Crossroad Hitch Install

NitroNoMore

@journey13 Looks great ?

I've had plenty of those "what the hell" moments and good for you to get it solved. I have the same 4 pin wiring harness, which was relatively easy to install, so I assume the 7 pin was a pain? I assume you have 2 separate commercial to the battery with a separate fuse on each? Or did you combine the two power supplies? 

In any case, great job...I didn't realize they had a...

CURT Manufacturing 58000 Easy Mount Electrical Bracket for 2" Receiver Tube

I'll have to take a look for that part. 

@Armando G Yeah, the WTF moment was from the 55774 to 56229 to 56330. The colors for all those do not match. What I did realize after 4hrs scratching my head is that the wires on 56330 do not even conform to the color codes identified in the actual Curt manual hahaha ...so needless to say, that did not help. Eventually, the mismatch in color wires between 55774 and 56229 was irrelevant as I discovered because the wires line up correctly at the end of 56229 (if that makes any sense). In the end, connecting 56229 to 56330 was simple. As for the battery, it is currently on the same battery. I have yet to install a 2nd one. Honestly, I doubt I will ever need it. Initially I just wanted a hitch to lug a bike rack in the back. However, my friends own a shop so they did all the work for nothing for me as they said 'let's do the works'. I did help but most of the work they did. The wiring was the only pain we encountered as the hitch was on the car within 2 hrs if not less. Also, the power is fused based on the 56330 harness, no cutting was done to that harness other than cutting off the 4 wire plug so I can connect it to the 56229 harness extension. We did run 3 cables from the back of the car to the front for power. One cable for when I eventually will add hitch lights in the back, another for the blue cable, and the third for the 56330 harness fused power.. The wires were connected as such from the 56330 harness to the 56229 extension: Black to Black, White to White, Yellow to Yellow, Brown to Brown, Green to Green, Blue to Blue,. The last and final wire, purple, is for the reverse light which connects into a wire in your left rear tail light, I believe it was a beige type wire. The blue one I have yet to connect as its for the electrical brakes. So if anyone has pointers where to find the connection i'm all ears. My understanding is its somewhere under the dash?

5 - YpZFW5b.jpg

Edited by journey13

On an additional note, we did remove/cut out the exhaust for this work; it made life simpler with running the wires while on the hoist as well as with the hitch install. 

And since my entire exhaust was out, I took advantage of the time and cleaned my original factory exhaust tips as well :P

Oh and that white plug with the blue end that you see in the first picture (just below the rear bumper on the left top side of the image), I never used it. In order to use it, you have to have the Journey computer flashed by the dealership at a cost of $100+.

35 - ViZouOk.jpg

17 - bafaHGA.jpg

Edited by journey13

So, in addition to the parts I mentioned that I used for my CURT Hitch installation, I will be getting these as well for the electronic braking system (blue wire)...

CURT Manufacturing 51500 Brake Control Wiring Kit

CURT Manufacturing 51170 Spectrum Original Equipment Style Electric Trailer Brake Controller, Proportional

CURT Manufacturing 51515 Brake Control Wiring Harness

Once I have completed the work, I will post an update and pictures.

Edited by journey13

Ok. Back to square one next Saturday hahaha...my wiring on the USCAR is all wrong FFS...I wired it based on the trailer side and not the vehicle side...*pulls out more hair*

Edited by journey13

Ok. So I now have my 2013 Dodge Journey R/T Rallye all wired up for a hitch with a fully functional USCAR 7 Wire and 4 pin connector based on the trandictional 7-Way R/V Blade Configuration.

Here is an image for everyone of what the wiring looks like. Please note, none of the color wires match, not even from CURT's documentation manuals. This took me 20 hrs to figure out.

Also, if you have a 2013 Dodge Journey or newer, you will find the 'reverse' light cable in the rear top quarter panel on the left side (it will be part of a green connector plug as shown in the picture attached). It will be one of the middle wires, one for each side (left and right) it doesn't matter which one you connect it to as long as it is the middle wire. Do note that the middle wires have 2 wires spliced into the middle, one is the wrong one. Please be sure to test it as it was frustrating.

If there is any questions, feel free to private message me or post here.

