2013 Spring Wash and Shine

13DODGE

Twas a lovely day here in Toronto, Ontario. Spent the day cleaning the good Journey.
Just regular car soap, but used the Armor All Extreme Tire Shine spray and Triple Action Wheel Cleaner.
Was thinking of waxing too but was not sure which to use. Any preferences?
I also noticed tiny tiny surface rust spots all over, isn't that very rare for a 5 month old car?

8718139245_846bd74b44_b.jpg

Those "rust spots" could be tree sap or bugs. You might consider getting a clay bar detailing kit or bring it to a detailer to get it done. I had mine done a few days after I took delivery and you wouldn't believe the dirt in the paint job picked up in transit. I also had the paint treated. At a minimum I would use a good polish before waxing. If you are concerned, take it back to the dealer and have them check it.

I would suggest before thinking about a clay bar kit, take it back to the dealer and have the "rust" looked at. Could be just rail dust that has adhered to the vehicle. Sounds like the dealer didn't do a very good pre delivery prep job.

Rolly, also makes a good suggestion about getting a clay bar kit. I'm a bit of fanatic about keeping my vehicles looking good. When I sold my 11 year old Grand Caravan, it still looked like it had just came off the showroom floor.

Since you live in Canada, I would suggest looking at eshine.ca, as they have excellent products for keeping you vehicle looking good.

By the way, what colour is your Journey. I really like it.

Interesting, I will be taking it to the dealer in a few weeks for an oil change and nag them about it along with the transmission re-flash and a few squeaks . If that doesn't work I'll try the clay bar kit, polish and then wax.
It's very weird indeed, our 99 Caravan never had this kind of surface rust dots during the entire duration of ownership.
Thanks doubleO7, it's called WinterChill Pearl - a new colour for 2013 :)

Same here.

There's a bunch of "dust spot rust" on both my DJ, and grand caravan. Interesting enough, they are both same color.

I'll be polishing and waxing the DJ soon.

Seems like the paint job on both isn't the greatest.

Same here.

There's a bunch of "dust spot rust" on both my DJ, and grand caravan. Interesting enough, they are both same color.

I'll be polishing and waxing the DJ soon.

Seems like the paint job on both isn't the greatest.

The small rust spots dont have anything to do with the paint. What happens is when the car is on the train from the factory, little metal "chips" float around the rail car from the wheels and brakes of the train wearing down. Its kind of like brake dust on your wheels. What happens is those metal shavings are hot and when they land on the paint, they stick. The rust you see is those metal shavings rusting from the elements. A clay bar pulls those chips out of the paint. You then wax and buff the car to protect it.

Edited by dj cowboy

Rail dust is very, very common on all makes and model...seen it on everything from Chevy Silverados to Dodge K-Car (yeah, I'm that old) to Ford Pinto's (even older than you think!). The dealer's body shop will buff them out, apply a new coat of wax and you'll be good as new with no future problems.

nice ride...i like the new style of the rims for the SXT versions, and the colour is pretty nice too!

Looks like your ride was purchase at Pickering Chrysler, you in the Durham region?

Thank you! Yes it was indeed purchased at Pickering Chrysler, and I am! Impressed you picked up the dealer badge on the plate :)

Rail dust is very, very common on all makes and model...seen it on everything from Chevy Silverados to Dodge K-Car (yeah, I'm that old) to Ford Pinto's (even older than you think!). The dealer's body shop will buff them out, apply a new coat of wax and you'll be good as new with no future problems.

Haha (K-Car not that bad, Pinto - maybe), I am now at ease. Planning my first service trip this coming week. I sure will be giving them plenty to keep them busy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Yes it was indeed purchased at Pickering Chrysler, and I am! Impressed you picked up the dealer badge on the plate :)

Haha (K-Car not that bad, Pinto - maybe), I am now at ease. Planning my first service trip this coming week. I sure will be giving them plenty to keep them busy.

I have a keen eye and I've been to that dealership, service-wise, way too many times for my liking, so I've seen the dealer badge and can recognize it right away!

I own a 2011 Journey Crew in white with Thule roof racks and am in the Pickering area. See you on the Durham roads!