Bad vibration at 2500 rpms

Hey everyone! While doing some Googl'ing I found ya'll :). Anyway, this is what I have going on:

2010 sxt awd 6 cyl 6 speed auto 106,xxx miles.

Yesterday, the car started jerking to the right at random times and not subtle at all. Kind of unnerving to handle while driving in snow! Turning off the ESC seemed to alleviate it, but not eliminate it.

Today I leave for work at now at 2500 rpms there is an awful vibration as if I were traveling over rumble strips. Doesn't happen below 2500 and doesn't happen above. Trans is slow to shift while in the 2500 range.

It'll be 5 days before I can get an appointment at a dealer within driving distance. 2 smaller shops checked on it and were dumbfounded. No codes showing for engine or trans.

Frustrating, to say the least. Prior to this I had no issues whatsoever with my Journey and was such a pleasure to drive :(

Drive the car until the vibration begins at 2500 RPM. With your foot holding the speed steady on the accelerator, lightly apply the brake with your other foot and see if the vibration stops and then comes back. Please make sure the traffic conditions are safe for you to do this! :) Repeat the test a couple of times. If the vibration stops when the brake is applied and then comes back shortly after you release the brake, you may have a bad torque converter. Brake application often unlocks the converter; that is the purpose of this test. We had a 2010 3.5 Journey at my shop last week with the same symptoms as you describe, and that is the problem. Parts are currently on order for this customer's car. The problem could be snowpack too, but I would expect that to occur at a particular vehicle speed rather than engine RPM and would not expect it to affect shifting.

Thanks for the update. I've seen those C/V joints go bad in other vehicles - usually on the front driveshafts on older Durango, Dakota and Grand Cherokee models; they are not serviced separately like universal joints are, and require the replacement of the entire shaft. At least it is way less expensive than a torque converter!