I never realized how involved installing a hitch would be in a Dodge Journey let alone expect it to take me 20hrs to figure this nonsense out. I don't know why CURT makes this so difficult.

Curtis - Trailer Box Wiring.gif

BNwhC2g - Imgur.jpg

Some other pictures to illustrate...

Please note that the wiring in the junction box is incomplete but all top connections are from the USCAR 7 harness while the bottom ones are from the vehicle and the Dodge Journey 4-pin harness.

Ir5CO4h - Imgur.jpg

xK9w1IU - Imgur.jpg

B6LvZSf - Imgur (2).jpg

You would think after all this I would be finished, far from it.

One thing left outstanding is the wiring for the Electrical Braking which is not done yet.

I have ordered the following parts for that:

CURT Manufacturing 51500 Brake Control Wiring Kit

CURT Manufacturing 51170 Spectrum Original Equipment Style Electric Trailer Brake Controller, Proportional

CURT Manufacturing 51515 Brake Control Wiring Harness

Once I have that complete, I will update with further documentation and pictures.

Until then, everything is wired on my journey with the exception of the Electrical Braking wire which is under the driver side steering column.

man you sure have went thur a lot it looks like,,,WTH are you going to be towing? i installed the curt hitch myself and also installed the curt led wire kit ( stayed with the 4 wire flat connector myself) later on my 2014 crossroad, took about 2 hrs for this old man

8 hours ago, 2late4u said:

man you sure have went thur a lot it looks like,,,WTH are you going to be towing? i installed the curt hitch myself and also installed the curt led wire kit ( stayed with the 4 wire flat connector myself) later on my 2014 crossroad, took about 2 hrs for this old man

To be honest, it was probably one of the worst projects I have ever undertaken for my vehicle; and I have done plenty in my lifetime. I have never came across wires from 3 seperate harnesses using different color schemes. Not to mention, not even follow the color codes of what each wire is in the actual manual. That just baffles me.

Anyway, as far as what I will be towing? HaHa TBH, I initially wanted to only put up a hitch to put on a bike rack ROFL For some stupid reason, I decided to do the works, the entire wiring apparatus. I guess I thought it would be an interesting project; only thing is, it turned out to be hell HaHa.

Honestly, I don't even know if I will ever put a trailer on it? How sad is that? This is despite going all out and even installing an electrical braking switch.

I guess parts of me found this interesting, the whole install hitch and wiring the harnesses. I missed working on cars. Last time I worked on cars was back in 2013 when I had a heavily modded Mustang with a supercharger. Mind you, some of the work was not done by me so I can't take all the credit but the projects back then were fun. At least the wires and colors matched up! Ha

So yeah, most likely just a hitch and a bike rack HaHa 

• 2 weeks later...

Well today, I got through the wiring under the hood into the driver side under the steering wheel. I still have to make the connection under the driver side but all the wires are there now including:

1x Electrical Brake wire from Hitch/USCAR connector

1x Ground for Electrical Braking System

1x 12+ Power for Electrical Braking System

1x On/Off Switch for Hitch Lights (the wiring has already been run to the hitch when I ran wires underneath the car last weekend)

In about 2 weeks time, I will be doing the final connection under the driver side for the electrical braking switch.

I had to remove the wipers on the driver side to get access to run the wires through a large rubber grommet as shown in pictures.

6 - 5QOw41B.jpg

9 - HEUGzbD.jpg

Great job @journey13.

Now, can you add a 360 degree backup camera for the trailer you'll probably never tow? That has always peaked my curiosity. 

I actually get what you're talking about. I work on my kids cars as a hobby when they need it. I refuse to do basic oil changes anymore (except on my bike), but I will jump in on some of the "interesting" stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I discovered that I had it wired correctly the 1st time LoL

It would appear there are two standards for wiring the USCAR connector. The one from the US is different from Canada. *pulls out hair* 

I was forced to swap the following wires:

Black with Green
Brown with Red
Blue and White

The one in the center for the reverse light is correct on both standards.

Thus, the 7-Way RV Blade is not correct for Canada as shown previously.

I have yet to make an updated image but have attached how my box looks now. Eventually when I get around, I will update the image.

bYIpFi5 - Imgur.jpg