Upgrade to Uconnect 8.4 or aftermarket Navigation system?

• 5 weeks later...

How is your fitment? No matter what I do I can't seem to adjust the bezel to avoid having the lower stack buttons get stuck in. I have to leave the screws loose so that I can push up on the bezel and pull down on the fan dial.

Not that it really matters though, I bought the lower stack from the same wreck I got the 8.4 screen from and neither the old one nor the new one do anything but tune radio stations and turn the radio volume up (regardless of which way you twist the dial). And I mean that - no back light, ac controls, traction control, not even the hazard lights!

I'm going to check that all of the wire harnesses are connected properly this weekend...

At least I have the navigation and radio working :)

Did you have the Journey's CANBus and VIN updated to show that the car is now equipped with the 8.4N? If you haven't then the car doesn't know what it has and it won't generate or accept the proper command pulses to allow a lot of the controls operate properly. There is a very tight "handshake" implementation of the modules and options in these new automobiles and unless the base computer systems are "introduced" (handshake) properly they won't interact and may be causing some of your issues. That was the issue with the DRLs...while all the controls and modules were in place (physically present), until the VIN was updated along with the BCM to let the Journey know that the parts were indeed there and that it was OK to use them, they wouldn't work. Of course, a lot depends on whether the '11's CANBus will even recognize the 8.4 unit...it wasn't an option then and the CANBus may not even have the proper software to fully integrate with the 8.4 unit. Not sure whether, if that is the case, the entire vehicle can be "upgraded" from the '11 CANBus software to the '13 CANBus package...you may wind up with what you have; an 8.4N that has the radio and nav but no ability to interact via its soft interface with the other modules in your car.

As for the lower stack, you may have to take a Dremel or the like and relieve (open up) the openings a bit...probably wouldn't take much, but, that should free up things. The setting for the Nav's voice is a little obtuse and you have to be quick to get the volume adjusted since the voice doesn't talk that long! As mentioned though, once adjusted it should stay that way.

Did you have the Journey's CANBus and VIN updated to show that the car is now equipped with the 8.4N? If you haven't then the car doesn't know what it has and it won't generate or accept the proper command pulses to allow a lot of the controls operate properly. There is a very tight "handshake" implementation of the modules and options in these new automobiles and unless the base computer systems are "introduced" (handshake) properly they won't interact and may be causing some of your issues. That was the issue with the DRLs...while all the controls and modules were in place (physically present), until the VIN was updated along with the BCM to let the Journey know that the parts were indeed there and that it was OK to use them, they wouldn't work. Of course, a lot depends on whether the '11's CANBus will even recognize the 8.4 unit...it wasn't an option then and the CANBus may not even have the proper software to fully integrate with the 8.4 unit. Not sure whether, if that is the case, the entire vehicle can be "upgraded" from the '11 CANBus software to the '13 CANBus package...you may wind up with what you have; an 8.4N that has the radio and nav but no ability to interact via its soft interface with the other modules in your car.

As for the lower stack, you may have to take a Dremel or the like and relieve (open up) the openings a bit...probably wouldn't take much, but, that should free up things. The setting for the Nav's voice is a little obtuse and you have to be quick to get the volume adjusted since the voice doesn't talk that long! As mentioned though, once adjusted it should stay that way.

Just to clarify my setup, which should probably now have its own topic, the RB5, 8.4 screen, and lower stack all came from 2011 Journeys.

The radio came from one Journey and the screen and lower stack came from the another Journey.

Aside from adjusting the temperature, everything works from the touch screen. All of the steering wheel controls work as well.

I'm betting that the cable that runs from the screen to the lower stack isn't seated properly at the screen side. I can't think of another reason why the same behavior would follow both units.

Dremel is a good idea that I'll use as a last resort. I need 1/16" to 1/8" of space and I can't seem to make that adjustment.

Just to clarify my setup, which should probably now have its own topic, the RB5, 8.4 screen, and lower stack all came from 2011 Journeys.

The radio came from one Journey and the screen and lower stack came from the another Journey.

Aside from adjusting the temperature, everything works from the touch screen. All of the steering wheel controls work as well.

I'm betting that the cable that runs from the screen to the lower stack isn't seated properly at the screen side. I can't think of another reason why the same behavior would follow both units.

Dremel is a good idea that I'll use as a last resort. I need 1/16" to 1/8" of space and I can't seem to make that adjustment.

OK... Somehow I got the impression that you had gotten a 2013 8.4 unit in which case the software might have been an issue. Since it is a 2011 unit that you got, it should all work and you are correct it may be cable issues that are preventing it from behaving properly. I do a fair amount of "modding" on my other equipment (my ATVs and RVs along with a couple of antique autos) and the Dremel is my friend...great tool for getting that extra bit of clearance or a perfect fit in an opening or a slot where something is going to fit. I think I have 4 of them spread around the farm in various places so that one is always handy.Good luck, and even if you don't get that one thing fixed, it sounds like you made a good swap!

Is it possible to go to 8.4 to 8.4n ??? Would I only need this part number?

05091038AF Receiver , AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3//NAV (RB5)

As long as the 8.4 has SiriusXM, you'll have the hookup for the gps antenna - at least that is what I have read. I had it since I upgraded from the 4.3s.

My US RB5 is part #P05064538AE, just for reference.

