Front license plate bracket for 2012's?

I have the 2011, purchased in a state that does not have front plates, and I wanted to put a vanity plate on. I went to the dealership and there was 2 different types of OEM front brackets available. A $20.00 one and a $60.00 one. None were in stock, but mine called for the cheaper one and was delivered 2 days later. Looks good- not a metal bracket, but a solid piece of form fitted black plastic that contrasts great with my white journey.It serves the purpose just fine. 2012's will most likely be the same as the 11's, just check the dealership.

Is there a front license plate bracket available for the 2012's? I was walking around the dealer lot this morning and noticed that several Dodge Journey's that had license plates screwed directly to the front bumper, and it looked like CRAP.

My 2011 didn't come with one either and they screwed it directly to the bumper and you are right it looked like crap! I found out the part number for the bracket on another forum and had the dealer order me one. Before it came in I found the bracket for mine in a plastic bag in the under floor storage in the back. It was in a bag with the cargo net. Look there if you didn't get one from the dealer when the car was delivered. I can't believe that Chrysler would let the dealers put the plates on without a bracket.

Mine doesn't have a bracket either. It's screwed right onto the bumper. Seemed a little odd to me too, after reading this ... but not something I really paid attention to or noticed when I picked it up. I wonder if it can/will affect the paint on the front bumper, and if it does, if that's covered by warranty for replacement? Seems like it should, could almost be considered a defect.

I was at another area dealership the other day, and the Journey's on the lot did have a fitted front bumper license plate mount for the 2011 models. I double checked with the parts department at the dealership that I ordered the car from and there is a front license plate mount part available. What isn't clear, is if I need to order it, or if it comes with the car upon delivery (perhaps in a bag in the trunk as other people here have said). The dealership speculated that it does come with it because the factory knows the license plate laws for the state that the car is being delivered to. We'll see...

Here's a picture I took of a 2011 Journey with the front license plate mount:

web.jpg?ver=13196508770001

Edited by pantheman75

I like that. Please let us know what you find out.

I was at another area dealership the other day, and the Journey's on the lot did have a fitted front bumper license plate mount for the 2011 models. I double checked with the parts department at the dealership that I ordered the car from and there is a front license plate mount part available. What isn't clear, is if I need to order it, or if it comes with the car upon delivery (perhaps in a bag in the trunk or something). The dealership speculated that it does come with it because the factory knows the license plate laws for the state that the car is being delivered to. We'll see...

Here's a picture I took of a 2011 Journey with the front license plate mount:

web.jpg?ver=13196508770001

My 2011 didn't come with one either and they screwed it directly to the bumper and you are right it looked like crap! I found out the part number for the bracket on another forum and had the dealer order me one. Before it came in I found the bracket for mine in a plastic bag in the under floor storage in the back. It was in a bag with the cargo net. Look there if you didn't get one from the dealer when the car was delivered. I can't believe that Chrysler would let the dealers put the plates on without a bracket.

i found mine there to i was going to order one glad i seen it,got to put my Steeler plate on

• 2 weeks later...

The bracket part number is 68140112AA

Is this part number for the one like in the pictures posted on the white journey in this thread? We have a 2012 SE and our Faschia is not like that one so don't think that bracket will work (maybe if we modified the edge it would, not sure though)

• 4 weeks later...

Is this part number for the one like in the pictures posted on the white journey in this thread? We have a 2012 SE and our Faschia is not like that one so don't think that bracket will work (maybe if we modified the edge it would, not sure though)

Yes it is the one in the picture.

I live in a province that doesn't require front plates, I have my bracket at home, will check tonight when I get home. I would definately sell it seeing as I have no use for it.

Terry

• 1 month later...

I bought my 2011 SXT in a province that doesn't use a front plate, but live in one that uses 2 plates.

