Installing Fog Lights

My SXT did not come with fog lights. I am wondering if it would be very difficult to have a dealer now install fog lights or whether it can even be done. How would they handle a switch for the fog lights?

I don't suppose it would be that difficult. My fog lights turn on when you pull the end signal turn stalk out. Hard to describe. If you don't mind the fog lights being on all the time with the low beams, the all you'd need to do is wire a small relay in between the battery and the low beams to the new fog lamps. That's how many yaftermarket fog lamps are installed.

There are also plenty of places in & around the center console that you could install an on/off switch and keep it discreetly hidden.

here is an example from eBay

• 1 month later...
My SXT did not come with fog lights. I am wondering if it would be very difficult to have a dealer now install fog lights or whether it can even be done. How would they handle a switch for the fog lights?

Yes it can be done.

However...

I had my dealer order me the fog light kit for $129.00. They dealer said it would be about $300 to install them. So I decided to tackle it and install them myself. One problem when I received the fog light kit was no switch was included. I went back to the dealer and showed him the kit. They said the kit should have come complete with the switch. So they ordered me the new switch at no charge to me. The switch happens to be on the steering column where the headlights and turn signals are.

The installation took me about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. I had it all correctly installed or so I thought, but the fog lights would not turn on. I took it to the dealer, they ran the computer code to turn the fog lights on and they still didn't work. The dealer had to call Chrysler. The wiring diagram was incorrect. The dealer rewired it and did not charge me. They said they would get paid from Chrysler for it. Voila! Now I have fog lights, and factory at that. I would assume that Chrysler will correct the instructions soon as this will cost them money each time this happens.

SXT FWD

Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat

Flexible Seating Group

Convenience Group I

Safe and Sound Group

Rear Seat Video Group I

Fog Lights

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a fog light kit from my dealer for $210 plus taxes. After the kit came in, the dealer told me I would have to order a switch that didn't come with the kit for another $70 plus. The switch took 3 weeks to arrive and it took the dealer 1.6 hours to install the lights. They work very well and I am satisfied with the way they work. I wasn't aware before that you cannot run fog lights with your high beam as there is a law against it.

I think I will have my dealer check out re being charge for the fog light switch.

I ordered a fog light kit from my dealer for $210 plus taxes. After the kit came in, the dealer told me I would have to order a switch that didn't come with the kit for another $70 plus. The switch took 3 weeks to arrive and it took the dealer 1.6 hours to install the lights. They work very well and I am satisfied with the way they work. I wasn't aware before that you cannot run fog lights with your high beam as there is a law against it.

I think I will have my dealer check out re being charge for the fog light switch.

Has anyone just went to the dealer and ordered fog lights and had them installed with no issues?

and at what cost????

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me, if all you have to do is pop out the plastic covers on the SXT.

Where the fog lamps go or do you need new pieces for the fog lights?

Company Lease and any thing I add I may have to leave.

Looking to maybe go after market for fog lights.

If the savings is worth the hassle.

Hate to spend $130 + for light I may need to leave in.

Either way I would not be using the factory the switch.

As I need the fogs on with high beams at times, even if I go factory,

Can anyone tell me, if all you have to do is pop out the plastic covers on the SXT.

Where the fog lamps go or do you need new pieces for the fog lights?

Company Lease and any thing I add I may have to leave.

Looking to maybe go after market for fog lights.

If the savings is worth the hassle.

Hate to spend $130 + for light I may need to leave in.

Either way I would not be using the factory the switch.

As I need the fogs on with high beams at times, even if I go factory,

I was trained (emergency responder) that you never use high beams in the fog. The reason being, the light reflects back into your eyes making visibility worse. Thats why fog lights are mounted so low, close to the ground. The factory fog lights are 45 watts. I've installed HID type replacement bulbs (9006) that are 55 watts without a problem. I have known people to go as high as 65 watts without a problem in the factory lens, but I think thats going to get a little hot. If you need alot of light in the fog, go with a 55 watt bulb and leave the high beams off. BUT......

If you are handy and not using the factory switch, you could install them yourself and hook them up, via a relay, to be on any time you want. Just flip on the switch. Hope this helps you out!

• 1 month later...
I was trained (emergency responder) that you never use high beams in the fog. The reason being, the light reflects back into your eyes making visibility worse. Thats why fog lights are mounted so low, close to the ground. The factory fog lights are 45 watts. I've installed HID type replacement bulbs (9006) that are 55 watts without a problem. I have known people to go as high as 65 watts without a problem in the factory lens, but I think thats going to get a little hot. If you need alot of light in the fog, go with a 55 watt bulb and leave the high beams off. BUT......

If you are handy and not using the factory switch, you could install them yourself and hook them up, via a relay, to be on any time you want. Just flip on the switch. Hope this helps you out!

thanks for the reply(s),

but I do not intent to use High beams in the fog... lol

Glad to see they still teach "no high beams in fog"...

There are many around here that do not seem to know it.

You would think the blinding glare would be a clue... ;-]

Especially with the bright White light s of today's cars

any way,

I drive home some times late at night, often with cloud cover so no moon or stars.

On 5 miles of rural road that is dark tar and gravel road.

The beams on this car simply are set to shine to wide and not far enough up the road.

I do not think I can adjust the lights up higher without blinding on coming traffic so that is out.

Seems to be a Chrysler thing as our Mazda does not do this. My Pacifica was the same.

Why do i need to light the trees 30' plus feet off the road.... lol (Deer watching maybe?)

Hopefully I will not be using what most people today call fog lights (white light, driving lights)

If I have to use driving lights, I plan to replace the bulbs with amber or yellow for use with low beams and foggy weather

Which on this road has had me going barely above idle with my head out the window to see... ;-]

I have this set up on my 96 explorer and rarely even use the high beams. Hoping for the same results.

But it is nice to have options in the dark.

Not looking for OFF Road lighting. Just solid, low, straight up the road improvement.

all that said, I would appreciate it someone could answer this question....

"Can anyone tell me, if all you have to do is pop out the plastic covers on the SXT.

Where the fog lamps go or do you need new pieces for the fog lights?"

I would hate to pop them out to look and not be able to put them back...

• 10 years later...