Can I tow it???

cburch0925

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey and a 2013 Scion TC. My wife and I are moving from Utah to Texas in a few months but we want to make a vacation out of it (over to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Etc) it will be about 2,000 miles. The problem is she just had surgery and will most likely not be able to drive that distance following me, so I'm looking for another option to get both vehicles there...

I'm wondering if my Dodge is capable of towing the Scion on a 2-wheel dolly that whole distance (about 2,000 miles). I've done a little research on these forums saw that the 2012 Journeys only have a towing capacity of 2,500lbs. WHAT!? I haven't weighed the Scion but online it says that 2013 Scion TC's weighs 3070lbs (this seems really high...)

Is towing the Scion a remotely feasable possibility??? Is there anything I can do to make it work???

The dodge would have my wife, 2 dogs, myself, and luggage (about 800-900lb) and towing the Scion (about 3100lbs).

Thank you for your help!

Edited by cburch0925

Don't know right off hand, but your owners manual should tell you how much you can safely haul/tow with your car. There is also the door sticker which lists things like GVWR and such that you also need to pay attention too.

Edited by jkeaton

I do a fair amount of towing... My considered opinion? Don't try it. Despite what a lot of people say/think, the DJ is not a truck, is not even an SUV and it doesn't have the underpinnings or hardware necessary for that type of towing for that long of a distance. While the DJ can be equipped with a "Tow Package" (and I'm guessing yours isn't?), it is still aimed at towing small boats or utility trailers with some mulch or a dirt bike on it, not for long distance towing with a bordline overloaded vehicle and load... There are a couple of folks on this forum that tow pop-up campers, but, those are considerably lighter than your Scion and the DJ's aren't as loaded as what you are describing. I'll put a trailer hitch on my DJ, but, only to hold my bicycle rack. Any other towing is done by my RAM 2500 CTD.

The short answer is a resounding no. Webslave is spot on. I wouldn't even think of towing another car with my Journey - even a SmartCar (my daughter's boyfriend has one - it weighs around 1500 lbs). By the time you factor in the tongue rating, safety margins, etc, you'd be lucky to tow half the weight of the Scion. A Journey is designed to tow light trailers - nothing more.

According to Dodge my '06 Ram 1500 as currently configured has a tow rating of 7,750 lbs - by the time I factor in the tongue weight, safety margin (10-15%) and other other cargo, the max weight I can tow is around 5,000-6,000 lbs.

Best I can suggest is find another driver, ship it, or drive the Journey down, fly back and then drive the Scion.

Webslave and Doug are correct. The Journey is passenger car based and its tow rating should be strictly adhered to. I tow a 1200 lb pop-up camper with mine and it handles that just fine, but even with my family and our gear in the car with the camper in tow we are close to the limit. The rig is stable and secure but I would not want to load it up any more than we do.