Map light LED install (with pics)

First set of LEDs came in the mail. Wanted to share with everyone to show how simple it is.

First the link to the bulbs on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DHXSSQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005DHXSSQ&linkCode=as2&tag=kinsrev0a-20&linkId=QRKRGQDOXEFN4YL7

Next, here is what I received: post-8780-0-74977300-1399863236_thumb.jp

To install the new bulbs, you will need just a small flat head screw drive and gloves (unless you don't mind hot bulbs on your fingers).

If you look at the image of the removed cover, post-8780-0-76393500-1399863234_thumb.jp there are two hinges that control the pivot of the map light cover (which also serves as the switch). Use the flat head screwdriver to slowly ease the hinges out. As you can see, they are really delicate. Should pop out easily.

Here is the old bulb. My owner's manual says 578s. Looks like 194 to me. post-8780-0-23831300-1399863232_thumb.jp Should pull out easily.

Add your new bulbs. post-8780-0-61617800-1399863238_thumb.jp Activate the switch to make sure it works. If not, switch the polarity by installing the bulb the other way.

Viola! post-8780-0-12851800-1399863240_thumb.jp

Edited by SeoulJourney

I wish it was that easy to upgrade the 2012 DJ map lights. The stock ones on my vehicle are already LED, but too dim of an LED for my tastes. I looked at them to see what bulb type they were so I could replace them. Turns out they're some wierd integrated panel...looks like I'd have to solder in a new set of bulbs if I wanted to upgrade.

I wish it was that easy to upgrade the 2012 DJ map lights. The stock ones on my vehicle are already LED, but too dim of an LED for my tastes. I looked at them to see what bulb type they were so I could replace them. Turns out they're some wierd integrated panel...looks like I'd have to solder in a new set of bulbs if I wanted to upgrade.

What about the rest of the lights? I'm going to install the the cargo lamps in the next day or so. It should help brighten up the interior.

What about the rest of the lights? I'm going to install the the cargo lamps in the next day or so. It should help brighten up the interior.

Yeah I already replaced the rest of the interior lights and it made a nice difference. Just the map lights that I can't change out. Can't believe dodge was too cheap to put LED's everywhere but the cargo area.

Hmmm... I don't find my lights to be too dim... It is definitely a soft light, but it illuminates the vehicle plenty for my needs. I actually prefer the softer light as it is less distracting when driving at night with them on (I assume that was the point of the soft light). I'm not sure about the 2012, but the ones in my 2014 also seem to have a projector-like lens on them which seems to help focus them in a smaller area rather than scattering light everywhere.

Yeah I already replaced the rest of the interior lights and it made a nice difference. Just the map lights that I can't change out. Can't believe dodge was too cheap to put LED's everywhere but the cargo area.

I find it odd too, but there must be seem logical explanation (no idea what it is though, ha!)... I don't think it was out of a need to be cheap.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

On my 2011 DJ Mainstreet I have these circular looking lights (3 sets over each row of seats) that are LED and I want to change them out to blue LED's but I can't figure out how to access the bulbs in those circular housings. Any ideas?