A 2012 Dodge Journey R/T with nonexistent cloth interior exists...

pantheman75

Alright... explain this to me. I just came across a 2012 Dodge Journey at Feeny Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Midland in Michigan. It's the first 2012 Dodge Journey R/T that I've come across in the midwestern United States, and it comes with a cloth interior (I called them and verified that it does in fact have a cloth interior). You can view the window sticker HERE to see what I'm talking about.

The weird thing is that the 2012 Dodge Journey R/T doesn't come with a cloth interior... it's not on the website, in the brochure, or available through ordering. Can somebody please explain to me how a cloth version exists??? I REALLY wanted to order my 2012 R/T with cloth, but was told that it doesn't come with it... and now the first one I find has it. My 2012 Dodge Journey R/T hasn't been built yet, so I'd like to figure this out ASAP incase I need to try and make a change to my order. I've asked my dealership about it.

Alright... explain this to me. I just came across a 2012 Dodge Journey at Feeny Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Midland in Michigan. It's the first 2012 Dodge Journey R/T that I've come across in the midwestern United States, and it comes with a cloth interior (I called them and verified that it does in fact have a cloth interior). You can view the window sticker HERE to see what I'm talking about.

The weird thing is that the 2012 Dodge Journey R/T doesn't come with a cloth interior... it's not on the website, in the brochure, or available through ordering. Can somebody please explain to me how a cloth version exists??? I REALLY wanted to order my 2012 R/T with cloth, but was told that it doesn't come with it... and now the first one I find has it. My 2012 Dodge Journey R/T hasn't been built yet, so I'd like to figure this out ASAP incase I need to try and make a change to my order. I've asked my dealership about it.

The R/T trim was late availability, so they probably made the first bunch of them with the parts they had available. I'm beginning to realize that the things that the different trim levels are "supposed" to come with is really more of a guideline. I don't see why they couldn't put cloth in a custom order R/T. Has a VIN been assigned to your car yet? If not, changes should still be able to be made. Don't bother asking your dealer to make changes to your order. Just email voimteam@chrysler.com with your request and your order number. If anyone can make a change to your order, it's them. I tried to have the dealer add the rear seat entertainment group to my order a few days after it was placed, and they said that it was too late. I emailed voimteam@chrysler.com and they got back to me immediately saying that they successfully added it to my order.

I wonder if they had some leftover 2011 interiors that they just threw in the first few non-special order R/T's to roll down the line? I'm so bummed because I really wanted the cloth interior, was told it doesn't exist, and then the cloth interior is in the first one I find.

Yes, the cloth is great. The 2011 R/T trim came with cloth, so you are probably right that they are using up what they had. If you can get it, do so.

I think that the black leather with red stitching looks nicer, but you can't beat how cloth is warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, and won't wrinkle or crack like leather does over time.

Yeah, don't like leather but I do like heated seats. That's why I was happy to find that the Journey could be had with heated cloth seats. After adding the heated seats, it would only cost $250 more to add leather, which is actually a fantastic price for 3 rows of leather.

I got a response from Dodge about the seats:

There was a running change to make leather interior standard on the Journey R/T that went into effect starting with orders placed on after October 4th. The vehicle listed on the window sticker was ordered on October 3rd.

Your order is currently in D1 status (Gateline) and has an estimated ship date of December 16th , and is no longer eligible to receive the cloth interior.

I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Sincerely,

Shannon Costello

The thing that doesn't make sense is that I was unable to place an order for a 2012 Dodge Journey R/T until the middle end of October. I know because I kept trying to order from several dealerships from about the beginning of September on. So they're basically telling me that I missed the window to order cloth when the window was never open. Bummer.

So they're basically telling me that I missed the window to order cloth when the window was never open. Bummer.

It certainly sounds that way. I guess the only way to get a 2012 R/T with cloth would be to find one on a lot that happens to have all the options you want. Of course, it doesn't look like that one you found has heated seats with the cloth. There's also no reduction in price for substituting the cloth for leather, which doesn't seem right.

• Official Dodge Support

I got a response from Dodge about the seats:

There was a running change to make leather interior standard on the Journey R/T that went into effect starting with orders placed on after October 4th. The vehicle listed on the window sticker was ordered on October 3rd.

Your order is currently in D1 status (Gateline) and has an estimated ship date of December 16th , and is no longer eligible to receive the cloth interior.

I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Sincerely,

Shannon Costello

The thing that doesn't make sense is that I was unable to place an order for a 2012 Dodge Journey R/T until the middle end of October. I know because I kept trying to order from several dealerships from about the beginning of September on. So they're basically telling me that I missed the window to order cloth when the window was never open. Bummer.

Patheman,

While the dealers you may have been trying to order from could not place another order on the Journey, other dealers may have been placing their orders. When the model year changeover happens dealers have an allotment which they can order of any particular vehicle, this allotment is also used much of the time on hot selling vehicles. This number may be calculated on a number of factors such as dealer size, location, etc. If a dealer has already ordered their allotment, the other dealers around the U.S., Canada, and anywhere else the vehicle is sold has to have their shot at order fulfillment before the system will again open to your dealer. This prevents dealers from hoarding in demand vehicles. As far as getting cloth with heated seats once this configuration has been changed, I am afraid General is correct that the only way would be if a dealer had already ordered one with this configuration and it is still sitting on the dealers lot.

I got a clarification e-mail from Dodge:

I’d like to further clarify.

The Journey R/T opened up for retail ordering late in the day on October 3rd. Other markets were opened for ordering prior to October 3rd.

When the ordering system opened up for retail orders, the cloth interior was available to order in error, and was shut off shortly after (within an hour). However, in the meantime, 10 orders came in with cloth interior. Since the plant was already taking orders with cloth interior for other markets, and since the orders were placed prior to October 4th, these 10 units were able to get built with cloth interior.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Sincerely,

Shannon Costello