Installing 8.4 radio

I'm sorry, I know this is bring discussed in a billion plus 1 threads already, sorry I'm

Wasting precious cyberspace!!

Ok, I'm on the verge of buying the 8.4 w/nav, they want (130$) for the receiver, and the actual screen (310$).

This doesn't include the AC control panel (SD) slot.

So my question is.. Do I NEED that panel. Honestly, I couldn't care less for the SD card option. Will my current, non auto AC panel work with the 8.4 receiver?

I know it will physically fit.

They want another 130$ for the correct panel. I'm thinking.. meh!

If I could save that money I will.

Any thoughts?

I cannot say with absolute certainty, but I'd say the only difference is the the SD slot, electrically they should be exactly the same.

You could try and if it doesn't work buy the panel later.

BTW, who are "they"? Because the price, while not cheap, is about one fifth of the official one, it's even cheaper than the Chinese radio on sale on aliexpress.com.

Another question, are you replacing a 4.3? Because in that case you'll also need the bezel (which is a rather expensive part).

Unless that's included in the $310 for the screen.

They is a wrecker from Michigan.

And I just found out the bezel isn't included and don't seem to have it available... Poop!

If you take out your 4.3 AC panel, you'll see that the cut out is already there, it just isn't finalized or punched thru. I think it fits. I just want to make sure, electronically, it works.

Maybe You would need the SD-slot some day to do a map update. No one knows yet, how the map updates will be delivered (DVD or SD). You should be sure, that they sell you all needed parts for this project. There is a GPS-antenna too, and for sure some mounting parts. If You have to buy some missing parts from Chrysler, i think this would be more expensive, than buying the official upgrade kit. Lebowski. the price You were talking about ist when You buy all parts from spare parts catalog. Since April, Chrysler sells upgrade kits which are about 900$ without nav and 1200$ with nav. I wanted to have an upgrade kit for my Freemont, but Fiat told me it´s not possible to change radio. It will work on on the Journey´s. Nobody knows why????

The price for the kit is $1099 without navigation and $1799 with (see the the last page of this newsletter.)

The guy that posted the above video sells the kits in Mexico, he says that it works on the freemont (though I cannot access his webpage I could see the google cache). Maybe the problem is just the language (i.e. it's not translated to European languages).

Edited by Lebowski

Maybe You would need the SD-slot some day to do a map update. No one knows yet, how the map updates will be delivered (DVD or SD).

Map updates have been discussed before. I have purchased and installed one for my 2011. It comes on DVD.

• 5 weeks later...

In the first page it says to enter the "Dealership menu" to save the settings to an usb stick.

How?

The only hidden menu I know for the radio is the one you enter pressing for 10 seconds the up and down temperature buttons at the same time as the front defrost, but in that menu there's no option to copy settings to the usb memory (at least on the 4.3, which is where the settings are to be saved from).

In the first page it says to enter the "Dealership menu" to save the settings to an usb stick.

How?

The only hidden menu I know for the radio is the one you enter pressing for 10 seconds the up and down temperature buttons at the same time as the front defrost, but in that menu there's no option to copy settings to the usb memory (at least on the 4.3, which is where the settings are to be saved from).

I would assume that the dealer service dept. has that ability with their computer connected to the system. I don't think you can do it without the service computer connected.

They is a wrecker from Michigan.

And I just found out the bezel isn't included and don't seem to have it available... Poop!

If you take out your 4.3 AC panel, you'll see that the cut out is already there, it just isn't finalized or punched thru. I think it fits. I just want to make sure, electronically, it works.

If you don't want to buy it @ that price I'd be willing to give it a go. PM me their info if you don't want it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just found everything, screen w/bezel, and receiver for 475, shipped.

I'll be buying it just shortly. I need to make sure the wife really wants it.

Any thought?

It's the RB5 unit w/nav.

Btw, what's the RB6 radio?

I found this on the Dodge Dart info- RB6 Uconnect Touch 8.4N CD/MP3/NAV - $495

Multi-function display screen 8.4; Illuminated I/P surround; USB input jacks; Rear camera parking distance sensors; Audio system with one CDs , digital media card and satellite radio; 1-disc in-center console CD changer; Navigation system with 3D and voice; Voice activating system for radio, phone and navigation system; Requires: [RSP] Uconnect Voice Command W/Bluetooth And [AMT] Premium Audio Group; Excludes: [RSC] Sirius Satellite Radio And [RB5] Uconnect Touch 8.4N CD/MP3/NAV