Accidentaly into reverse

RickC

So last week my wife and I are driving along (she is driving), and someone pull out in front of us. The ABS saved us from taking out a little Toyota. Anyway, one of the complaints my wife has about her Journey is that there is no place to put her purse. She can't put it on the floor on her side because it gets caught on the hood release, and it's not a good place because it could get lodged behind the brake. Anyway, back to my point. So she keep her purse on the center arm rest. Well, when we slammed on the brakes, it flew forward and knocked the shifter into reverse (because there is no reverse lock-out feature as discussed here in a different thread). We had no idea that happened until she put her foot on the gas and almost took out the car behind us!

I just wanted to remind all you Journey owners that the shifter can easily get bumped from drive into reverse. That goes for flying purses, pets, AND kids.

• 5 weeks later...

what does your wife want with a purse??/ she has the journies cubby holes to fill!!!! LOL!!!!

seriously, though, that is/can be a problem, knocking the shifter into reverse.... on the UK stick shift, you have a collar to lift prior to putting it into rev!!!

The girlfriend was reaching for something in the back seat while we were driving down the highway doing 70 mph and she kicked it into reverse! The rpms came up first until I realized she put it in neutral and then she put it in reverse. Car made a slight thunk or clunk noise and then seemed like it stayed in neutral. I even seen the back up camera turn on. After she was done I put it back into drive and everything seems fine.