"chrome" rims bubbling/peeling

sexyRTboi

Curious question ... I've brought it up to my stealership before about my "chrome" rims pitting,peeling and bubbling pretty badly on the lip - all 4 rims - He told me at 35,000Kms that its not covered under the warranty as its "wear and tear" ......

Well I noticed tonight while washing the DJ that holy smokes has it ever gotten bad !!! .... it goes just about all the way around each rim ..... when I rub it with my fingers I can feel the bubbling roughness ......... at 55,000kms this just doesn't seem right to me ....

I can take pics tomorrow in the light, but am I just being picky or has anyone else noticed this as well? if so, did you have any success with getting it repaired?

I don't have the chrome rims so I don't know if this a chronic problem or not but I have to ask....are you using any harsh chemicals or anything abrasive when you clean them? Also, if your warranty does not cover go to a rim repair shop which will have them looking like new again if you decide to keep the same rims. Here is one place that is London, ON

http://www.londonwheelrepair.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Adwords&utm_campaign=Repair&gclid=CMPLkd_dsr4CFQcSMwod81cAKg

Edited by Journey_SeXT

hey ... no, no harsh crazy chemicals ... my rule of thumb is, if it drips onto my fingers and burns or tingles, it does not go near the DJ .... so its typically just very mild auto soap and some elbow grease ........ I'll take a pic of the rim and show ya

Good, rims do not need any cleaners (even ones stating mild) as the dirt should clean off easy with just soap, water and a sponge. Sorry if you felt like I'm accusing you of poor auto care product choices but I had to ask to rule out the possibility of harsh chemicals.

okay, so I took the pics ... whoa ! they are BAD ! ............. and no worries bout the cleaner comment, I know what you meant ... lol ... I don't even use the automatic drill thingys to clean them .... just sit on my butt infront of the rim and get in and out of everything .........

.... I cant seem to past the IMG link to the forum though from photobucket ..... *facepalm

*** OH just managed to upload them to the site in general, just cant into this topic :(

Edited by sexyRTboi

I was understanding that the (OE) "CHROME" wheels were all cladded

on the DJ at this point in time,so plastic chrome coated.

Are these what you have?

That's how all of the Chrysler rims I've ever seen are...

My Ram had this very badly in the same spot, around the edge. On the Ram the lip was not actually part of the chrome clad cover, so just the lip was doing it. Never tried to have them fix it as I bought it used with no warranty.

I took a look at the pics in the gallery and it looks exactly like my old Ram wheels. My best suggestion would be to tape of the chrome portion of the wheel and sand down the corrosion and other defects. At that point you could either clear coat the lip or even PlastiDip it black (to blend in with the tire) or aluminum (to blend in with the rest of the wheel). That should stop the corrosion and clean it up so it isn't so obvious.

I have the chrome clad wheel covers too...almost 60k miles on them. Mine are still in perfect condition. They get washed every month or so with auto soap and wheel scrubber brush. Nothing else besides that.

Although my sunny california location probably helps :). Only seen snow in this vehicle for probably 2 weeks since I've owned it.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 2200.00 on chrome rims for my journey. I live in the northwest where they put salt on roads in winter, also I live next to the beach. Mine did this the first winter. Its caused by salt and chemicals. I was told I should have gotten poliched aluminum as it will not corrode. Sure wish someone had told me that before I purchased. Now 3yrs later they aren't corroding on the outside parts, but in the inbetweens of the spokes, and gets worse each year. Next time I will get polished aluminum. But will wait til I get a newer Journey as the phased out 16 inch wheels and cannot find my size anymore.

well I must say, yet again, Elgin Chrysler in St.Thomas Ontario is absolutely incredible!!!

I'm putting new tires on the Journey today (Wednesday), so I wanted to have the service mgr look at the corrosion on the rims prior to getting tires put on (so Dodge couldn't come back and say the damage was caused by mounting tires or something)

Anyways, stopped by, unannounced and Scott the service mgr came right outside and took a look at the rims ..... without missing a beat .... without me having to ask he simply said, "nope! that's not right ... we'll get you new ones" ................... that's it ...... lol ! I couldn't believe what I heard so I followed him inside as he was getting some paperwork out .... he was going to take some pictures and I told him that I already had some ..... emailed them to his dealer account ... he said perfect and is ordering me 4 brand new 19" "chrome" rims this week UNDER WARRANTY ...

Man I love this dealership ! .................. which Im sure are words uttered by no one EVER LOL

well I must say, yet again, Elgin Chrysler in St.Thomas Ontario is absolutely incredible!!!

I'm putting new tires on the Journey today (Wednesday), so I wanted to have the service mgr look at the corrosion on the rims prior to getting tires put on (so Dodge couldn't come back and say the damage was caused by mounting tires or something)

Anyways, stopped by, unannounced and Scott the service mgr came right outside and took a look at the rims ..... without missing a beat .... without me having to ask he simply said, "nope! that's not right ... we'll get you new ones" ................... that's it ...... lol ! I couldn't believe what I heard so I followed him inside as he was getting some paperwork out .... he was going to take some pictures and I told him that I already had some ..... emailed them to his dealer account ... he said perfect and is ordering me 4 brand new 19" "chrome" rims this week UNDER WARRANTY ...

Man I love this dealership ! .................. which Im sure are words uttered by no one EVER LOL

Good deal. Gotta love it when they do their job without having to battle...

That is great that you gave a plug to the dealership as it seems they deserve some recognition for their outstanding service. :)

• 2 weeks later...