any suggestions on using wider diameter tires aside from the stock 225/55/19 ?

Navi

Has anyone used wider tires on their existing 19" Journey rims ? I'm planning on replacing my 225/55/19 tires into 245/55/19 or 235/55/19 tires to give the vehicle a much wider grip on the road for the spring/summer season and give the journey a more sportier look. Will it fit into the wheel well and cause problems when turning the wheel ? Any suggestions on tire brands that other members have used?

Remember that the second number (sidewall height) in the tire size is relative to the first (width). In other words if you buy a wider tire with the same sidewall height value (i.e., 55 in this case), the sidewall will actually be taller than a skinnier tire with the same value. So if you keep with the same sidewall value your tire will be a larger diameter, adding miles to your vehicle and throwing off your speedo. Just a heads up in case you weren't aware of that.

When I need to replace my kumhos, I will likely go with something in the range of 245/50/19. If I remember correctly, that size is nearly spot on for diameter to the 225/55/19. Almost no speedo change and wider for a larger traction patch. There are a few speedo calculators out there to compare tire sizes. Not sure about rubbing with turns.

Peace.

• 1 month later...

I had to replace the kumhos last September as two of them had belts breaking up inside the tires which was creating vibration issues. Replaced with Goodyear TripleTread 235/55X19 and have not had a problem and I live in South Central Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used wider tires on their existing 19" Journey rims ?

When I replaced the Kumho's on my 2010 R/T AWD I went from Kumho 225/55/19 to Michelin Latitude HP 235/55/19 which were much more prevalent. Really there is only a 10mm difference in width and I ended up putting them on my stock wheels, they worked well and I have had no problems in 8 months. There have been some people on this forum who had problems so they may want to chime in here.

Terry

Not sure if there is a calibration for the DJ speedo, but you can just choose a tire size that approximates the same radius as the OEM tire and rim setup. Much easier than dealing with service personnel at the dealership. There are calculators on the web. Just google it.

Good Luck.

Peace.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...