Possible Future Buyer

Sarah Saucerman

Hello! Just looking for some honest reviews on the Journey. Found a 2010 SXT and am very interested, but haven't found any real good reviews, about everyday life use with the Journey. I currently have a Kia Soul, and adore it, but I know it isn't my forever car. We get a little crammed in it. I also babysit during the day, and two car seats and a booster are very tight back there. Looking for family reviews. How easy is it to get in and out of the 3rd row? Have you had any major problems? Does it feel roomy? How well does the interior hold up? Things like that please! And thank you in advance!!

I have a 2011, so I'm more familiar with that year than the 2010. I do know, however, that the interior was redesigned for 2011. You will have to look at a 2010 and 2011 to see what your opinion is on the differences (most seem to agree that the new 2011 interior is nice). Also for 2011, the Pentastar engine is the standard 6 cylinder - which offers more horsepower than 2010 and good economy too.

If you have two car seats and a booster, it might be a little tight. You have to tumble / slide the second row seat forward to get to the third row, which is tight for adults. It would also be a pain to lift a small child and buckle them in back there. If your kid in the booster seat can get in the seat and buckle up by themselves, though, then it's not as big of a deal.

The 8.4n is the way to go, in my opinion. Love love love having the huge screen, and the backup camera works great.

Any other specific questions? My wife and I have three kids, so hauling the family around is something we're used to.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a Journey, as there are many on here including me that love ours. I have the third row in my 2011.The third row is accessed thru moving the second row seat forward. This, however can not be done with a car seat tethered to the anchor spots. There may be room in the second row for two car seats and a booster. I have my grandson's seat in the back from time to time and have had two other people in there with him in his seat.

Thanks so much!!! I definitely need to get inside one and really take a look at the third row situation. But I just can't see myself in a mini van :) The interior too is important to me, that is something Kia really failed with. I see you live in Michigan, do you have the AWD or the FWD? I am looking at a FWD only because it is in my price range. I live in Wisconsin so our Winters can be brutal. Need something that can handle. The kia does okay in snow with the right tires. Thanks for your help!

I have a 2012 Crew FWD.

This was a purchase to make it our family vehicle.

Things that I love about it.

- Tons of storage, can't get enough, bins under 2nd row floorboard, under front passenger etc.

- 3rd row seating. I am 5'10" 150lbs, and I fit easily in the 3rd row and actually sat comfortably during the test drive... haven't tested again since :D (so putting kids in the back here shouldn't be a problem at all.)

- Quick access to 3rd row, pull one lever that folds up the 2nd row and slides easily. Easier access using the 40 split side.

- If you can find a used one with 2nd row seat boosters... comes with 2 built in, takes up no more room than the regular seat. Could possible fit car seat/booster in middle of 2nd row as well... so can go inseat booster - external booster/car seat - inseat booster.

BTW FWD/AWD is sort of up for debate, it helps when you are stationary and are trying to get go. Or on a hill and have to stop and go. Or if you are plowing through snow and possible risk getting stuck (though this last one, how often do you really drive on unplowed roads?)

Other than that, while you are travelling and if you hit ice, FWD/AWD are pretty much the same.

I went back and forth for a month trying to decide between FWD/AWD... in the end I chose the FWD... didn't really feel AWD gave much for the added cost / maintenance / weight / more things to break.

From what I gathered from the reviews FWD w/ good set of winter tires > AWD w/ All seasons

Edited by Estoyloco

Thanks guys! Looking at a 6 cyl. Good info on the seats. As for the AWD FWD, those are good points. And every vehicle is different. This is my first winter at our new home with my fwd Kia. And so far we've had nothing for snow so there hasn't been a problem. We have a longer driveway now and it comes out in an odd spot, so getting through the snow is ideal! But if it handles well with snow tires that's good info. I currently have All Seasons on the Kia and haven't had a problem.

