Do 18" Jeep Wrangler Wheels fit on a R/T

Mike Bennett

I just changed company cars from a RWD Charger to a AWD Journey R/T. I have a set of good 18" winter tires from the Charger (215/65-18) and I was looking for a cheap way to make them work on the Journey which has 19" wheels standard equipment.

To make as short question long, has anyone tried Wrangler 18" alloys on their Journey? There are many sets of almost new take off 18" Wrangler wheels available for sale and they look like an inexpensive way to go if they fit. I know they have the same bolt pattern, similar off-set - back spacing.

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks,

Mike

post-7804-0-06246900-1383435316_thumb.jp

[snip] I have a set of good 18" winter tires from the Charger (215/65-18) and I was looking for a cheap way to make them work on the Journey which has 19" wheels standard equipment.[/snip]

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

What Frogbox said; plus, the 215 65 18 has an overall diameter of 29" vs. 28.74" of the standard 19" with the 225 55 19 tire. So you're oversized by 0.9%. The better informed will correct me, but my understanding is you want to be +-3%, so you're well within that range. When your speedo reads 60 mph you'll be travelling around 60.54, so no bigger there.

One thing I don't know is about rim width. My understanding is the standard DJ 19" rim is 7" wide (correct?). I believe I've read here that the max rim width for the Journey is 8.5" (correct?). Don't know how wide your rims are and if this has an impact on usability. I imagine there's an interplay/calculation between rim width and rim offset (similar to tire calculations), but I'm new to this and don't know for sure, those more knowledgeable will be along any moment.

Hope this helps,

M.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this thread, the Wrangler wheels may not fit if you have bigger brakes (late 2012-2014). The offset is different. My 19" Journey wheels have an offset of +40 and the Wrangler wheels are +45. You may have to use spacers to bring the wheel out more from the hub. I was bummed as I really like the looks of the Wrangler wheels and they are cheap to find on Craigslist since so many Jeep owners like to upgrade to bigger wheels.

Edited by FROGBOX

I found a used 18" Wrangler wheel at work the other day I think I stop being lazy and actually try to fit it.

I did try installing one, but it still had the huge jeep tire on it, so it didn't clear the strut. I could not get the wheel to sit flat against the hub to tell if the spokes would clear the caliper. However, I did try to take some measurements while I had both wheels off in front of me. Based on my measurements, the spokes would be VERY CLOSE to rubbing the caliper. Too close to tell either way. I did not have precise measuring tools, so it is still possible they may fit. I would like to encourage you to try your wheel just in case it does fit. I bought a set hoping they would fit, so I am now stuck with some Jeep Wrangler wheels. If you can post your experience, I would be grateful. I may have to try to resell the wheels I bought :(.

Edited by FROGBOX

Hi Frogbox,

I did manage to snag the wheel from work and will give it a go tomorrow. It does not have a tire on it.

Please stand by as they used to say on the "Outer Limits".

Just by eyeballing the wheel, it is going to be close. They really should have put those big brakes on the Journey and the Grand Caravan from the get-go.

Judging by the number of KJ wheels for sale on Kijjiji, in the Calgary area, you may have your work cut out for you if it does not fit.

Silly question, were you not on "Dragon's Den"?

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I did buy a set, but would rather not pay to peel off the skins on a wheel just to find out it doesn't fit. It would make trying to resell them more difficult. I only paid $250 for the set, so not too worried. Appreciate your help.

And yes, FROGBOX was on Dragons' Den a few years ago. Not myself personally, but the company. We did very well getting 2 Dragons to invest.

Hi FrogBox,

I tried the 18" JK wheels on the front of the R/T and they don't quite clear the brake callipers but it is close. I checked around and there seems to be and number of inexpensive wheel spacers available in 6.35mm, 8mm, and 12.7mm thicknesses for $40-50 for a set of four. From what I learned, the rule of thumb is that you must be able to make at least 7 turns of the lug nuts when tightening for the wheel to be sufficiently secure. My experience tells me that the wheels will become "lug centric" rather than "hub centric" and will require gradual torqueing of the lug nuts for there to be no wheel vibration issues.

