A Strange Thing Happened Today

Normally after I update my iPod and plug it in, my uconnect system begins some sort of scan of the iPod contents. During that time, the browse feature is not available. It generally begins playing the same first songs. As an aside, I can't figure out why these songs are first, but it is consistent. Billy Squier first. Whatever. . . The initial scan usually takes about 40,seconds per gig on the iPod.

TODAY though, after an iTunes update of my iPod, there was no scan and the latest updated content was there. Browse was immediately available too. This has never happened before. Very happy if this is the behavior that will consistently follow.

The only thing that has changed recently was a software update to enable my DRLs (Thanks Journeyman) in concert with an oil change. Not sure if this had anything to do with it. I will update after my next iPod update.

Do other's have this update delay behavior?

Peace.

I have an iPhone 4S. I usually listen to streaming music via Bluetooth. Occasionally, I'll connect it to the car via the USB port. When I do, it behaves like yours - always begins with the same song - Airstream by Pat Metheny. While it plays, the system reads the contents of the library like yours and the browse feature and album artwork, etc is not available until it is done. This often takes a couple of minutes at least. There was a recent software update to my iPhone but I don't think I've connected it via cable since then. I'll try it sometime this week and see if it behaves differently.

The reconfiguration to the DRL (you're welcome! :) ) should not have had any bearing whatsoever on the media system's behavior. It is really not an update, but more akin to adding a registry file like on a Windows-based PC.

If you keep updating the iPod, eventually something is going to go bad. Every iOS update takes it further and further away from how the radio was designed - and you're never going to see a radio update to keep up.

As long as your music library contents don't change, the initial plugin should be fast. It should only index if you swap iPods or make changes to the music library.

Mine takes forever since new as you have described after an update and now my Nav is displaying "cannot unlock maps OK"

The Cherokee is instant which I thought was strange

If you haven't tried installing maps and get the unlock error, it's time for a new radio. Some of them have flakey flash memory in the Garmin module, and they tend to get worse over time. Get it replaced at a dealership.

The Cherokee is using the 2nd gen system (assuming you're talking about an 8.4A/8.4AN system) that doesn't use the awful Gracenote onboard database to manage your music. It's much faster, and much better.

*Update*

Over the weekend my uconnect did finally recognize that my iPod content had changed and began the cataloging process after an engine restart. It also had some odd behavior. On two occasions it displayed a different song that it was playing, and one time it displayed the correct song, but had no sound. Once I forwarded the song, the next song had the correct title and in the case of no sound, the next song had sound. After that iPod behaved as it normally does. I used the radio the rest of the weekend. Radio, Nav, Phone seem fine.

Sometimes I think that some of the uconnect iPod issues stem from the software in my iPod classic. Maybe the software in it is older and more weird. I don't know. I do know that I F'n hate gracenote. I leave that turned off always.

Peace.

Well. . . My Unconnect did it again. No cataloging and all my new content was there after an iPod update. After I did it, I noticed that I made a typo on a song title, so I disconnected the iPod and corrected that in iTunes and re-synched my iPod. Same thing. No cataloging and the typo was corrrected. Weird. After a few errands of parking and restarting the DJ, Uconnect never did re-catalog. Dunno.

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman