Timing Belt on 3.5L Engine

ddbutton1

I do almost all of my own mechanical work, but I am concerned about changing the timing belt on the Journey 3.5L engine because the engine is transverse. The timing belt cover is up against the right strut tower and the engine mount is in the center of of the "loop". So far I can't find any repair/installation directions for the Journey. (Mopar has a service manual, but it only works on Windows 7 and earlier with Internet Explorer - I am 100% Apple)

If anybody reads this and has instructions, service manual or experience changing the timing belt on the 3.5L engine in the Journey - I'm up for making a deal.

The 3.5L in the 2009 Journey is the same engine as in the Charger and Challenger. I have seen some minimal instructions for replacing the belt, but only for "forward facing" engines. The basic replacement and timing arrangement is the same on the Journey, but since it is transverse mounted the disassembly from the beginning has additional obstacles. For one, there is only 1/2 inch clearance from the main pulley to the strut tower of the body; and secondly, the engine mount is in the way to get the belt out and back in. The engine was probably assembled with the mount, but when it is in the vehicle the mount traps the belt. It's like they took a lesson from the Asian manufacturers. (Goes together OK, but don't worry about maintenance.)

• 8 months later...

Just had mine done yesterday along with the water pump and tensioner- the water pump had began to "seep" so it was a good thing I had the procedure done

Also had new plugs Mopar NGK installed and it seems to run very well took my mechanic six hours

I used the Gates brand for the timing belt, tensioner and water pump and a goodyear Gator serpentine belt

160600 klm's

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the timing belt on my wife's 2001 300M a few years back. Fortunately, the motor was mounted front to back. After taking off the bulk of the front fascia and the radiator, etc, it wasn't too bad, just time consuming. I can't imagine doing it on a transverse mounted engine. Good luck. If anyone does this on tehir own, please update us!

Thanks,

Bruce

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...