weird noise

formervan

Has anyone exerienced a slight noise in the front left wheel area while turning left, often while turning left while in a dip or going downhill at the time of the turn? We love our red SXT!!!!

Hi formervan -

I have an R/T and am experiencing the EXACT same noise as what you mention. I've seen that mentioned several times on this forum and, unfortunately, it does not appear as though anyone has got any solution! Of note - mine does seem to be getting worse, so I suspect a 2nd trip back to the dealer will be coming soon! I'll post if I get any interesting news!

Good luck-

Sharon

Mine is doing the same thing. I've read on this forum that there was a TSB that addresses a wiring harness that comes in contact with the left axle and makes a rubbing noise. Mention this to the dealer and let us know what they say. I'm going to get under mine this week and see what is actually happening.

Mine is doing the same thing. I've read on this forum that there was a TSB that addresses a wiring harness that comes in contact with the left axle and makes a rubbing noise. Mention this to the dealer and let us know what they say. I'm going to get under mine this week and see what is actually happening.

The recall has to do with the wire chafing against some of the suspension components and eventually short circuiting, possibly causing a fire, as this harness carries at least one high-current wire. I seriously doubt if that is the same issue that's causing a noise that's audible in the cabin. I've heard at least two members of this forum say that a similar noise was fixed by the dealer replacing the entire exhaust system, and one said that a similar noise was fixed by simply tightening a heat sheild in the exhaust system.

• 5 weeks later...
Has anyone exerienced a slight noise in the front left wheel area while turning left, often while turning left while in a dip or going downhill at the time of the turn? We love our red SXT!!!!

Hi everyone-

Got some interesting news from my last trip to Burgunder Dodge in Bridgeville, PA:

1 - I do NOT recommend them for service - my husband, who is a tech, had to show them how to fix some items. The "shop foreman" was the one working on my car. I can't figure that one out.

2 - they "could not duplicate" the noise on the car. I am disgusted with this. The car makes the rubbing noise EVERY time you turn left, and they claim to not have been able to make it do it, so I'm stuck with it, I guess. We mentioned seeing all of the potential corrections on this site, but they were not interested and were not willing to try anything to correct the issue.

3 - they were able to correct my heat shield rattle AFTER my hubby crawled under the car WITH the foreman & showed him what to do

4 - my rotors are already warped in the front. Less than 3K miles. They are replacing under warranty, but I have yet to hear anything from them and they had the car in mid/end July!

5 - my windshield wiper cowl is cracked and missing a piece that causes the buzzing noise I was getting around 72 mph. Again, this will be corrected via warranty - but I've not heard anything yet.

Overall, I now have close to 3600 miles on the odo and while I love the car, I am so disappointed in the service that I am receiving in repairing my issues. If anyone has any tips that could help - I am more than willing to listen! Happy crusing!

Thanks, all,

Sharon

5 - my windshield wiper cowl is cracked and missing a piece that causes the buzzing noise I was getting around 72 mph. Again, this will be corrected via warranty - but I've not heard anything yet.

This was an issue for mine as well, and it took about two weeks for the part to come in, but they were able to replace it pretty quickly.

From a post on another thread. (appreciate the original author)

The rubbing / grinding noise you are describing comes from cavitation within the power steering pump. Fluid inside the power steering reservoir sloshes during turns uncovering the pump inlet port that in turn causes the pump to suck air. Pumps make bad noises when trying to move air and hence the rubbing / grinding noise. Issue can be corrected by increasing the fluid level in the pump and purging all the air from the system.

We developed the following interim service fix so take vehicle to a Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep dealer and ask them to refer to STAR Online case #K10403532. TSB will be issued in September.

If this fails to correct the problem. Please re post. I want to fix your vehicle.

Case Number K10403532

Vehicle Issue Owner complains of a honk, groan or similar noise while turning. May occur during right or left hand turns but seems to be more prevalent while making left hand turns.

