Potential new DJ R/T owner, but a few questions remain...

PaShyn

After quite a bit of research and comparison shopping, my wife and I finally decided on the Journey R/T in Pearl White with AWD. We will put about 15k a year on it with freeway driving accounting for about 70%. It will also serve as a family hauler taking our two boys to their various sports events. (Basketball, baseball, and soccer.)

The only things we are still wary of are:

1. We really don't care for the look of black wheels, which is how they look on the Dodge website. But no dealers in my area have one on their lot, so I have not been able to see just how dark those "Satin Carbon" wheels really are.

2. It seems quite a few people have complaints about the various mechanical systems, most notably the transmission and super-quick brake wear. I can live with hesitant down-shifts, but how does the tranny with AWD stack-up in over-all durability?

As for the brakes, does anyone know if switching to high-end after-market ceramic pads fixes that problem?

Hopefully some of the good DJ folks on here can help take away these last "obstacles" standing between us and the super-cool R/T!

Thanks!

Edited by PaShyn

Why do you need AWD?

An RT with FWD would be a real nice Journey especially a 13 only wish I could get one here

The calipers on the front look much bigger so maybe Chrysler has fixed what was a big design error on previous models

That being said they have come a long way since the 09's in every dept

I'd say for the most part the folks here are happy with their Journey. I drove everything back in 2011 when I bought mine, but the JC was head and shoulders above the rest. The only competitor was the Forester, but the interior was cheap as hell and they wanted an extra 2500 USD for it. Non-negotiable BTW. I have the smaller brakes, and I have not had any problems at all. I'm sure the larger brakes are better. Ceramic pads will reduce your brake dust. I do get that with my stock pads. The R/T 8.4 is money. Love mine except for a few quirks. Get the extended warranty IMHO. I think there are just too many things that can go wrong over time with all of these new technology filled vehicles from any manufacturer. The transmission is programmed for MPG, at least on the 2011. If I need power, it downshifts solidly after a short pause. If I'm in a situation like a pass on a two lane road, I just use the autostick and downshift manually. Works great. The Journey has plenty of power but it isn't a Hemi powered Charger. If the color of the wheel is your only beef with the JC, I'd say you're in a good place. Best of Luck with whatever you decide.

Peace.

My '13 AWD R/T, thus far, has been a pleasure to own. I'm guessing they got the brakes figured out; mine has a much larger caliper on the front than that of the rear and, IMHO, they are a tad bit too good. If I drive my truck for a while and then go to the Journey, the first couple of times I use the brakes, I tend to stand it on its nose...they will stop the car PDQ! Haven't had any issues with the transmission; it shifts fine, both up and down and the engine has a fair amount of braking for a six cylinder gasser. Overall, I'm suitably impressed and would buy again. I have some pet peeves with several design features, but, it isn't an engineering problem or mechanical isssue; just a couple of things I'd have done differently (like grab handles on the A-pillars instead of the roof over the door; where they are now doesn't really aid in entering or exiting the vehicle). Only thing "busted" at this point is that the compass doesn't display in the EVIC or the top "info bar" of the 8.4N radio, but, there is a TSB for that now. If you want the DRLs to work (in the US), a bunch of us and Chris B. (Dodge Cares) have pretty much ironed out the process; there is a thread on this forum if you are interested.

As for the wheels? It must be your screen...my wheels aren't black; in fact, they aren't even dark colored despite being "painted" aluminum alloy wheels. They are a silver color, lighter colored than the Storm Gray of the car itself. Hard to describe the color, but, they aren't a bright, "in your face" aluminum, more a subdued silver. The only model that I know of that actually comes with black wheels is the BlackTop Special Edition SXT.

Thanks Redtomatoman and Webslave, I was not aware that they had changed the front brake caliber size, and it's also good to know that you're both happy with your vehicle. We were very impressed with the R/T but as funny as this m sound, the price almost seemed too good! :banana piano: I would still appreciate any other insights/experiences anyone else might be able to offer.