I use 0.5in spacers on the front of my '74 Porsche 911 because I am running later model wheels of 6" front and 7" rear and prefer the turn in feel of have the same sized all around. Blah, Blah, Blah. :drop: Dull yet uninteresting.

Anyway, I am going to pick up a couple of thicknesses of spacers and give it a go. It has become a quest!. Hey anyone can by 18" wheels from TireRack. :)

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks very much for taking the time to check that for me Mike. Now I have to decide if i want to run spacers, or sell these wheels and look for a different set with more negative offset. If I go with spacers, I will try to find hub centric spacers. I don't like the thought of running wheel centric as it can cause too many driveability problems if its not perfectly centred and can put additional stress on the wheel studs.

If I go with a flat spacer, do you think 3mm will give enough clearance? I can get a set for $30 and hopefully that will still leave enough of the hub poking through the spacer to centre the wheel? If not, then I will have to spend extra $$$ and get some hub centric spacers.

I gave up on the spacer idea. Don't like the thought of using the bolt on type spacers as they have been outlawed in many states. And the thinner ones that bolt through are not hubcentric, so the wheel may not be perfectly centred, causing possible high speed vibration issues.

The Journey is my wifes daily and nothing is more important than safety. I found a set of 19" OEM Journey wheels on Kijiji for $200 and will be putting some dedicated winter tires and swapping every fall/spring. I really liked the look of the 18" wrangler wheels, but am not too disappointed with the 19's I found either. At least I don't have to worry about clearance issues with them.

mclS8daBD9vcVdBwuqH6d3A.jpg

Thanks for trying out the wrangler wheels for me. It is much appreciated. It saved me from having to dismount a tire to test it myself. Now I can sell the set of Wrangler wheels as a complete set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frogbox,

I did find a set steel of black 18" wheels that permitted me to reuse my 18" Michelin X-Ice tires. They are hubcentric with a 45mm offset but have enough back spacing for the wheel to clear the larger later model brake calipers. His price ($105/wheel) was less than we could buy them for from the same supplier, so he must purchase in huge volumes. The store is Wheel Pros in Calgary and owned by a guy who calls himself "Jimmy the Wheel" . :-) Before he hands the wheels over, he puts every wheel on this balancer to check for balance and straightness. His knave even loaded them into the back of the car for me. I got them on just in time for yet more snow in Calgary.

It was interesting driving the car on proper winter tires after mucking around in the snow on the Kumhos, which are not a bad 3 season tires. The car turns, stops, and hooks up 100% better.

People, there is no such thing as an all-season tire. Buy yourselves dedicated winter tires, the price is likely less than your insurance deductible. With proper inflation and alignment, you can likely get 3 or 4 winters out of them.

Cheers,

Mike

• Official Dodge Support

Hi Frogbox,

I did find a set steel of black 18" wheels that permitted me to reuse my 18" Michelin X-Ice tires. They are hubcentric with a 45mm offset but have enough back spacing for the wheel to clear the larger later model brake calipers. His price ($105/wheel) was less than we could buy them for from the same supplier, so he must purchase in huge volumes. The store is Wheel Pros in Calgary and owned by a guy who calls himself "Jimmy the Wheel" . :-) Before he hands the wheels over, he puts every wheel on this balancer to check for balance and straightness. His knave even loaded them into the back of the car for me. I got them on just in time for yet more snow in Calgary.

It was interesting driving the car on proper winter tires after mucking around in the snow on the Kumhos, which are not a bad 3 season tires. The car turns, stops, and hooks up 100% better.

People, there is no such thing as an all-season tire. Buy yourselves dedicated winter tires, the price is likely less than your insurance deductible. With proper inflation and alignment, you can likely get 3 or 4 winters out of them.

Cheers,

Mike

Although I don't use winter tires myself, I always recommend investing in them. Highly recommended, great point here too! Your winter tires are likely around the same as your deductible so it just makes sense when you look at it that way.

• 1 year later...