System or Component Noise,Groan,Honk;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 19 - Steering;Turn / Turning;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously

Recommendation If this occurs, before replacing steering system components please perform the following Engrg-recommended steps (updated 7/28/08): 1) Fill steering reservoir to MAX line plus 4mm. 2) Using Mitivac hand pump apply 20-25 in-Hg vacuum and leave for 3 minutes (engine off). 3) Release vacuum pump. 4) Start vehicle and perform 5 lock to lock turns (NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops). 5) If fluid level drops below 4mm above MAX, repeat steps 1-4. 6) Test drive vehicle performing hard left turns while accelerating and decelerating to ensure vehicle does not exhibit honk. 7) If vehicle still exhibits left turn honk noise, repeat Steps 1-7. (NOTE: If there is a large amount of air ingested into the steering system, this Procedure may take up to 6 hours to complete).

we have a black sxt and love it but have had it in the shop quite a few times one of those time my wife noticed a sort of whine in the left front when we would turn left. We couldn't get it to do it for the service people at dodge but someone came in the same day complaining of the same thing. The dodge service manager got to checking in to it and come to find out there was an rrt about the power steering and they replaced all components. only took a few days for the parts to come in and it does not do it anymore.. be sure to check into it better to be safe then sorry.

I've head that noise several times now and I think it's the tire rubbing on the shock mount. If you look at the mount, it is extremely close to the tire and actually goes over the top of the tire a bit. This is a VERY stupid design as it limits the size tire you can install to the current size.

I think when you are turning at speed, the tire leans a bit to the right at the top and rubs the tower. Mine doesn't do it very often but it does look like the tower has been rubbed.

If you take some whiteout and paint the area with it, and then get it to make that noise you can confirm if that is the cause. The whiteout washes right off so you have no permanent issues but it will show a clear indication if it has been rubbed.

If you don't have whiteout, a crayon or possibly chalk should work also.

Just make sure you don't drive through any water while you are testing it or it will wash off and ruin the test.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the dealer look at mine and they have ordered a new Power Sterring Pump for it. They are not sure that is the fix, but to me and I have been driving for 40" years, hat's what it sounds like. I have the same condition as you only when turning left and when the car flexs a little, like into a parking lot.

The noise you are hearing is due to cavitation in the power steering pump. Your steering is fine and will remain fine. Replacing the pump will not correct the issue. The procedure below will correct the issue. Refer your dealer to Tech Tip TT 9001828. He should see this Tech Tip automatically when he tries to order the pump from MOPAR. Trust me this will correct your noise. See positive results on this blog under the "grinding noise when turning" post.

Power Steering Pump

Part Numbers:

05151835A$

Issue Description:

A. If replacing a pump on a vehicle with a 3.5L engine built prior to February 29th 2008, please refer to Service Bulletin 19-001-08 for the flash procedure and LOPs.

B. Before replacing a pump for a complaint of a honk-type noise when turning left, please perform the following procedure:

1) Fill steering reservoir to MAX line plus 4mm

2) Using Mitivac hand pump apply 20-25 in-Hg vacuum to the power steering fluid reservoir (per the service manual instructions) and hold vacuum for 3 minutes (engine off)

3) Release vacuum and check fluid level. If fluid level dropped below the MAX line plus 4mm, repeat steps 1-3. If fluid level stayed at the MAX line plus 4mm, repeat steps 2 and 3

4) Start vehicle and perform 5 lock to lock turns (NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops)

5) If fluid level drops below 4mm above MAX, repeat steps 1-4

6) Test drive vehicle performing hard left turns while accelerating and decelerating to ensure vehicle does not exhibit the honk noise.

7) If vehicle still exhibits a left turn honk noise, repeat Steps 1-7. (NOTE: If there is a large amount of air ingested into the steering system, this procedure may have to be repeated several times).

