Looking for Opinions - Audio Upgrade

I would be interested to see if the stock sub location could be utilized for an upgraded 10" (probably have to be a shallow sub).

The Audio Control LC2i looks interesting. Pretty much the same concept right? Splice into your speakers to create preamp outputs. But this one lets you control level adjustments it looks like. Is that why it costs so much more?

I think you'll be fine with the stock dash speakers. That would be a pain to pull the dash to swap them out anyways I'm sure.

More or less a fancy LOC, but it does some things with the signal too like stop the bass drop off programmed in the stock stereo, gives bass control in the front of the vehicle, and provides a cleaner and stronger signal to the amp. Audio Control has been making top of the line audio products for decades. Only the best from what I've heard/seen.

I think the speaker grills pop out of the dash pretty easy, they look separate from the dash...

The stock sub is on the driver's side, right? I was looking at the passenger side because it looks like there is more room. I haven't had the panel off yet though, so who knows what is back there...

More or less a fancy LOC, but it does some things with the signal too like stop the bass drop off programmed in the stock stereo, gives bass control in the front of the vehicle, and provides a cleaner and stronger signal to the amp. Audio Control has been making top of the line audio products for decades. Only the best from what I've heard/seen.

I think the speaker grills pop out of the dash pretty easy, they look separate from the dash...

The stock sub is on the driver's side, right? I was looking at the passenger side because it looks like there is more room. I haven't had the panel off yet though, so who knows what is back there...

Yeah, the stock 8" sub is on the driver's side. I tried popping off the panel once, but it looks pretty involved to get to the sub (have to remove rear seats and the headrest cover). The passenger side I believe houses the HVAC system for the rear heat/AC so I don't think there will be any room on that side unfortunetely.

You guys aren't getting my drift! You can't pull a signal from the speaker wires! It's a Canbus signal! Without the load from the speaker the stereo doesn't send a signal.

Your exclamation points don't get your point across as well as presenting information would... I know you tried this, but the details of what exactly you tried and what the results were would be very useful. Might even get yours going too.

Why wouldn't it see a load? The factory wiring will still be used in the dash and rear, and the fronts will run to the Audio Control units from the speaker leads in the doors... Worst case I can put some resistors in, but I don't see why it wouldn't create a load unless I didn't use the factory wiring. I guess I'll find out when I do it.

Edited by Lobitz68

What am searching for? Peoples opinions about my plan? I don't think that I will find anything.

I've asked you several times for a constructive conversation about your experiences, but you don't seem interested so I'll let it go. I come on these forums in hopes of learning something new or transferring some of my knowledge to others. When people have knowledge to offer I like to tap into it. You're never too old to learn something new. I was hoping you would share yours, but you just keep saying the same thing over and over and don't want to take the time to help. That is fine. When I fry my stereo I will message you first so you have a chance to say "I (sort of) told you so (without really saying anything at all)!" Until then, thanks for making this a better forum, and enjoy your weekend. :shift:

• 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere in this post about swapping HUs with the 8.4" screen. Right now, my 2 week old DJ has been at my dealer for 4 days to install a BU camera. All of the interior panels are either off, or loose on the driver's side. The third row left seat is out. The plastic storage area behind the third row is out. The control panel below the screen is out. If a sub is supposed to be installed on the driver's side of the third row, there doesn't look like there is enough room for an 8" sub! Maybe it is a 6X9! LOL Back to the HU. The screen is still in the car. There is a silver box on the passenger front seat. It looks like the old Mygigs, but without a screen. This is where the speakers plug in, along with the antennas, back up camera and power. It also has the slots for the CD player and the SD Card. I do not know how it would be possible to swap out this HU. If you want to add an amp (I did this in my Nitro that I traded for the DJ), You cut the speaker wires as they leave the silver box (HU?), and solder in speaker wire-to-RCA jacks to the cut wires running to the speakers. Then run these RCAs to the amp. The return wires from the amp will be a speaker wire harness. This harness gets soldered to the wires running to the speakers. Swap out your speakers, and you are done. This operation has no effect on the CanBus. Try and find a set of speakers for the front that have a crossover to convert the dash speakers to tweeters only. I think that the speaker wires for the dash come from the front doors. At least my Nitro was this way. Or, just add one. Hope this helps you guys in some way. I was wishing that my DJ came with the system upgrade, but now I am glad it did not. Alpine makes a small, powerful amp that should fit under the passenger front seat; if that is where you are saying that the factory front amp is installed. There is a factory amp on ebay for $150, but I think I will pass after reading this!

Edited by dhh3