Brake Dust

Seems like the car has some excessive brake dust. I wonder if they have made some dustless brake pads for the Journey yet? Seems like Dodge is pretty good at having brake pads that put out a lot of dust. I currently have three Dodge's and all them have the same problem.

My Journeys brake dust is not bad at all. I have a Ford Ranger and the brake dust it puts off is far worse. This is usually based on the brake mfg (ie. Bendix etc.). I do not know what brand my Ford garage used on my Ranger but they are horrible. This is the third set on the Ranger, so it is the brake mfg not Ford or in your case Dodge.

..... it is the brake mfg not Ford or in your case Dodge.

Good point. Dodge has picked a dust happy brake pad. I have heard that more dust the pads throw, they have more grip. One of my rides is terrible with dust. But it has the best brakes of any of my previous rides.

The dust on my SXT is brutal! Rims won't stay clean for more than 4 days. wyoram you may have something with more dust = more grip, every BMW I see has filthy front rims when the rest of the vehicle is spotless, makes me wonder how long they will last though. Having said that, my 04 Corolla has great brakes and hardly makes any dust. I drive it 160 kms (100mi) round trip to work every day in stop and go traffic for at least half of that trip. I put my first set of pads on it at 120, 000 kms due to some noise, and they looked like they still had 40, 000 kms left on them.

2 Things may possibly cause this. 1. Type of Wheel Dressing... I use things like Turtle Shell Tire Wax and Armorall (spelling) Paste, both are applied with a sponge vs. Spray on wheel dressing, which during application gets everywhere and even if you wipe of your rims you have left an oily sticky surface, which would hold dust more than a rim without. 2. I wonder if it could be the rims themselves... What I mean is the Chrome Clads vs. Aluminum. The Chrome Clad, from what I have read are actually a thick plastic cover mounted to a steel wheel. That being said plastic tends to generate more static electricity, which would hold dust better. That may be a reach but a car generates a great amount of static electricity when moving through the air.

I have the 19" aluminum and my brake dust is minimal and I am very particular about how my wheels look. Wheels with dressing on them can make a car look 10 times better than ones without. What sort of shoots my theories down is the fact that my Ford Ranger (as stated in previous post) has the worst brake dust problem in the world. The rims are aluminum and I use the paste wheel dressing??? I am surprised the Environmental Protection Agency is not confiscating my truck it puts off so much brake dust. Oh well just 2 cents from a ranting lunatic. Wanna talk politics and religion...lol

• 3 months later...