OK... Somehow I got the impression that you had gotten a 2013 8.4 unit in which case the software might have been an issue. Since it is a 2011 unit that you got, it should all work and you are correct it may be cable issues that are preventing it from behaving properly. I do a fair amount of "modding" on my other equipment (my ATVs and RVs along with a couple of antique autos) and the Dremel is my friend...great tool for getting that extra bit of clearance or a perfect fit in an opening or a slot where something is going to fit. I think I have 4 of them spread around the farm in various places so that one is always handy.Good luck, and even if you don't get that one thing fixed, it sounds like you made a good swap!

I'm happy to report it was just a loose cable that caused the lower stack to lose function. I was also able to add in a few rubber washers to bump out the bezel, it was pulled in too tight. Now everything fits perfectly!

The last step is to find the right part number for the hvac control module so that I can adjust the temperature. I have asked the parts place where I purchased the lower stack if the module is still available.

.Here's a picture of the new unit :)attachicon.gifIMG_20130310_233104.jpg

Looks pretty stock to me. Great job.

I would also like to ask about how exactly to upgrade from 8.4 with Sat to 8.4N??? The answer above isn't real clear as to if it can be done and how. Is it a dealer job or can it be done in the driveway?

Edited by Rubberdude88

I researched this further and since I'm in New Zealand I need an Australian unit which should have the map for Australia and New Zealand installed... as there is no way to add new map into the Garmin.

The problem is that I don't know what part # exactly that I need.

If there is any Australian around here with 8.4n can you tell me your part number for the Receiver , AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3//NAV

You find out by pressing the Up/Down left side climate button and the Defrost front button, to go into dealer mode and view the HW number.

Thanks for this post! I would love to upgrade to the 8.4 Uconnect! I currently have a 2013 with a 4.3... no bluetooth or anything else that I know of.

Unfortunately, the hands free module is right behind the steering column and the microphone is in rear view mirror. It is also highly doubtful that it is pre-wired. One weekend I'm going to try to find a journey at a self service junkyard and start exploring.

Unfortunately, the hands free module is right behind the steering column and the microphone is in rear view mirror. It is also highly doubtful that it is pre-wired. One weekend I'm going to try to find a journey at a self service junkyard and start exploring.

Thank you... Guess Ill have to wait until I get a new car.... yeaaaaaars from now :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest markt4cali

2011 Journey Mainstreet

OK, I know i'm coming into this thread a bit late, but i'd like to know the part numbers and possibly where I can get the parts to upgrade from the 4.3 to the 8.4n. I currently have the 4.3 with sat radio, but no bluetooth,wifi,nav. from reading this thread it seems that I need the Reciever (rb5), touch screen, and bezel. Is there anything else that during the install anyone has found that they need?

@chavo60 could you let me know the exact links to these so that I can order them from the same place you did? also, if there was something you had to order differently could I get the part #'s you ordered.

• 1 month later...

hi bmanta,

Thanks for the info on the dealer mode. I have 2013 NZ 8.4n and the HW part number in the menu is 05091465AH.

in the vehicle build sheet it shows nav as;

JLBP Garmin Navigation System

RB6P Uconnect 8.4N AM/FM/DVD/SD/NAV/USB

XWGP Australia Navigational Mapping

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a great topic! Just have a few questions if someone could help..

After having the touchscreen turn off never to turn on again I took it to a dealer to repair. I was informed the repair was going to cost me $3000 (aud) so this may be my option?

- to ensure I don't have the issue with the security code I need to source a unit up to 2012 only?

-it's an Australian model not sure if it has SAT but I would need a Aus or Nz nav unit if I wanted the navigation?

-has anyone yet added the back up (reversing) camera to their upgrade?

- my 4.3 stack will not go with the 8.4 unit? ( just replacing the bezel and touchscreen)

Any help would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Journey Crew with satellite radio and the smaller info screen. Would these two items be all I need to upgrade to the 8.4" screen w/ Nav? Thanks!

2012 GPS/TV Screen/Info Center Dodge Journey

DISPLAY W-NAV 2012 Radio Dodge Journey

AM FM MP3 DVD NAV RBS OPTION

Also, what is the difference between these two items?

receiver, navigation, AM-FM-CD-DVD-MP3-HDD-navigation-WMA (RE6)
receiver, navigation, AM-FM-CD-DVD-MP3-navigation (RB5)

I have a 2012 Journey Crew with satellite radio and the smaller info screen. Would these two items be all I need to upgrade to the 8.4" screen w/ Nav? Thanks!

2012 GPS/TV Screen/Info Center Dodge Journey

DISPLAY W-NAV2012 Radio Dodge Journey

AM FM MP3 DVD NAV RBS OPTION

Also, what is the difference between these two items?

receiver, navigation, AM-FM-CD-DVD-MP3-HDD-navigation-WMA (RE6)

receiver, navigation, AM-FM-CD-DVD-MP3-navigation (RB5)

hi you will need:

8.4 screen

8.4 nav receiver (rb5 or re6)

8.4 nav BEZEL. Instrument Panel. Center. . A/C controler whit the SD card slot (make sur you have the auto button factory on your car)

the difference between rb5 and re6 is the re6 as a integrate hard drive (hdd)

check out my youtube video will explain what fit on your car

hi you will need:

8.4 screen

8.4 nav receiver (rb5 or re6)

8.4 nav BEZEL. Instrument Panel. Center. . A/C controler whit the SD card slot (make sur you have the auto button factory on your car)

the difference between rb5 and re6 is the re6 as a integrate hard drive (hdd)

check out my youtube video will explain what fit on your car

post-9183-0-75511200-1409750589_thumb.jp

post-9183-0-71836000-1409750590_thumb.jp

post-9183-0-78484400-1409750591_thumb.jp