Aftermarket amplifier/subwoofer

Looking to buy a 2014 Journey SXT within the next couple weeks. Doing some research I did find the 4.3 system it has in is not removable, which is disappointing as I have an AppRadio 2 which integrates well with my iPhone and android phones. I've given up on trying to make the appradio work and relocating the 4.3 as the Journey only has 10k miles on it and I don't want to mess up the warranty. I would, however like to integrate my existing aftermarket amp and subwoofer to the setup. I've messed with car electronics for the last 10-15 years, but never with a system that's so integrated with the car. I've seen posts of some PAC adapter which will give low level inputs, but it's nearly $70. Can't I just wire into the rear speakers with high level input, or does the Journey somehow prohibit this? Is the Journey pretty straightforward as any other install with factory radios, or is there anything special about this vehicle?

You are going to get the best signal using a line output converter, I would avoid using the high level inputs. You should also be able to find a nice LOC for a lot less than $70. I have heard that there is some issue with being able to amplify the door speakers with an aftermarket amp (something about the signal and CANbus), but I cannot verify and I am not aware of anyone on the site who has done this...

You are going to get the best signal using a line output converter, I would avoid using the high level inputs. You should also be able to find a nice LOC for a lot less than $70. I have heard that there is some issue with being able to amplify the door speakers with an aftermarket amp (something about the signal and CANbus), but I cannot verify and I am not aware of anyone on the site who has done this...

I only plan to drive a subwoofer via the aftermarket amp. The door speakers will stay on factory.

I only plan to drive a subwoofer via the aftermarket amp. The door speakers will stay on factory.

you should be fine then... I would seriously consider an LOC as it will perform better than the high level input (at least in my experience). Get one that has the remote wire built in and you won't have to run any additional wiring to the battery (beyond the amp lead).

• 4 months later...

I found an 8", 150 watt self amplified Kicker unit which fits under the drivers seat. It can pop my ears, and vibrate my pants if they are baggie enough. It will vibrate all of the mirrors. It came with a remote gain which is velcroed right next to the power port in the bin under the heater controls. I had no idea that it would sound this good. No RCA jacks required, and it ties into the 15a radio circuit. So, no monster cables going to the battery either. I put 6x9 Alpines in the door. I can turn the volume all the way up with no clipping or distortion, but my ears can't take it! I can now feel, as well as hear the music.

Edited by dhh3

• 2 weeks later...

I used my old JL Audio 12" BP in my trunk of the DJ and put JL amp under the driver seat and ran the wiring and bass control.. I have the upgraded stereo 8.4 uConnect as well. I just tapped into the low. Trust me, this JL thumps now as I hated the weak flimsy sub that came with the upgraded system. I am normally running the bass at -7 now and the cabin acts as the enclosure.

There are no replacement speakers for the dash, because of the shape of them. I'm looking at a set of Alpine tweeters to replace them with; either surface mount them, or drill round holes in the speaker grills. The sound should reverberate off of the windshield. If I do this, I'm done with the audio.

I would mount them in the sail panles.

What are "the sail panels"? I ordered the Alpine Tweeters. They surface mount - they have an angled mount so you can point them where you get the best sound, or they mount under the dash screens. There is also an odd shaped mounting plate which may align with the odd shaped dash speakers.

• 3 years later...

I installed a loc converter, tapped into my rear speaker door and now I get all sorts of electrical codes and air bag light is on. It is a 2011 dodge journey. I dont like where it is because when the door is opened you can see  wire. The amp is under the driver seat and grounded on the chassis I believe it is. Where else can the loc be installed.