Brake shudder on new Journey

I just got my new Journey (2013 SE) on Thursday. Only has about 100 miles, but I already feel a bit of shudder like warped rotors when I initially step on the brakes. I haven't had this with other new cars. Anyone else experienced it?

• 3 months later...

I had a bad shrudder on my 2011 Mainstreet. :cry: At 25000 I replaced everything , rotors are now CENTRIC and pads are now POSI-QUIET ceramic. No more shrudder and these brakes are awesome. I have 20" chrome wheeels with almost NO dust . And the braking is nice and smooth. :)

I had a bad shrudder on my 2011 Mainstreet. :cry: At 25000 I replaced everything , rotors are now CENTRIC and pads are now POSI-QUIET ceramic. No more shrudder and these brakes are awesome. I have 20" chrome wheeels with almost NO dust . And the braking is nice and smooth. :)

I was checking out the same brakes at Autoanything.....the Centrics seemed to have some pretty good reviews from its users and they are reasonably priced! :)

I love these CENTRICS pads , I normally use HAWK pads on my other cars but HAWK doesn't have a fit for the Journey. These pads with NON SLOTED and NOT DRILLED solid rotors gives the best feel I have ever had .....and I am running 20" tires/wheels.

We got our '13 SXT in June and the only time I have had a brake problem was after it sat for a week at the beach and it rained at least once a day and was covered with sea spray. The brakes were chattery for the first couple of hundred miles or so. While it was sitting mid week i noticed a good glaze of rust coating the rotors.

I have seen cases where brake rotors warp while sitting on the lot. We just did front rotors today on a new Durango that was delivered this past Friday - came back for a brake vibration. Schedule an appointment with your selling dealer to have this resolved. The braking should be smooth.

. While it was sitting mid week i noticed a good glaze of rust coating the rotors.

That condition is known as "trace corrosion" and it is very common. After I wash my 2000 300M and the car sits overnight, the rotors have an orange tinge to them the next morning and the first couple of brake applications produce a scraping sound until it is swept off. Trace corrosion itself won't cause so much as a chatter as it will a scraping sound. The car I took off the road - a 1999 300M - sat for two months at my shop before i used it again last week while my new Journey was in the bodyshop (see my thread "Hit Last Weekend). The brakes had a distinctive rotating rumble sound even without the brakes applied due to rust on the rotors which built up while it sat. Once I ran the car for a couple of days, it went away. I was surprised at how rusty they became just sitting in that relatively short time. We did have a lot of rain and very high humidity here during that period of non-use which would be similar to the week yours sat in that salty environment.

Depends on the amount of miles and type of driving done in those three days. I had a 1982 Volvo 240 that would coat the front wheels with a light film of brake dust with less than 20 miles driven. I used to have a 15.5 mile commute to work with this car and could wipe the dust off them after each trip. This is with OEM pads and rotors. My 300M hardly dusts the wheels at all. And our 2013 Journey does not produce excessive brake dust, either. The wheels were still very shiny after a road trip to Hershey, PA - nearly 300 miles from our house. Just a quick wipe was all that was needed to make them perfect again.

I bought a Town and Country 6 months ago with the same problem. They turned the front rotors the day after we bought it and its been perfect since then. Come to find out the van sat on the lot for about 6 months before we bought it and from what I have heard the rotors will warp if not in use for long periods of time. Plus the back lot where they keep vehicles that aren't on the main lot was basically dirt with a little gravel mixed in. I remember the pictures of our van on the dealers website and it was parked on dirt and there was dirt in the floorboard on my test drive.