I'm confused why you would need to tap into the speaker wiring? Installing an external sub/amp is all extra wiring that you have to run from the battery/radio back to the the trunk of the car. You'll need to run a fused power wire from the battery, the remote turn on from radio itslef, RCA cables to the radio, and ground the amp somewhere in the trunk area.

Tapping speaker wires won't give you the same bass control as a dedicated sub-out from the head unit. In other words when you crank the bass you'll be getting bass to all speakers plus the sub, instead of high and mid to the speakers and low to the subs.

However, if the 4.3 doesn't have dedicated sub-outs why not just trace the wires going to the door speakers. You'll then be able to see which wires are the speakers and then you'll know which ones to tap behind your dash. Assuming of course Chrysler was smart enough to use different color wires.

Also, as for the remote wire for the amp, if there isn't one on the back of the 4.3 you'll need some other sort of power switch to turn on your amp. Back in the day l I saw a guy tight for cash run a remote line with a toggle switch tapped into the main power line for the deck to turn on the amp. Not the nicest set up, but it worked for him until he was able to afford swapping out the factory deck.

Edited by AstralRT

Thanks a lot AstralRt ! I was wanting to make my setup quickly removable as I have a 7 seater and I still need the small cargo space sometimes. I'm gonna use the 12V outlet for the remote and I ordered a RF switch to control the amp from the sunvisor buttons if I want to turn it off when driving :) I know RCA is the best pick, but in the 2011 you cannot change the headunit without spending at least 500-1000 bucks.... I'm on a budget so the LOC will do the job :)

With your tight space, I'd look into swapping your door speakers, for some nice 6x9s, 3 ways.

A small sub is not really worth the loss of the already little room in the 7 seater.

Now, you can connect your amp on signal to an ACC power, with a in line switch to be able to shut it off.

On my caravan, pin 22/21 from the radio (2011) are REAR, right side, 22 neg.

Another thing, my non sound sys SXT has a small sub in the back. Check if yours has it, and tie off there.

I love coming here with something in mind and seeing that someone has already beat me to it, gives me hope for progress!

I too have the non-premium sound but I don't think there's a sub back there. All the lows are distributed pretty well from the doors and those speakers hit pretty hard IMO. I was thinking about a small 10" in one of the grills in the cargo area but maybe 2 6x9" 3(or even 4)-ways would produce a more complete sound,

Edited by 7one8

I completed the install using the dodge charger 2009 wiring diagram... Seems the speaker wire colors match the ones on the journey. I'm gonna be posting installed pics to show how it looks with a 12 inch enclosure. It looks like I can still carry 6 passengers with this box in the trunk I hooked it on the cargo hooks so it doesn't travel everywhere :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've always used an LOC. Tap the speaker wires at the speakers. They make LOC's now that don't require a remote turn-on to be run all the way to the front of the car, you can use the signal from the speaker. Have one on my wife's Avenger and it works perfectly... I can try and remember to look up the model number, but it was by far the easiest LOC I've ever used and I will probably get one for the DJ when I get around to adding a sub.