Brake Wear?

We got the truck back, breaks still squealing.

The service man told me they were still squealing because it sat overnight and some rust buildup is to be expected. I explained to him that the problem gets worse with using the breaks, not better. This means it's not a problem with them being dirty.

He suggested it could be the calipers and recommended bringing it back in. Why couldn't they have checked all aspects of the breaks when it was there for six days!!???

It's going back in on Friday....so annoying!!!

I don't think it was brake dust causing the noise, it's not like we have drums that it will collect in, like a bus, yet when I brake you'd think I do.

I just had the pads and rotors replaced. At 15,000 they were squealing so bad it was embarrassing!!!

The work-order said the reason for replacement was "overheated/rust". Not quite sure how they were overheated.

Brand new brakes, no squeal, great stopping power!

Sucks that they've created vibration in the front end. Back the vehicle goes!

I have 27,000 kms (16,000 miles) on my SXT. I have never asked for my brakes to be checked before and I have done quite a bit of towing a utility trailer with around 700 pound loads. From what I read above, I should get my brakes checked for sure. I'll be also checking into ceramic replacement pads.

What other things should a guy get checked out in a first year inspection that maybe a dealer doesn't tell you much about? Anyone got some items that should be checked in a first year inspection?

At 20K miles they started to squeak. At 21K they started to grind. I called the dealer who put the parts on order. At 22.5K miles they failed. It's now parked in the garage not able to be driven. The parts have been on back order since the beginning of the month. I've had great luck with other Dodge vehicles- Can I take this in for a refund? :rant:

I just got an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer. They told me that I have about 3,000 miles before the pads are worn and want me back before then to replace the pads before they damage the rotors. My Journel has 17,800 miles on it and this seems to be a bit early for brake wear, especially considering my last 2 vehicles went over 45K before getting close to needing new pads.

The dealer said that I'm probably one of the 1st local journey owners to have this high mileage, so they don't know if this is premature or not. So, How long are pads lasting for everybody else?

I just got an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer. They told me that I have about 3,000 miles before the pads are worn and want me back before then to replace the pads before they damage the rotors. My Journel has 17,800 miles on it and this seems to be a bit early for brake wear, especially considering my last 2 vehicles went over 45K before getting close to needing new pads.

The dealer said that I'm probably one of the 1st local journey owners to have this high mileage, so they don't know if this is premature or not. So, How long are pads lasting for everybody else?

I bought my Dodge Journey R/T in December 2008. Since then, I have changed the brake discs and pads three times. It seems the service dealer has no clue on what the real problem is. When travelling over 80km/h in a sloppy place and apply brakes, there is loud shudder in the front wheels. Wnyone who can help?? I don't seem to be enjoying my journey as I should.

That sounds like the noise I get when I apply the brakes on ice or snow. It is supposed to be normal in those cases. I wonder if it might be related in some way.

The noise you're talking about is probably the traction control or ABS kicking in, and would be normal.

The shudder sabelo880 mentioned in the front end of the vehicle when pressing the brakes, sounds to me like a rotor issue. But I'm not an expert, just speaking from my experience with brake shuddering.

Yes 20k warranty on the original pad and rotors.

Keep in mind they will say... "No brake issues." every time until you hit 20001 kms then they will say "Your brakes are dangerously worn out."

My rotors are totally warped. I only have 9000kms on it. Is this warranty you speak of in the documentation for the Journey? (I don't have the vehicle at work with me at the moment so I can't check).

Thanks.

My rotors are totally warped. I only have 9000kms on it. Is this warranty you speak of in the documentation for the Journey? (I don't have the vehicle at work with me at the moment so I can't check).

Thanks.

If you're in Canada, it's a country wide warranty on all new Chrysler vehicles. Brakes are warrantied up to 20,000 kms.

The only issue I ever had with warranty repair work was on my old dodge, they never filed the paperwork for my warranty with Chrysler Canada, so I was forced into dealing with the dealership that sold me the vehicle as no other dealership could put the work through under warranty.

The information would be in the package you were given when you took possension of your vehicle, as well as on their website.

If you're in Canada, it's a country wide warranty on all new Chrysler vehicles. Brakes are warrantied up to 20,000 kms.

The only issue I ever had with warranty repair work was on my old dodge, they never filed the paperwork for my warranty with Chrysler Canada, so I was forced into dealing with the dealership that sold me the vehicle as no other dealership could put the work through under warranty.

The information would be in the package you were given when you took possension of your vehicle, as well as on their website.

Thanks. Yes, I'm in Canada. Reason I ask is because the dealer might give me the run-around, so I might need to show them something.

Thanks. Yes, I'm in Canada. Reason I ask is because the dealer might give me the run-around, so I might need to show them something.

If your dealer gives you the run-around with brake warranty, I would suggest telling them you'll just deal with someone else. Money out of their pocket and into someone else's essentially.

If your dealer gives you the run-around with brake warranty, I would suggest telling them you'll just deal with someone else. Money out of their pocket and into someone else's essentially.

