Back to regular tail lights on the 2012 Journey?!

I watched a video on youtube the other day and it looked like Dodge went away from the LED tail lights on the 2012 model. I almost didn't want to believe it, but yesterday I saw one on the road: could it be true? Are those regular tail lights, just like they were on the pre-2011 models?

Just for accuracy, in Canada at least the CVP was the SE in 2011. They seem to have dropped the SE moniker for 2012, at least according to the Canadian web site - LEDs come on the SE PLUS and above. Not sure why they call it a 'plus' in Canada if they no longer have an SE. There is no badge identifying Canadian 'plus' models - you need to check the exterior styling cues.

In both Canada and the US the CVP/AVP come with regular bulbs and the SE (SE plus in Canada) is the model above the base and have LED tail lights, roof rails (with crossbars in Canada) and more. What you get for your extra money in each country is as follows

Canada:

LED Tail Lights

Tinted windows

Roof rack side rails WITH crossbars

Leather wrapped steering wheel & shifter

17" alloy wheels

Floor mats

Body coloured mirrors

retractable cargo cover

US:

LED Tail Lights

Tinted windows

Roof rack side rails (NO crossbars)

To get body colored mirrors, floor mats, 17" wheels and such you need to take it up to the SXT in the US - which also gives you the six cylinder engine (with dual exhausts and six speed tranny), fog lights, standard Sirius-equipped radio and more aggressive looking front bumper/grill.

Why they option them so differently is beyond me. I'm sure they have their reasons - it does seem as though the upgrade to the SE/SE Plus is a much better value proposition in Canada than it is in the US. Then again, the Canadian Journey outsells the US one by a huge margin on a per capita basis - could this be why?

Quick question: The US brochure states that the TPS system simply says OK, Hi or Low for pressure indication. My SE Plus shows actual tire pressure values (albeit in 7 kpa steps) on the EVIC - do US models show numbers? Or is the American TPS simply an idiot light setup?

Edited by bramfrank

Quick question: The US brochure states that the TPS system simply says OK, Hi or Low for pressure indication. My SE Plus shows actual tire pressure values (albeit in 7 kpa steps) on the EVIC - do US models show numbers? Or is the American TPS simply an idiot light setup?

The American version does show numbers (in PSI).

• 11 months later...

I don't understand what the logic is to having the TPMS in 7kpa intervals in the Canadian version. If they were gonna do that why didnt they just leave it in PSI?

I understand that PSI is USA and kpa is CAD but this means that a change of 1 PSI would be visible on the display but a change of 6 kpa would not.

You would be able to see on the TPMS a change from 36psi to 35psi, however on a change from 255kpa to 249kpa you would not know. WTF?

1 psi is slightly less than 7 kpa - the TPS transmitter clearly is calibrated in individual steps of PSI and the display allows approximating kpa on the display, which is why it moves in 7 kpa steps . . . . my old LHS has a TPMS that reads in individual steps of 1 kpa - damned accurate, too.