Paddle Shifters?

silentdan

I was doing some searching on the net regarding this mod and saw how someone installed Paddle Shifters on the Auto stick Charger.So naturally my curiosity kicked in and was wondering if our Journeys are suited for this kind of mod.I know Hurst sells Paddle shifter kits but I was just looking for some input from more knowledgeable peeps on here.

Probably not a big deal when comes to wiring

in the shift console,parallel wire the switches

for manual mode.

The toughest part would be in the steering wheel

where you would have to add secondary clockspring

to accommodate paddle electrical path.

Probably not a big deal when comes to wiring

in the shift console,parallel wire the switches

for manual mode.

The toughest part would be in the steering wheel

where you would have to add secondary clockspring

to accommodate paddle electrical path.

Yeah I think you are right.And my 2010 DJ has no room on the steering wheel cause the volume buttons are there.The 2011 and 2012 are better suited for this cause all the button are on the front.Also I was watching a vid on Youtube and the people from Mastershift were claiming they can install paddle shifters on any model car.

Maybe I will shoot an email to hurst and ask them about this.I think the Journeys could look great with the paddle shifters.

Edited by silentdan

This project sounds difficult to me, but have you thought about switching your Journey steering wheel for a Charger wheel with the paddle shifters? I feel certain you could get one from mopar. Not sure about compatibility, but you would have the newer style wheel and OEM shifters already on the wheel. Then you should be able install your kit minus the kit shifters. I'm assuming you already asked the dealer and they said it was not possible. Good Luck.

Peace.

This project sounds difficult to me, but have you thought about switching your Journey steering wheel for a Charger wheel with the paddle shifters? I feel certain you could get one from mopar. Not sure about compatibility, but you would have the newer style wheel and OEM shifters already on the wheel. Then you should be able install your kit minus the kit shifters. I'm assuming you already asked the dealer and they said it was not possible. Good Luck.

Peace.

That sounds like a good Idea that is worth looking into.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

That's something I did not know.

You can mount the paddles fixed to the column. Where they don't turn with the steering wheel, they sit a couple of inches behind the steering wheel.

Many cars WITH paddle shifters are designed like that.

I'm not the primary driver of the DJ, so I don't know. How responsive is the manual shifter?

You can mount the paddles fixed to the column. Where they don't turn with the steering wheel, they sit a couple of inches behind the steering wheel.

Many cars WITH paddle shifters are designed like that.

I'm not the primary driver of the DJ, so I don't know. How responsive is the manual shifter?

Smart thinking..I was looking at some Mitsubishi cars and noticed that the paddles where on the column which makes sense.

This will be my project in the near future.I even found some online company that makes kits that can be installed.

This mod is more for the look than anything else. In autostick mode if you hit the redline the tranny will shift up , if you slow down too much it will downshift by itself to prevent you from stalling. Autostick is an illusion , you don't really have the control over the engine. Useful if if tow something , if you want to use the compression when going downhill ... even if you try to rev the engine in P or N position it will cut the fire at 3000RPM .... i don't say this mod is bad ... just want to save you money :)