'12 DJR/T - Radio/Sat/Aux constantly "skipping"

I've been having some issues with my stereo in my 2012 DJ R/T with the upgraded stereo system (not sure if that has anything to do with it)

It seems to constantly "skip" or cut out - doesnt matter if im listening to the Sat Radio, AM/FM, or with my cell phone plugged in - at first it was a quirk ... now its just flat out annoying !

Is there a software upgrade or something I need to have done to resolve this issue? Is anyone else having the same problem?

I would say, depending on the day .. it could cut out or "skip" a dozen times an hour ... or could just be a few times a day. It is a daily thing though.

I'm also noticing in the past few days that my doors seem to rattle with any kind of bass (bass is turned about mid-way ... not MAXED) ... the rattle seems to be coming from the top of the door panal near the lock (not the handle lock .. the pop up lock) on both front doors.

Not sure about the doors rattling, maybe some insulation would help or new door speakers that can handle the bass better than the stock alpines? As for the skipping, maybe the TSB below would help you. It says CD and applies to the 4.3 radio, but you could bring this to the dealers attention. I would take your DJ to the dealer and complain. You should also record the skipping behavior so that you are sure that the tech knows what he is trying to fix. You may need a new radio or new amplifier. Not sure.

Peace.

TSB

NUMBER: 08-048-11 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: December 20, 2011

SUBJECT:

RHA And REB Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHA or REB Radio.

MODELS:

2011-2012 (JC) Journey

**2011-2012 (LD) Charger**

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built prior to **October 4, 2011 (MDH

1004XX) and LD vehicles built prior to July 25, 2011** equipped with

UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3 CD/MP3 (sales code RHA) or UCONNECT TOUCH

4.3S CD/MP3/SAT (sales code REB).

NUMBER: 08-048-11 REV. A

DATE: December 20, 2011

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· **When the ignition is first turned on, the audio volume is very high.**

· **CD audio glitch and/or audio drop out for 0.2 seconds.**

· No display and no audio on radio.

· The driver's heated seat soft key is grayed out on the radio display.

· CD skips repeatedly while playing.

· CD jumps tracks after cranking the engine, turning the radio off and then on, and/or

after depressing the stop and then play soft key.

· In USB playback mode a blank screen, or the last displayed screen, is displayed

when the ABC soft key is pressed.

· An iPod Nano connected in USB mode may fail to play and/or the Pause and Play

keys are reversed on the radio display.

· Multiple instances of the same Sirius Game Zone entry may be displayed.

· Intermittently, the back-up chime sounds continuously once vehicle is put into

forward gear, instead of shutting off.

DIAGNOSIS:

If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. For all other

customers that describe the symptom/condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

**AR (1) 68147629AB REB Update Disc (version 11.41.6) for JC**

**AR (1) 68147630AB RHA Update Disc (version 11.41.6) for JC**

**AR (1) 68169945AA REB Update Disc (version 11.40.6) for LD**

**AR (1) 68169943AA RHA Update Disc (version 11.40.6) for LD**

• Official Dodge Support

I've been having some issues with my stereo in my 2012 DJ R/T with the upgraded stereo system (not sure if that has anything to do with it)

It seems to constantly "skip" or cut out - doesnt matter if im listening to the Sat Radio, AM/FM, or with my cell phone plugged in - at first it was a quirk ... now its just flat out annoying !

Is there a software upgrade or something I need to have done to resolve this issue? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Boi,

Here is the latest TSB that may apply to your issue depending on your radio. I agree that you should take it to the dealer for diagnosis even if this TSB does not apply.

NUMBER: 08-030-12 REV. B

DATE: July 12, 2012

SUBJECT:

RHA And REB Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHA or REB Radio.

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built between May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX)

and March 22, 2012 (MDH 0322XX). LD/LX vehicles built between May 1, 2011

(MDH 0501XX) and March 27, 2012 (MDH 0327XX) that are equipped with

UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3 CD/MP3 (sales code RHA) or UCONNECT TOUCH

4.3S CD/MP3/SAT (sales code REB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· USB/CD skips while playing.

· Radio changes stations on it's own.

· Radio locks up intermittently or fully inoperative.

· Radio cuts in and out, resets on it's own or completely inoperative.

· Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U0147 - Lost Communication With Telematics

Gateway.

· Radio mutes or Intermittently mutes.

· Radio Display goes blank.

NUMBER: 08-030-12 REV. B

DATE: July 12, 2012

· When the ignition is first turned on, the audio volume is very high.

· CD audio glitch and/or audio drop out for 0.2 seconds.

· The driver's heated seat soft key is grayed out on the radio display.

· CD skips repeatedly while playing.

· CD jumps tracks after cranking the engine, turning the radio off and then on, and/or

after depressing the stop and then play soft key.

