Impressed with the 0-60 mph acceleration!

Jay Sixspeedrt

I have a GPS speedometer app for my DroidX, and the app has got a 0-60 mph timer built into it. So I took my 2012 Hero AWD 3.6 onto a backroad, and ran a 0-60 mph timing in Autostick mode

I only did one run - 7.4 seconds.

I think that's really impressive for a 4000 lb+ vehicle with a full tank of gas, and contents in the trunk area, and one that will get 22 mpg on average.

I shifted into 2nd at about 6000 rpm - maybe I could shave a couple tenths off that time by shifting closer to redline, and also 'loading' the transmission by reving up to 2000 rpm before releasing brake?

At any rate, fun stuff. :)

I'd say pushing 5000 lbs for the AWD. It would be interesting to compare manual mode to the "D" or automatic mode. 7.4 is pretty good. Interesting that you did not shift from 1st until 6000. I suppose I'd be afraid I'd do some damage. I know that computer would override any bad decisions and shift before damage is done, but it seems that the computer would have intervened before 6000 rpm. :shrug:

What app exactly is that? Fun stuff, I agree.

Peace.

Redline for the Pentastar is 6400 rpm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Pentastar_engine

The engine is electronically protected to prevent over-revving - you hit the redline and the engine rpms hold at the limit. In general, these sorts of engines make more power higher in their RPM range so shifting higher in the rpm range is desirable. Haven't played much yet, but the Pentastar may deliver best acceleration by shifting just shy of the 6400 rpm redline (6300-6350 rpm)

As for the app, it's called GPS Speed Free. Look around though, there may be better apps with more functions in the Marketplace. Can't take screen shots, for example, with GPS Speed Free.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to how your time would compare with letting the tranny in "D" and just letting it do its own thing. I am quite impressed by how the transmission keeps the revs up when you are hard on the gas from a stop. It seems to be programmed to keep the revs up under hard acceleration. How about one more run for the records; this time in D. ??

Fantastic! I would like to drive the Chry 200 with this motor in it. I can't believe the take off in my FWD Journey; I would imagine its even more so in the 200 or Avenger. It will be interesting to see if they do indeed throw a turbo or two on this engine.

Car & Driver reports this for the 200 sedan/Pentastar :

Zero to 60 mph: 6.3 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 16.7 sec

Zero to 110 mph: 20.9 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.5 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 14.9 sec @ 94 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 120 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 181 ft

Edited by bigtsr

• 6 months later...

Hello from Toledo Oh.

I currently own a 05 Magnum RT AWD. 0 to 60 times 5.6 to 5.8.

I test drove a new Avenger rt a while back and was very impressed with its zero to 60 acceleration. In fact it felt quicker then my Magnum. Torque steer is bad... You better have a good grip on the wheel when you floor it. Also, Turn off the traction control and power brake it.. It will smoke the tires!!!

This little car could be the Roadrunner of future. And the price is right.

Hello from Toledo Oh.

I currently own a 05 Magnum RT AWD. 0 to 60 times 5.6 to 5.8.

I test drove a new Avenger rt a while back and was very impressed with its zero to 60 acceleration. In fact it felt quicker then my Magnum. Torque steer is bad... You better have a good grip on the wheel when you floor it. Also, Turn off the traction control and power brake it.. It will smoke the tires!!!

This little car could be the Roadrunner of future. And the price is right.