I appreciate all the input. The Journey has caught my attention because of the seating capacity, gas mileage for being an SUV, price, and cuteness :) Coming from a very "cute" Kia Soul, I still want to look in the driveway and be happy with what I'm seeing. I have been looking at other options, but the Journey is at the top.

This is a link of what I'm possibly looking at, price range, vehicle wise, in general.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tab=summary&recnum=&actLog=&listingId=80358845&paId=431040602&listingRecNum=14&criteria=prMx%3d22000%26sf1Dir%3dDESC%26prMn%3d0%26mkId%3d20012%26stkTyp%3dU%26mdId%3d21286%26rd%3d100%26crSrtFlds%3dstkTypId-feedSegId-cpoId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3d53158%26rn%3d0%26PMmt%3d1-1-0%26stkTypId%3d28881%26sf2Dir%3dASC%26sf1Nm%3dprice%26cpo%3dY%26cpoId%3d28444%26sf2Nm%3dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3dfalse%26rpp%3d50%26feedSegId%3d28705&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&&aff=national

I use three car seats in mine. Two boosters and a anchored seat. It works great because the seats move so easy to get to the third row and there is still plenty of room. But If you are using two car seats that are anchored it's not going to work for you with the third row. I have a 2011 as well. The price of a new one is better then a used one as well. Might be something to look at!

Another question, do any models have the phone syncing? Many towns and counties by us are going hands free, and I do love getting in the Kia and having the phone hook up to the speakers!

Yes, but not all do, so make sure the one you're looking at has Bluetooth. It's easy to tell, just make sure there's a phone button on the steering wheel.

Don't be put off if the one you are looking at doesn't come with Bluetooth - in the US the high line models include it but it is an extra cost option for all models in Canada and on the lower trim levels in the US. At this time the integrated one cannot be added after the fact no matter what the salesperson says.

If yours doesn't have it you can always get a separate one - mine is a function of my Garmin navigator, though I also have a unit from Scoche that uses the auxiliary input in the console and the sound comes out the built in speakers . . . it switches automatically if you plug your music source in to the aux as well (with this solution you would need to switch over manually to access your phone if you were using the radio or an iPod plugged into the USB)

I appreciate all the info. Hoping to sit down at the bank sometime this week and get some actual numbers so I can start looking realistically. Also need to go test drive a few different SUV's. Found some Sorento's to also take a look at. Just looking for something that won't disappoint :)

For families with young children, how is your interior holding up? I unfortunately being a first time mom when I got the Soul, made some mistakes that you don't make with a brand new car!!! Nothing that detailing can't take care of, but a pain in the butt regardless!! Was hoping for something with leather interior, but at the prices I'm looking at I just don't see it happening! Obviously learned that seat protectors are a must lol

I have always swore by leather. It's easy to clean and maintain. I have 3 kids ages 7,4, & 2! I went with cloth in my journey mainly because that's all they had on the lot in the new models but I will say I'm very very impressed. I have the black cloth interior and it hides EVERYTHING! It's also scotch gaurded. The kids got candy and pop and chips on it and you can't see a thing! My interior still looks new after a month of severe abuse lol. I'm sure I u got a lighter color it wouldn't be as nice for cloth but if you have to stay in cloth go black! It's been amazing with my kids messes :)

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! Thanks! I got the Soul right before my son was a year. I had moved him from bottles to the soft tipped sippys to get him used to it, but if they hit the seat just right or got top down somewhere, they leaked all over. Have had to shampoo the seats a couple times already. And crums and what not ingeneral. Would MUCH prefer the leather.

Still looking into everything. My family was hit hard with the flu so I've been pushed back a few weeks on everything.

Can't really tell from your first post if you are looking at a used 2010 SXT or buying new. I have the 2011 R/T. Love it. I don't have a 2010, but it looks like the 2010s have more issues based on my reading this forum. Get an 11 or 12 model, IMHO. Lots of storage space, great power, drives like a smaller car. I drove everything before deciding on my R/T. It simply outclassed everything else. Good luck.

Peace.