BUt next comes the easy part... negotiating the final deal. :chairshot:

Thanks all

Edited by PaShyn

I think you are looking at the R/T RALLY which has the DARK SATIN CARBON rims. The regular R/T has the same rims but they are a bright silver color. We just took delivery of a 2013 R/T DJ in the PEARL WHITE and LOVE IT !!! the color is worth the extra and really looks great in the day time.

At least here in Cali, there is no version designated as "Rally."

If you go to the Dodge site and choose the "Campare all Models" option, there is no mention of a Rally R/T. This is what is listed:

• Includes everything on Crew, plus these differences:
  • High performance suspension
  • Unique 19-inch Satin Carbon aluminum wheels
  • Black dimpled leather-trimmed seats with red stitching and perforated seat inserts
  • Heated front seats
  • Unique dimpled heated steering wheel
  • Body-color grille and door handles
  • Six premium speakers with 368-watt amplifier
  • No roof side rails

The "Build & Price" option also has no mention of a Rally option or wheel style options

hmm...i know here in canada there is a R/T RALLYE that comes with the darker rims.... I have seen them at the dealship and they are a dark grey, not really that dark, but def darker then the silver ones... I went to the DODGE.CA and DODGE.COM sites and neither have mention of an R/T with Carbon satin rims, must be specific to your area, interesting :)

Here's a picture, from the Dodge.com site of the Satin Carbon wheels as on my '13 R/T:

3-7-20139-23-49AM_zps31839554.jpg

They (the ones on my R/T) look closer in brightness/color to the ones in the background on the left edge (a little more gray in them). They are by no means bright, but, far from dark or black.

I was actually trying to get them to order the darker ones and do some sort of cash/trade but they wouldnt :(... I love them and thinking back i prob should have just ponied up the extra and went with the RALLYE to get those rims... I think they would have looked kick ass with the pearl while. I have never seen any car on the road with them just the dealer stock so it would have def been something that would have stood out... Im also pricing out a painted front grille for mine also :)...

Wow, they don't look very dark at all. I'd mayybe even just call them medium-light grey. I hate the ridiculous names that marketing departments come up with:

"Grey is too boring and obvious, let's call them something that says nothing about what they actually are, this way the consumer can't hold us to any sort of standards, hmmmm I know! how about Satin Carbon Aluminum! Or better still, how about low-luster metallurgic composite 90Ëš inverted cylindrical orbs! Perfect!!!!"

But seriously, I do think they'll look really good with pearl white. Thanks so much for the pics. For some reason they look almost black when I go to the Dodge site. Even my local dealers were of zero help... though they seem really to know their under-coatings! :-P

Thanks again.

If you want to change the color of your wheels, your trim, add graphics, etc without using paint; check out what these guys have done with PlastiDip. I'm thinking about maybe doing my wheels with a gray that would match the Storm Gray of the car. Evidently, it holds up well (I saw some wheels on YouTube that were over a year old) and peels right off if you want to change the color or don't like that graphic you did last year...

www.dipyourcar.com

And I thought PlastiDip was only good for adding plastic grips to screw drivers and pliers...that's what I've used it for. Never occurred to me to paint a whole car or parts thereof with the stuff...

Do you know if the plastidip would stick to the fake chrome-clad wheels? I hate these wheels (I would've taken the satin carbon wheels anyday).

I watched several of the YouTube presentations (I admit it, I was fascinated by what these guys were doing with the stuff - I've used it for years on screw drivers and hammers, but, never considered it for "painting" anything) and it appears to stick to virtually everything...chrome, glass, plastic, all metals, primered and not primered; seems to adhere to any surface that doesn't have an oilly surface. I would imagine if you cleaned the surface with a fast evaporating solvent (MEK for instance) to remove any traces of road film or wax, that it would adhere just fine. In my usage around my workshop, I've never had any problem getting it to stick to any tool...chromed wrenches, wooden screw drivers and hammers and it holds up quite well, even under heavy use.