I read the owners manual and it says:

"The following items are exceptions; they are only

covered (if defective) for 1 year or 20,000 kilometres, whichever occurs

first:

• light bulbs and fuses

• wiper blades

• clutch discs

• brakes (rotors, pads, linings and drums)

• windshield and rear window

• wheel alignment and wheel balancing"

The keyword is defective. Does warp rotors fall under this category? Or would it be considered "normal wear and tear"?

Thanks.

Anytime I've had a warped rotor (three times with this most recent visit), all under 20,000kms, they've been replaced under warranty.

I also had a fog light go on me; they replaced the bulb under warranty, as well as the brake pads(twice), and a windshield wiper blade.

These warrantied issues occured between two vehicles; both Dodge.

Anytime I've had a warped rotor (three times with this most recent visit), all under 20,000kms, they've been replaced under warranty.

I also had a fog light go on me; they replaced the bulb under warranty, as well as the brake pads(twice), and a windshield wiper blade.

These warrantied issues occured between two vehicles; both Dodge.

Thanks. I'll give it a go and let you know.

So poetic.. ha ha..

We've had our 'truck' about a month now and it's got less than 700 miles on it. I'm surprised at the amount of brake dust I'm cleaning off the wheels -they need a clean after just about every 'journey!'.

Our Neon seemed to stay cleaner for longer, but I'm very impressed with the stopping power on the Journey.

I always expect to buy new brakes more often on an auto than a manual as your holding on them more.

Cheers!

Did my own brake job after 14000 miles.... Cost of breaks 45 bucks plus 20 to turn the disk. You will find it easy to change them as they are only 2 screws or bolts that you need to take out to change the pad, there are two larger bolts to take off when you remove the disk, be sure you don't rip off the caliper and use a vice to put pressure on the caliper before you remove it to take the pads off. SO it looks as if I save 230 bucks accoring to some on here. I did buy mettalic and got a lifetime warranty on them at a place called o'rillyies where I live but I'm sure parts plus, pep boys or any of you auto parts store has them. Takes about 45 min to do it yourself. Maybe next time I will write a how to with pics to help everyone out but trust me its easy. Oh year I was told the rotors (disk) were about 65 bucks each. I'm sure the dealer will double that price but if you ever take them off the amount that can be 'shaved' off is imprinted on the inside of the rotor and I think it was 23.6 or something but they were able to be turned.

I took the truck to tire plus (firestone) and they told me the back brakes were good at 80% pad left...I think the front take more abuse than the back so this did not shock me at all. A quick way to check the rotors is to take youe key or a hanger (hate to say it) to check for groves. I would tell most of you to buy the pads and go to someone who will do it for you to save some money, keep the pad so the next time you can turn them in for your lifetime warranty so the work can be done again. It use to be that they would ask you for the old ones when you first buy the new ones but they told me no, kinda like a core charge like when you get a battery or a starter so that they can reuse the part to make a new one. So I kept my old pad to turn back in so I am not slowed down for the next brake repair.

Could you tell me who quoted you the rotor price of $ 65 ?

Thanks

Lol...I have to laugh because I used to live in Buffalo NY, which as we know is just a hop, skip and jump across the Peace or Rainbow Bridge. Now I live in GA, with this auto store

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/FindAStore.do

They are not in NYS at all, however Pep boys is....I did thier search and came up short on the rotors but pad are

Front Prostop Brake Pads

PLATFORM SPECIFIC FRICTION FORMULATION w/SINGLE LAYER SHIM 1 per Vehicle

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

PD1273 09 $29.99

Normally Stocked

Front Prostop Platinum Pads

ADVANCED VEHICLE SPECIFIC FRICTION FORMULATION PRODUCES OE PERFORMANCE - MULTI LAYERED SHIM 1 per Vehicle

PGD1273 09 $46.99

CALL FOR AVAILABILITY

Front Prostop Ceramic Pads

CERAMIC ENHANCED FRICTION FORMULATION TO REDUCE NOISE AND DUST - STAINLESS STEEL MULTI-LAYERED SHIM 1 per Vehicle

PR1273C 09 $64.99

Normally Stocked

So needless to say I should have bought the ceramics ...less brake dust. I am sure if you called you would get a better price and te price of the rotors from them.

and by the way, I sure do miss the Sundowner! Wish the passport law didn't go into effect.

Yes the SunDowner will feel the passport pain as will Niagara Falls-no industry no tourism not good

I dont think the rotors are available in the aftermarket yet & thats what I need

Enjoy Georgia

My Journey SE Plus has around 20,000 km (12,500 miles) and I have no braking issues. When I had My Dodge Calibur, I replaced the brakes 4 times in one year. The dealership told me that it was to do with poor manufacturing of the rotors.

Raybestos makes ceramic brake pads for the Journey. I had to get new front pads in February. Ceramics are definitely the way to go. I get almost no brake dust. My rear wheels still get brake dust because they have not been changed yet. I used to clean the brake dust of off the front wheels almost daily. Now, even if I wash the car once a week, there is virtually no brake dust to clean on the fronts. When it's time for rear pads, I will change those to ceramics as well. The Raybestos part number for ceramic front pads is PGD1273C and the rears pads are PGD1326C. autopartsgiant.com for one, sells them. Your local mechanic should be able to get them for you as well. In February, my local Dodge dealer said ceramics were not available, but they were available from Raybestos where I had my local mechanic get them and replace them for me.