Any issues with AWD tire upgrade?

ghostone

Hi everyone, my Kumho tires 225/55/19 are ready for replacement at 62,000 k/m 38,000 miles one has a belt problem and is oscillating the steering wheel and the wear bars are close to the surface.

My question is has anyone who has upgraded to 235/55/19 tires had any issues with the AWD after installation of the new size?

I am planning on installing Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires (4).

Thanks for any information you have on this question.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White

• Official Dodge Support

There was a service bulletin on this. Just make sure to replace all 4 and that the replacements are all the same size. See a TSB below on the size you are asking about.

NUMBER: 22-002-11 REV.A
GROUP: Tires and wheels
DATE: July 07, 2011

SUBJECT:
Alternative 19 Inch Tires
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin specifies alternative 19” tires that should be used if the Khumo Solus KH16
P225/55R19 99T All Season (U.S. and Canada Markets Only) is not available.
MODELS:
**2009 -2011** (JC) Journey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles sold in U.S. and Canada (sales code YAA
and YAC) markets only.

DISCUSSION:
The following 19” tires can be used as aftermarket replacement tires for the **2009 to
2011** model year Dodge Journey in the event that the Khumo Solus KH16 P225/55R19
99T All Season (U.S. and Canada Markets Only) are not available.
Approved Alternative Tires:
Qty. Part No. Description
4 (AR) NPN **Hankook Optimo P235/55R19 101H, DOT
5MH4 PDFH H725 Standard Touring All
Season (2009-2010 Vehicles Only)**
4 (AR) NPN **Michelin Pilot P235/55R19 101H, DOT
HN8F A31X HXMXM4 Grand Touring All
Season (2009-2011 Vehicles Only)**
NOTE: It is recommended to use these tires only as sets of four.
POLICY:
Information Only.

Chris, can we assume that the TSB also applies to the 2012 and 2013 model years, or was there a modification made to the AWD system to make it a bit more "forgiving" in the range of tires that one may choose as replacements; I realize that a change of all four should be made to ensure they are roughly the same size, but, a selection of two brands is a bit "limiting"...

Thank you for the information Chris, I will pass on the Hankook tires, the Michelin Pilot is a fine tire but very expensive here in Canada, so will go for the Michelin Latitude Tour HP in the 235/55/19 size and replace all four tires, thank you for your help and the tire size confirmation.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White

• Official Dodge Support
Thank you for the information Chris, I will pass on the Hankook tires, the Michelin Pilot is a fine tire but very expensive here in Canada, so will go for the Michelin Latitude Tour HP in the 235/55/19 size and replace all four tires, thank you for your help and the tire size confirmation.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White

I understand about the brands but listed the TSB just to inform about the size you asked about.

• Official Dodge Support
Chris, can we assume that the TSB also applies to the 2012 and 2013 model years, or was there a modification made to the AWD system to make it a bit more "forgiving" in the range of tires that one may choose as replacements; I realize that a change of all four should be made to ensure they are roughly the same size, but, a selection of two brands is a bit "limiting"...

As stated above I listed the TSB just for the size information. While I am not aware of any changes to the AWD system on the 12-13 model years, I could not find any information for those years as it pertains to tire sizes.

Thanks Chris. I am aware that there were a fair number of changes to the Journey from the '09-'10 to the '11-'13 model lines, and not all of them cosmetic (brakes for one), and didn't know whether the "recommendations" for the relatively few tires in that size had changed for the newer models based on a possible revision to the AWD system.

Thanks again Chris for the information, I ordered the "Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/55/19" today from Costco they will be in next week, Michelin is also giving a $70 rebate (0n four tires purchased) for April 1st-May 26th I say this incase anyone is also needing new tires and this is one option for you to consider.

Thanks again Chris for the information, I ordered the "Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/55/19" today from Costco they will be in next week, Michelin is also giving a $70 rebate (0n four tires purchased) for April 1st-May 26th I say this incase anyone is also needing new tires and this is one option for you to consider.

I am curious Costco will only replace tires of equal size, what did they say (if anything) when you went from 225/55/19" to 235/55/19"?

Terry

Hi Windancer, Costco sales rep did ask me about the size upgrade and I explained it is about none availability in my area of the 225/55/19 tires size at least at the stores I had asked for them (Costco does not list that size either).

I also directed them to this website if they needed confirmation on the upgrade size by a Chrysler representative at DodgeCares (Chris) who kindly posted the service advisory for the alternative tire size if needed.

I have yet to have them installed as they are on order, if there is a problem at that time I have the information on a USB drive I can plug in to show them the information I have on the subject, the tires should be in this week.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White

PS: Tires were installed today 235/55/19 Michelin Latitude HP on the 8th Mar-2013, no problems, ride and handling are great again.

Edited by ghostone

• 8 months later...

I have a 2009 Journey RT and just had to replace the Kuhmo's. The Kuhmo's lasted just over 7,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!! Replaced with Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred 235/55X19. No problem and so far great on ice and snow - I live in Anchorage.

;

I notice that most folks replace their 225/55/19s with 235/55/19s. I am actually considering 235/50/19 tires when the time comes. Is there a reason that most go with 235/55/19? Just wondering.

I am one of those people that did replace the OEM Kumho tires with the slightly larger Michelin tires. This is my reasoning:

I got 40,000 kms. (24,000 miles) out of my original Kumhos, slightly disappointing but typical of OEM tires. Personally I would have liked to get more. Although they have been through 3 winters here and I never really had any complaints.

Around here there was a much larger choice of tires in the 235/55/19 size as opposed to the 225/55/19 size. About a month and 1/2 ago I went to my local Costco and had them order 4 235/55/19 Michelin Latitide HP tires for my car. Now as you probably know Costco only replaces tires in the same size as what is listed on the door so I printed off the TSB that DodgeCaCares provided here. They had no problem ordering the tires and putting them on the car. So far I have had no problems, rides very nice, lots of traction etc, although several forum members have had some problems with Costco tires, so I really don't want to diminish that fact and the trouble they encountered.

As I mentioned so far I have had no problems and over the weekend we have had several inches of snow, the Michelins seem to have much more traction and while a more narrower tire would probably be better in the snow, and snow tires would be better but a huge extra expense and considering I have 2 cars not a whole lot of extra room in my garage

I have no complaints so far, they seem to be better than my Kumho's but my Kumho's were nearing the end of their life. They advised me that the Kumho's would probably last me next summer, but they would be lacking over winter. I have been out on gravel roads and and on unmantained roads walking my dog and had no problems so far. I will definately post if there is a problem.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 1 month later...

My dealer threw on some 18 in blizzack winter tires with wheels and new tpms sensors. Cost more but so far no sliding at all even with speeds up to 80km/ hr! Still got the 19 khumos and chrome clad wheels sitting in my basement. They will look slick in summer. The dealer covered 600$ of the 1200 wheels replacement cost which was nice.