I have had the same problem since about 2000 miles. The dealership replaced my entire powersteering system and it did not help one bit. I have taken it in the two different dealerships and no one knows what to do. I hate my STX

I have had the same problem since about 2000 miles. The dealership replaced my entire powersteering system and it did not help one bit. I have taken it in the two different dealerships and no one knows what to do. I hate my STX

You may want to look in the TSB section about a rubbing noise while turning left caused by the power steering pump cavitation due to insufficient fluid in the reservoir. If you add fluid, 4mm or 3/16" above the full mark, make sure it's the +4 synthetic ATF. I checked with my dealer on the correct fluid and was told that the ATF+4 was OK to use as I couldn't find power steering+4. The owners manual also said you can use either fluid. Good luck and enjoy the Journey. Love mine.

Wild Bill

Trust the response from mjm48. That exact procedure was performed on my black SXT and it worked! It was exactly as he said. Take that response to your dealership, and if they don't want to work with you, find one who will!

• 1 year later...

I've had my 2009 Dodge RS since October....I am having the same issues that most of you are having. I've taken it to the dealership 4 times, the last time a Chrysler rep flew to Florida to listen for the noise. That was Jan 11,2010 and I haven't heard from her yet. NO call, no return phone calls....same noise! So far they have replaced the power steering pump and the reservoir.

I was told that there is nothing more they can do. This is not acceptable to have a loud noise on a brand new vehicle. The mechanic rode with me after my 2nd trip to the dealership and he heard the noise.

I hear the noise when I go up hill, turn right or left, or right when I am accelarating from a complete stop position. I also have a rattle in my dash when I am driving around 60 mph or so. The dealership joked and said that is why I have a radio to turn up! I didnt' find that funny after 4 visits. What have you all decided to do about this?

I've had my 2009 Dodge RS since October....I am having the same issues that most of you are having. I've taken it to the dealership 4 times, the last time a Chrysler rep flew to Florida to listen for the noise. That was Jan 11,2010 and I haven't heard from her yet. NO call, no return phone calls....same noise! So far they have replaced the power steering pump and the reservoir.

I was told that there is nothing more they can do. This is not acceptable to have a loud noise on a brand new vehicle. The mechanic rode with me after my 2nd trip to the dealership and he heard the noise.

I hear the noise when I go up hill, turn right or left, or right when I am accelarating from a complete stop position. I also have a rattle in my dash when I am driving around 60 mph or so. The dealership joked and said that is why I have a radio to turn up! I didnt' find that funny after 4 visits. What have you all decided to do about this?

For the dashboard rattle, I had something similar. I was thinking it was from the dashboard, but it was not. Actually, the rattle was coming from outside the car, from the rubber that makes contact between the windshield and the plastic where are the wipers. The rubber was not in contact everywhere and at highway speed, air was going there, making the rubber vibrating and sounding like a rattle from the dashboard.

For the other noise, is it really like a power steering noise or is it more metallic?

What was the build date of your vehicle? It's on the sticker inside your door, if you don't know.

Did you look at the procedure above for mjm47? Are you sure this is what your dealer did? Note that is states replacement of power steering will not solve the problem. You'd think that at this point, with the Chrysler rep getting involved and such, that procedure would have been performed. However, I've learned NEVER to take anything for granted as far as dealership service goes.

For the dashboard rattle, I had something similar. I was thinking it was from the dashboard, but it was not. Actually, the rattle was coming from outside the car, from the rubber that makes contact between the windshield and the plastic where are the wipers. The rubber was not in contact everywhere and at highway speed, air was going there, making the rubber vibrating and sounding like a rattle from the dashboard.

For the other noise, is it really like a power steering noise or is it more metallic?

I will let the dealership know about the rattle. As far as the honk or vibration noise, it sounds more metallic like it's grinding or vibrating against something. This is very frustrating! I will never buy another Dodge again!

Trust the response from mjm48. That exact procedure was performed on my black SXT and it worked! It was exactly as he said. Take that response to your dealership, and if they don't want to work with you, find one who will!

Thank you so much, I will print that out and take it to another dealership!