· In USB playback mode a blank screen, or the last displayed screen, is displayed

when the ABC soft key is pressed.

· An iPod Nano connected in USB mode may fail to play and/or the Pause and Play

keys are reversed on the radio display.

· Multiple instances of the same Sirius Game Zone entry may be displayed.

· Intermittently, the back-up chime sounds continuously once vehicle is put into

forward gear, instead of shutting off.

• Official Dodge Support

Does this TSB apply to European models?

Because I've been suffering with these problems for a year and both the dealer and fiat spain say there's no fix.

I do not know the answer to that question as I do not have access to Fiat updates on European models. I am copying the bottom of the bulletin where it lists international dealers but it is listed under Dodge only. I do not see why a dealer could not simply order the disk and do the update but, again, I do not know the process that European dealers use over there.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

AR (1) 68147629AC REB Update Disc (version 12.6.13) for JC

AR (1) 68147630AC RHA Update Disc (version 12.6.13) for JC

AR (1) 68169945AB REB Update Disc (version 12.7.12) for LD

AR (1) 68169943AB RHA Update Disc (version 12.7.12) for LD

AR (1) 68191370AA RHA Update Disc (version 12.7.2) for LX

AR (1) 68191371AA REB Update Disc (version 12.7.2) for LX

NOTE: Dealer will order the update disc via Exchange Order Process. The core

charge will not apply. Only one update disc is required for each radio (RHA

and REB) and vehicle (JC, LX and LD) combination. Each disc may be used

to service multiple vehicles.

NOTE: ** International dealer will order the update disc via the ERES order process.

The core charge will not apply. Only one update disc is required for each

radio (RHA and REB) and vehicle (JC, LX and LD) combination. Each disc

may be used to service multiple vehicles. **

sexyRTboi,

I had the exact same issue with my 2012 SXT several months ago. At that time there was an older TSB which addressed some 2011 models. I had the dealer service my vehicle with that TSB and everything turned out great. The TSB DodgeCares posted is a revised (updated) version of what I had done. I recommend printing the TSB and mentioning it to your dealer when you take it in for service. The dealer will probally need to order the disc for the update, and once they get that in everything should be peachy.

Also I recommend writing down your saved radio stations on Sirius and/or FM/AM as the firmware update will wipe everything. Wasn't the biggest hassle to just set everything up again, but still....

Edited by mortalalliance

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday they called me from the dealership: they wanted the car to check software versions (according to their previous answer that they're up to date they knew them already, maybe they didn't), and one day later they call me telling they have an update. On Monday I'll have it applied. Crossing fingers.

Yesterday they called me from the dealership: they wanted the car to check software versions (according to their previous answer that they're up to date they knew them already, maybe they didn't), and one day later they call me telling they have an update. On Monday I'll have it applied. Crossing fingers.

Good luck!

• Official Dodge Support

Hopefully they update it and it solves the problem.

Update done. They also flashed the hands-free and the abs modules.

It's too early to say if it solved the problem of the radio not starting, the clock going too fast or the mp3 skipping, but at first sight everything else hasn't improved:

• When playing an mp3 from the CD it doesn't show the artist name (this feature was broken with the first update, it worked when the car was new).
  • Some mp3s display a bogus duration (either too long or too short, the duration shown changes randomly when switching sources).
  • Only the first 3-4 character of station names are shown.

I'm not impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

Update done. They also flashed the hands-free and the abs modules.

It's too early to say if it solved the problem of the radio not starting, the clock going too fast or the mp3 skipping, but at first sight everything else hasn't improved:

• When playing an mp3 from the CD it doesn't show the artist name (this feature was broken with the first update, it worked when the car was new).
  • Some mp3s display a bogus duration (either too long or too short, the duration shown changes randomly when switching sources).
  • Only the first 3-4 character of station names are shown.

I'm not impressed.

I can tell you that the mp3 duration problem isn't your stereo's fault. It should be your mp3 file itself. I've had the same problems on certain songs on a Mercedes, BMW, and smart car stereo display. The problem is usually solved if you rip songs off your CD using iTunes instead of other programs.

Well, all other players I tried show the duration correctly.

Edit: and the fact that even in your Mercedes/BMW/etc. this feature doesn't work correctly doesn't mean that the uconnect is right, it only means that they probably contracted the player to the same (or similar) lousy supplier.

Edited by Lebowski

Well, all other players I tried show the duration correctly.

Edit: and the fact that even in your Mercedes/BMW/etc. this feature doesn't work correctly doesn't mean that the uconnect is right, it only means that they probably contracted the player to the same (or similar) lousy supplier.

Same, it's quite odd because it can show the proper duration on my computer/home stereo/iPod/phone.

But I've solved the problem on the uconnect and other car systems by ripping songs using iTunes.

I've been using WMP to rip songs and I think that's what have been giving me problems.