Another Service AWD

Mommyszoom

My wife owns a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT AWD... she has owned the car for 5 months, it was a used dealer demo with 13K miles. Obviously the car still has the remainder of the 36/36 and 5 year 100K powertrain, we also purchased the Moper maximum care extended warranty with the car. The first snowfall, while my wife was driving the service AWD light came on, along with the ABS and traction control light. As soon as the roads dried out the car was fine again....then the next snow, same thing... only this time the car acted like it didn't want to accelerate. The cruise control also would not work.

My wife got the car into the dealer today (same one we bought the car from) and they ran the diagnostics, it showed an issue with the left front speed sensor. They pulled the wheel and discovered the left front speed sensor is completely broken. We have not hit anything, heard anything hit anything... haven't been in gravel... the car has only been on blacktop. I am registered, as is the car on Dodge.com owner area. I can see all the dealer service records, and one of the service records indicates that this dealer performed some type of maintenance on the left front brake and suspension, but that is literally all it says "Left front brake and suspension"

Is this a warranty claim?

If not, given that I can prove this dealer did work on that left front "brake/suspension" and it is more likely that the sensor was broken by them, rather than my wife driving the car back and forth to work, shouldn't they just fix it? They had to order the part, but she was given an invoice for the work they did today, and was charged nothing, not even a diagnostics charge. I am taking the car back in tomorrow, if they come back with something outrageous I think I am going to go off...then just leave, I can get the speed sensor genuine OEM covered by warranty for 30 bucks online.

I was just curious if it should be covered by warranty.

It should be covered by warranty. welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome

My wife absolutely loves the car...she is kind of bummed about the whole AWD issue especially since we have been getting quite a bit of snow for this area... not that she minds taking my RAM, she stands in the kitchen and hits the remote start with a big smile on her face then tosses me her fob to the DJ.

There is no reason why the repair cannot be covered by the warranty. There are warranty claim codes that are written specifically for broken parts. If the vehicle is within the provisions of the warranty - and it is - a claim for a broken speed sensor will get paid by the factory to the dealer. To quote from the warranty booklet, which was supplied to you with your Owner's Manual:

The Basic Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts

and labor needed to repair any item on your vehicle

when it left the manufacturing plant that is defective in

material, workmanship or factory preparation. There is

no list of covered parts since the only exception are tires

and Unwired headphones. You pay nothing for these

repairs. These warranty repairs or adjustments—including

all parts and labor connected with them — will be

made by your dealer at no charge, using new or remanufactured

parts.

Do not pay for this repair; you are entitled to a warranty claim for it.

There is no reason why the repair cannot be covered by the warranty. There are warranty claim codes that are written specifically for broken parts. If the vehicle is within the provisions of the warranty - and it is - a claim for a broken speed sensor will get paid by the factory to the dealer. To quote from the warranty booklet, which was supplied to you with your Owner's Manual:

The Basic Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts

and labor needed to repair any item on your vehicle

when it left the manufacturing plant that is defective in

material, workmanship or factory preparation. There is

no list of covered parts since the only exception are tires

and Unwired headphones. You pay nothing for these

repairs. These warranty repairs or adjustments—including

all parts and labor connected with them — will be

made by your dealer at no charge, using new or remanufactured

parts.

Do not pay for this repair; you are entitled to a warranty claim for it.

Thank you very much, exactly the type of response I was hoping to get. My wife is all freaking out...lol she went online and started pricing parts, and of course she was pricing the wrong parts and looking at stuff that costs 300 bucks....she has this costing us 500 bucks in her mind. I told her A- speed sensors are 30 bucks online, B- we shouldn't be paying to fix this.. its a warranty claim. Although I couldn't say it with certainty because I really didn't know how it would be handled since the sensor is completely broken off. Looking at the diagram of it, I am also dumbfounded as to how this thing would get completely broke off through simple daily driving. I am convinced that when they fixing whatever it is they were fixing on the front left "Brake and suspension" , they broke this sensor. When she first got the car.. there were a couple of times it acted funny during rapid acceleration...like it fell on its face and the traction control light flickered, but the car was on dry pavement., I even told her I didn't like that, i wanted the car to go when I told it to go..I am trying to get on the interstate. She asked if it worried me, I told her no..that is what traction control does, it will cut your power back to maintain traction, but it shouldn't be doing it on dry pavement like that, especially with the car already moving. I kind of wrote that instance off because her tire pressure monitors showed one front tire at 35 psi, and another at 30...I figured that might have been messing with it a little so I evened them all out at 32psi. I don't drive the car very much..but she told me a few weeks later that the car had done it again... like it didn't want to go for a second. I just told her to start turning the traction control off. It all leads me to believe that this sensor as always been broken...and it didn't start really creating problems until it showed.

Anyway, sorry for the book, and thank you very much for the responses. Dodge owners rock...I typically get the same type of thing on the Ram truck forums when I have a question and I appreciate it, the thing that used to aggravate me on the Silvy forums before I got rid of that truck was asking a question trying to fix an issue...checking back a couple of days later and seeing 367 views, 0 replies. But ohhhhh if you posted a picture of a new grill you just bought... 5 pages of "looks good man" "where did you get that?" "did you have to mod anything to install that"

Anyway, sorry for the book, and thank you very much for the responses. Dodge owners rock...I typically get the same type of thing on the Ram truck forums when I have a question and I appreciate it, the thing that used to aggravate me on the Silvy forums before I got rid of that truck was asking a question trying to fix an issue...checking back a couple of days later and seeing 367 views, 0 replies. But ohhhhh if you posted a picture of a new grill you just bought... 5 pages of "looks good man" "where did you get that?" "did you have to mod anything to install that"

You will never find a more dedicated group of people than Mopar fans. They are the best!!

Good luck with your repairs

You will never find a more dedicated group of people than Mopar fans. They are the best!!

Good luck with your repairs

I have found this to be very true. I've been a member of the 300M Enthusiasts Club since its inception in 2001 and they are extremely helpful and friendly - the comraderie is contagious.