No TPMS Light With Winter Rims?

Armendegga

Not sure if any other 2011 owners have come across this. I elected to not install the TPMS sensors with my 2011, and my Journey doesn't notify me at all. No extra dings that I can see. No light on the instrument cluster. When I go into the Tire Pressure section on the EVIC, it shows N/A for all for tires (obviously), but I thought it was weird that it isn't putting on the light or anything.

It may be that in your ,or similar, situation when the receiver isn't getting a response from any sensors it's programmed to not set a check system light but may store a trouble code. Though I do find it interesting it doesn't flash check monitors/system. Maybe it's similar to a TV not receiving a channel it blue screens.

Edited by coolram62

There was a thread on here a week or two ago with reports of the same behavior. I think that's a fantastic feature so you don't necessarily have to invest in TPMS sensors for your winter wheels. I assume it would still light up the warning light if it wasn't all 4 sensors that were missing, because then it could just be a failed sensor. But if all 4 are missing, it assumes they were removed on purpose. My big question is whether or not this behavior is the same on the American models since TPMS is required in the US.

@Woodsey - You're right. I did get the warning once. The very first day, and nothing after that.

@Generaltso - Yeah, I think it's a pretty sweet feature too that it doesn't nag you and show the light all the time. Would be interesting to know if this works the same way for US vehicles as well. I'm thinking that this might have been one of the changes in one of the EVIC updates because I believe there were a few users... drb227 I think might have bene one, that said that the light always came on when he started his Journey.

Yes indeed, when I first got my Journey on March 1st of this year, the EVIC would warn about the TPMS every time I drove with the winter tires on.

It would seem that one of the updates I had applied at my first service http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?/topic/2474-first-big-service-on-my-2011-crew/ has changed this behaviour as I only got the warning the first time I put the winters on a few weeks ago. No warning lights or beeps since then. Just shows N/A in the EVIC when you look at the tire pressure.

Do you hate the fact that you had to buy them or is there something about their functionality that you hate?

It was an added expense that was not necessary if or when winter tires are reqd I dont mind using an air gauge to check tire pressure.I think the senors are more likely to fail in the winter with the ice snow slush cold salt etc.

I'm sure those dash lights are not meant to be on continuously just glad to see they put in a disable feature wish I had it