Window switches w/ express feature

So as Ive said b4, I have a 11' caravan on top of the DJ, and the caravan has full auto up and down buttons for the front windows. Looks indentical to the DJ controls, do I tried the caravan controls on the DJ, no surprise, plugs into just fine, but the front windows don't open or close.

But interestingly enough, the rears do.

I see that the caravan controls have fewer prongs on the front plug.

The DJ has enough prongs where it seems like it controls the window directly, the caravan seems like it goes thru the canbus.

Anyone have an opinion on the matter?

Could it be a starscan activated feature?

One of the issues is likelly to be related to Canbus. The front switches probably aren't recognized by the BCM (Body Control Module) because the feature that they service isn't enabled - since the rears work the same they likely may well BE the same, from the perspective of their ID numbers on the bus.

I suspect you'll need to take your vehicle to the dealer to have the feature added . . . . the days of upgrading by replacing parts from one trim line to another are gone and the dealers are the only ones who can enable the changes (and often THEY don't know this, not to mention that the ones who do now how to charge). This ain't your father's Chevy.

Hopefully soon we'll be able to buy a device that we can use to enable our own features - it can't be all THAT difficult.

Not a smart idea to swap parts cause they "look" the same, can cause alot of damage that way.Journey BCM is probably full of codes now. Journey and Caravan use differnt data bus systems, so switches are differnt, even if optioned the same. Now that said, if you got a Journey switch, with auto options it should work. The switch is differnt, its not a feature u can turn on and off. And there is a device that can go in a change some things, the factory scanner, Witech, its about $7500 plus subscription :-) There will never be an aftermarket device that can do the same.

Hopefully soon we'll be able to buy a device that we can use to enable our own features - it can't be all THAT difficult.

Discovering the meaning of some of the messages in the CAN bus isn't too difficult (it isn't too easy either), but I think that finding a way to modify the settings is another matter: a lot of people tinker with their router (a $50 piece of equipment) and find the way to install a different firmware, the same with a mobile phone or a tv set (did you know that the low end sets are actually the same as the most expensive ones but with features disabled in software?), but not so many are willing to potentially brick a $20000-$30000 car.

Those that are professionally reverse-engineering these things won't sell their knowledge cheap (see the various audio/video interfaces that are more expensive than the factory option, which isn't cheap to begin with), so unless there is somebody on the inside leaking information, I think that it is that difficult.

Discovering the meaning of some of the messages in the CAN bus isn't too difficult (it isn't too easy either), but I think that finding a way to modify the settings is another matter: a lot of people tinker with their router (a $50 piece of equipment) and find the way to install a different firmware, the same with a mobile phone or a tv set (did you know that the low end sets are actually the same as the most expensive ones but with features disabled in software?), but not so many are willing to potentially brick a $20000-$30000 car.

Those that are professionally reverse-engineering these things won't sell their knowledge cheap (see the various audio/video interfaces that are more expensive than the factory option, which isn't cheap to begin with), so unless there is somebody on the inside leaking information, I think that it is that difficult.

Look at a compnay like Ross-Tech. They have been doing adjustments for VW (Audi, Porche, Lambo, SEAT, etc) for years. Their program is reasonably priced and works fantastic. Making changes and adding factory parts and options is so easy when you know which bits / bytes to chage in the car's software. There's no reason that a similar company could not do the same for the new can-bus Dodge product..

Did the journey at any point have the window express feature?

Mine only has the front driver's on the down roll.

I also wish It could roll down the windows from the key..

My 2011 Crew (Canada) has express up and down on both front windows and I can roll down both front windows using the key fob.

Edited by drb227