Some album art isn't showing up on 8.4N

So my wife and I picked up our new 2012 Dodge Journey R/T on Tuesday (LOVE IT by the way...), and I'm noticing that when I plug in her iPod nano to the USB port and play music on the 8.4N that only SOME of the album art appears. I know that all of the album art is on the nano, because I see it when I play it on just the nano. Any ideas of why this is?

This is a well known issue that has been discussed in several threads here. No fix as of yet, not sure there ever will be one.

These systems all(not just Dodge) use the Gracenotes database for album art. It doesn't seem to be very complete. Also, if any of your songs aren't tagged correctly, that will prevent the album art from being found.

I made a suggestion to Chrysler a while back - if the album art is not found in the database, just use the album art in the music file itself or better yet, if you turn off the option to use Gracenotes in our 8.4 systems, just use the album art embedded in the file(USB or SD Card) or use the album art from the iPod/iPhone itself.

Are you sure it uses the Gracenote database for album art? My impression was that it uses Gracenote to identify the songs, albums, artists, etc. but the album art comes from the file itself. Of course, using that logic I've made absolutely sure that album art is embedded in all of my mp3 files, but there are still a lot of songs that don't show the album art in the car. The Gracenote database must be pretty large if it holds art for most every album in existence. Of course, if the database isn't regularly updated new music would never have album art displayed.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I too would be surprised if the car is downloading album art from a wireless database rather than using the files that are already on the device. I can see ALL of the album art on my iPod nano, I can't see all of the album art on my Journey's screen.

There is a gracenotes database already installed on the 8.4/8.4N units. Chrysler also has this in their other touch screen units in other vehicles, as do many other manufacturers. If you turn off the music cleanup option, album art no longer displays. If you turn it back on, album art displays again.

This is from the Dodge website:

Integrated Gracenotes® database provides Music ID and Album Art as well as generates voice tags, allowing songs and artists to be selected using voice recognition commands

When I turn off music cleanup, I still have album art and the songs from my iPod look exactly the same. Voice recognition also seems to work exactly the same way with the iPod whether music cleanup is turned on or off. As far as I can tell, the iPod interface doesn't use music cleanup at all. That's why I don't understand why the album art doesn't show up for some songs from the iPod when I know that the album art is embedded in the files.

• 3 months later...

Someone has managed to make the covers of albums appear on the screen?

Anything new?

Nope. When I turn off Gracenote in my 2011, I get no album art. I have not gone the extra mile to be sure that my album art is absolutely correct like generaltso, but I do have album art on all my iPod files. I can live without album art so it doesn't make me crazy, but if album art would show reliably, it would be super cool. Instead, the stereo system is just adequate. It plays music and sounds good. When I turn Gracenote on, I get some album art, but some of my file names are goofy and some music is listed incorrectly. For me, I'd rather be able to reliably use the music search function in Uconnect instead of having occasional album art. Play with your stereo. If you discover anything, please let us all know.

Minimally, a Gracenote update is needed from Chrysler. The solution to this problem is to update the Uconnect software to use the image information within the music files unless the Gracenote option is selected by the user. I'm no computer programmer, so I don't know how difficult that is. BUT, from the user's prospective, that is the solution to this problem.

Chrysler is aware of the problem and the user complaints. Hopefully they are working on a solution. And hopefully, that solution will be applicable to our "older" Uconnect systems and not just for the new models. Time will tell. Until then, I have an adequate stereo system. Overall, I love my Journey though.

Peace.

Minimally, a Gracenote update is needed from Chrysler. The solution to this problem is to update the Uconnect software to use the image information within the music files unless the Gracenote option is selected by the user. I'm no computer programmer, so I don't know how difficult that is. BUT, from the user's prospective, that is the solution to this problem.

This is exactly what I said months ago when I first posted about problems with album art not always showing and artist names sometimes being incorrect. I detailed this a Chrysler rep I was in contact with at that time.

DodgeCares, anything you can do to pass this info along to those inside Chrysler? Any chance of an update coming out soon to remedy these issues? This is not a new issue and surely must be known by Chrysler at this point?

The spotty album art is annoying, but I can live with it. What's really driving me nuts is that fact that the system needs to recatalog my iPod every time I turn the car off. My kids constantly ask for a specific song, which is why I made sure to get a car that would allow me to easily choose a song from the 3000+ on my iPod. Now we get in the car, the kids request a song, and I have to say that they have to wait 10 minutes for the iPod to recatalog before I can select it. The voice command for selecting songs is great, but I hardly ever get to use it because the iPod is constantly recatalogging. There is no reason for this to happen every time the car is turned off when nothing is changing on the iPod.