NItrogen in tires

Mohammadsen

I don't have nitrogen in my Journey tires, but do have it in my other two cars. One of which was filled with nitrogen in 2009 and I haven't had to top them up yet, the other was only filled a few months ago when I put new tires on, so far so good.

Mine has Nitrogen fill from new-check and see if you have a green

valve cap on tire stems that one way they id it.

Much controversy over pros and cons-after all the air we breathe is 80%

nitrogen and yes I know the molecules are larger but it doesn't help

rim leaks or punctures.

It expands and contracts with almost the same curves as air.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, t

The only real advantage over air is that nitrogen is dry.

Compressed air is very moist, and most compressed air tanks hold a lot of water that can make its way into the tires.

That causes corrosion on the tire press sensors.

Also, Nitrogen doesn't seep through Rubber as much as regular (nitrogen has larger molecules than Oxygen), so it will maintain proper inflation longer. As for water in compressed air tanks, I recommend to people to by yourself a little portable compressor; it's as dry as oxygen can be. Besides, most filling stations charge for air now days anyway.

Cheers!

Steph S.

Edited by Psyke

I have nitrogen in my tires. My dealer puts it in all their new cars and anytime you purchase tires from them. They also do refills at no charge. I've read that in addition to maintaining proper pressure longer (and thus better gas mileage) and not attracting moisture, nitrogen also helps the tire to run cooler. That's important here in Florida. With the price of tires these days, I think it's worth it to help them last a little longer.

• 2 weeks later...