Help with bluetooth and navigations modules on 2011 Dodge Journey

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the relationship, if any, is between the bluetooth and navigations module on the 2011 Dodge Journey? The reason I ask is that I recently had to get my bluetooth module replaced due to failure, but in the process of getting it replaced at the dealership they somehow broke my navigations module. They are telling me that the failure of the navigations is completely unrelated and just happened to happen while the car was in their possession. I find this hard to believe as I had to make a few visits while they tried different things (such as flashing and reflashing the firmware) in order to get the bluetooth working.

The reason why this is important to me is that I don't have an OEM warranty but do have a third party warranty (due to the fact that I bought my Journey used and imported it from the US to Canada). As a result, they want my warranty provider to pay (which I'm not they will do under the circumstances) for the navigations unit even though they seem to have broken it.

Thanks

As the General says; If it worked when you gave it to them they have to return it in the same condition. What if they managed to hole a tire while they were moving your car around? Would you accept the vehicle back with a flat tire or worse, pay the bill fotr a replacement tire? That wasn't related to the orignal problem. Would you pay to replace that tire? What if your windshield broke for any reason or they scratched the paint? This is no different.

I hope that you are driving one of the dealer's cars while yours is in ther shop - do NOT collect your vehicle until it is properly repaired. Continue to drive theirs. If you take the car back you will have 'accepted' the repair - though I suppose that one could argue that you only noticed that they broke your nav only after you left the lot.

If you can't get satisfaction from the dealer and the warranty company won't cover you, pay to repair the vehicle properly, even if it means buying a brand new radio or modules - and make sure you get the old parts because you will have paid for them ( because they will send the old ones back under warranty and claim the labour under some other unit's VIN even if it did come out of your unwarranted vehicle) and make the dealer pay any deductible then sue both parties in small claims court and let the judge decide whether it is the dealer or the warranty company that has to pay. The only thing that is certain is that YOIU aren't the person who should pay for this repair, no matter how the problem occurred.

Document everything. Keep a journal. Do not agree to pay for anything. If you can't get the dealer to accept responsibility for his actions make HIM negotiate with the warranty company - you should not have to pay anything to anyone as this is between the dealer and your warranty provider. If this gets confrontational, send a synopsis to the dealer by registered mail and demand the dealer fix the item that HE broke. (You'll need this type of documentation to prove you did everything you could to the judge). If the warranty company tries to duck responsibility, make sure you send registered letters to them - be polite and firm and include the phrase 'Without Prejudice' in the letters. Feel free to point out that you WILL sue in small claims court if you don't get satisfaction.

The good news is that if you are forced to lay out funds you will get a bit of interest on the money that you will have paid - a lott more than a bank would.

The bad news is that most dealers, warranty and insurance companies know that 99% of people who threaten to sue never actually do. Most clients will accept some sort of settlement or worse, do nothing, so they just blow you off. Remember that you can only sue to recover money spent, so if you DO accept a settlement of some sort you will have a lot of bad feelings, but no basis for a claim.

Edited by bramfrank

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Unfortunately I did take the car home as I did only notice the problem when I was picking it up and they initially had said that it wouldn't be a problem to bring it back and fix it at no charge. At that time I had no reason to believe that there was going to be a problem.

The service manager is supposed to call me tomorrow. I'll start by insisting that they pay for the repairs. If that fails I will then ask that they deal with the warranty company directly in order to work it out between them who pays. If things get nastier than that then I will follow the steps that you have outlined.

The reason that I had asked about the modules was to get an idea of what they might have done to actually break it. I know that either way, they're responsible. But I figured that I'd check to see if anyone knew the technical details in order to be informed a bit better when I'm talking with them.

Thanks again for your help, I'll follow up with results later.

• 1 month later...