+25mm offset?

ezyb

We're looking to put some new wheels on our 2012 SXT and after much searching we've realized how limited the selection is. We finally found a set of 17x8, 5x127 rims but the offset is +25mm which will push the wheels out by 10mm - is this too much? I measured and optically i think it will be ok, but I'm just wondering about the impact on bearings, suspension etc.

This might interest you. Go to http://www.car-part.com/ put in the appropriate info, Year, Dodge Journey, Wheel (displayw/image), your region, and zip code, and a list of wheels at local auto recyclers will come up. Some with prices, grades and where they are. Suggestion. Start with 2011 model year as there will be 17 inch alloy wheels listed there and all 17 inch Journey wheels will fit yours. I noticed two pages of wheels for the southeast..

Your calculations are a bit off. I believe the OEM wheels have a offset of 37, so there is a 12mm difference. BUT, the stock wheels are also only 7" wide and the ones you are planning on buying are 8", so you have to add 1/2" (~12mm) on top of the offset. So in reality, those rims will sit almost 1" further out than the stock wheels.

In my opinion, the stock wheels are tucked too much into the wheel arches to begin with. The 25 offset would make the wheels more flush to the body and will look much nicer.

Edited by FROGBOX

This is just my Opinion so if you dont agree with me thats quite alright.

If your Journey has 17"X7" now why wouldnt you go to at least 19" (Maybe your not doing this for looks but it would look much better). You can go 9" wide and not have any issues with clearance. I put 20"X9" on mine and I dont have any issues with clearance and I dont use more gas at all either. Just a thought.

Thanks everyone. It's crazy how little some tire shops seem to know/care. I had a guy look at me like I was crazy for even considering putting anything on the car less than +40mm offset!

DTSGUY - We thought about going larger to 19 or more, but when we started factoring in the cost of new tires etc the numbers became eye-watering. We have found a nice set of 18 x 8.5 though that we're seriously considering. They're +30mm offset so I think will work nicely.