winter tires in FLORIDA ...

sexyRTboi

so here's a question for the masses.

We're leaving snowy cold S.W Ontario on Feb 13th and driving to Miami Florida to catch an 8 day cruise to the tropics. We won't be taking the DJ as we have a Hybrid for long road trips like that and can literally make it to Florida on a tank and a half of gas (2400kms).

The question is though, we have brand new snow tires on the Optima Hybrid, and while the temps and weather all the way to Atlanta should be fine for running on snow tires, once you get to Southern Georgia and into Florida I'm seeing temps even this week of 17'C- 27'C !! ..... yay but yikes! .....

Are we going to just wear the hell out of the brand new snows driving in that sort of weather ? (1065kms from Atlanta to Miami than back again)

I would think yes cause they wear out fast in temps above 40 degrees. I just bought a new set of Blizzak tires and I live in Colorado. We took a road trip to California for Christmas and I put my summer tires back on cause I didnt want to wear them out. Im so glad I did cause it was very warm and I drove a lot. Im back in Colorado now and I still havent put the Blizzaks back on cause the weather has been really nice lately.

For that lo

so here's a question for the masses.

We're leaving snowy cold S.W Ontario on Feb 13th and driving to Miami Florida to catch an 8 day cruise to the tropics. We won't be taking the DJ as we have a Hybrid for long road trips like that and can literally make it to Florida on a tank and a half of gas (2400kms).

The question is though, we have brand new snow tires on the Optima Hybrid, and while the temps and weather all the way to Atlanta should be fine for running on snow tires, once you get to Southern Georgia and into Florida I'm seeing temps even this week of 17'C- 27'C !! ..... yay but yikes! .....

Are we going to just wear the hell out of the brand new snows driving in that sort of weather ? (1065kms from Atlanta to Miami than back again)

For that low mileage I would not worry about it. The amount of wear will be small. The police here in Winnipeg use winter tires year round on their cruisers as changeover/storage is time consuming and costly (yes it gets hot in summer!) with no problems. They replace the tires every October anyway due to high mileage.

You won't need winter tires are anywhere south of central NY.

I know it's winter but winter tires are for the snow, and we don't have any around here.

Besides, when if snows southern of NY, it's like an inch or 2. You have better things to worry about. Like black ice, and fatigue while driving.

I drive on all season Michelin's year round. Never felt the need for winter tires, and I live in Westchester, NY

Well boo ..... now we have to play out our cards here. The OEM tires from KIA were incredible ! .... my DJ NEEDS new tires with only 52,000kms highway driving on them ..... we just took the OEMs off the Optima that now has 112,000kms and they're ready to be replaced ..... so our plan was to put new tires on in the spring when we switch from snows ..... looks like we might have to put brand new tires on NOW before we leave ...... :( ...... that's an expense we weren't planning on ......

Part of me just says let's take the chance as from what I've checked out we'll be in "cold weather" until Atlanta but than the rest of the 1300kms to Miami is in the high teens (C') ....... but I'll be so PO'd if we wear them out significantly ..... plus I would be kicking myself not listening to you guys ..... lol ....... hmmmmm .... we have 22 days to make a decision ....

Thanks for everyone's input .... (anyone from Southern Georgia area that can chime in on the weather?)