Cargo Area - Journey

Journey41

Just a question for any Journey owners out there that are golfers.

Can you lay golf clubs and bags across the cargo area between the wheel wells? This is one of the criterias that is on our list when shopping for a new ride.

We have tried them all from every mfg and the Journey is on the short list. We could bring the Journey home and try however the clubs are stored away this time of year and hard to get at. A lot of the vehicles we have reviewed are too narrow and need to have the rear seats folded down to accomodate the clubs. This won't work as we usually travel with another couple.

Thanking you in advance for any detail received.

If you have the 5 seater, its not a problem from what I remember. The 7 seater has to have the back row folded down though, there is almost 0 cargo space with those back 2 seats up. For info, I have owned both models and if you really want 7 seats and cargo space, get a Caravan or a Durango, otherwise, save the cash and get the 5 seater. Those back seats are for tiny people only!

• 1 month later...

I golf every week. Have put my clubs in with seats down and up. I have the 5 seater. The best answer is in the form of a question. What size bag(s) do you have and are trying to put in the back. Normal size bags fit fine. Larger bags may be an issue.

Brought a 2014 DJ R/T home this week to see if our clubs would fit. My wife and I both have standard size bags not the tour size. The clubs would not fit between the wheel wells. They had to be put in on an angle much like the Equinox. If the woods were removed then they would fit. I was surprised at first however when looking at the cargo area I realised that Chrysler finishes the wheel well area off to accommodate the third row if required. They have a drink holder etc. This takes away from the width between the wheel wells.

The club accommodation is important to us as we do travel with friends and have the need to accommodate the clubs between the wells. My current ride (2010 Santa Fe LTD) does accommodate the clubs between the wells and the 2014 SFS and Kia Sorento also have this feature. They are the only two so far that we have tested that have this nice wide cargo area. We have tried everything in his segment. Also found another flaw in the DJ 8.4 screen as shown in my post under First Impression.

I guess if it is really important there are other way around it. For instance, one could fabricate something to elevate one end of the bags when you needed to fit a bunch of bags in the car. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a bigger vehicle...