There was not a front plate holder with the vehicle and I just asked the dealer where it was and they

ordered one in and sent it to me, problem solved !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is a link to the front license plate (factory part) frame: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/LICENSE-PLATE-KIT-MCZ/8670779/68140112AB.html There are several types, even a special model for "export" (I'm guessing it is suitable for the "long" plates used in Europe) and they appear to be fairly "universal" in fit on the all the Journeys....I didn't look at the listings that hard though, so, there may be minor differences in their shape, but, I wouldn't think the curve of the bumper changed much over the years.

AFAIK, all MOPAR vehicles come from the factory with the front bracket, they just aren't installed. I live in PA where there is no front license plate, however, every Chrysler product I've bought since we moved here, 22 year ago, came with the bracket. It was never installed, but, was in the back of all the vehicles (including my DJ) in a plastic bag. Chrysler doesn't know where the car will eventually be sold and they ship them "50 States" ready, that means that it should have had the bracket. Whether the dealer lost the original or threw it away, is debatable, but, the car, I'm almost certain, came with one originally.

Did anyone find a part number for the license plate bracket for the 2009-10 Journey? It would be nice to have one that fits the shape of the bumper. Thanks

I gave up looking for one for my 2012 SE. I Just use the dealer one screwed in to bumper, just got used to it.

Here is a link to the front license plate (factory part) frame: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/LICENSE-PLATE-KIT-MCZ/8670779/68140112AB.html There are several types, even a special model for "export" (I'm guessing it is suitable for the "long" plates used in Europe) and they appear to be fairly "universal" in fit on the all the Journeys....I didn't look at the listings that hard though, so, there may be minor differences in their shape, but, I wouldn't think the curve of the bumper changed much over the years.

AFAIK, all MOPAR vehicles come from the factory with the front bracket, they just aren't installed. I live in PA where there is no front license plate, however, every Chrysler product I've bought since we moved here, 22 year ago, came with the bracket. It was never installed, but, was in the back of all the vehicles (including my DJ) in a plastic bag. Chrysler doesn't know where the car will eventually be sold and they ship them "50 States" ready, that means that it should have had the bracket. Whether the dealer lost the original or threw it away, is debatable, but, the car, I'm almost certain, came with one originally.

This bracket you listed is for the 6 cylinder Journeys. I have 2012 SE which is 4 cylinder and the front fascia is different than on the 6 cylinder models. I talked with Managers and parts and service people, and there was not a factory type bracket for my model. And yes, I stood there as they looked through their parts catalog on the computer. I believe that a lot not all mopar vehicles are not shipped with a factory front bracket as dealers will put on there own dealer branded brackets.

This bracket you listed is for the 6 cylinder Journeys. I have 2012 SE which is 4 cylinder and the front fascia is different than on the 6 cylinder models. I talked with Managers and parts and service people, and there was not a factory type bracket for my model. And yes, I stood there as they looked through their parts catalog on the computer. I believe that a lot not all mopar vehicles are not shipped with a factory front bracket as dealers will put on there own dealer branded brackets.

If you scroll down the "fitment" column, you find this:

DODGE JOURNEY FWD, 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT, 4-Speed Automatic VLP SE

2012, 2013

It (the link) does, in fact, fit the 2012 2.4L 4 cylinder 2012 SE model... I still maintain that the cars, for the US market, come with the brackets. The car has to be "licensable" in all the states, as I mentioned, my 2013 had its bracket in the rear cargo area in a plastic bag with the net cargo holder and the 4 pin plug for the trailer hitch option. Conceivably, they could not include it on cars shipped to a state that doesn't require a front plate, but, with the way the cars are shipped and then "hijacked" by dealer swaps on their way even that doesn't make sense. Years ago, they came from the factory with the front brackets already mounted...it was very recently that they stopped coming "pre-installed" because people like me, didn't want the bracket with no license plate and we didn't want the holes left when taking them off (my '89 Lebaron has those "ugly" holes from when I removed its bracket - ugly!). The dealers "advertising" on the licenses is a frame and not part of the bracket itself; the first thing I remove from new cars along with the name and adress on the paint surface.

If you scroll down the "fitment" column, you find this:

DODGE JOURNEY FWD, 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT, 4-Speed Automatic VLP SE

2012, 2013

It (the link) does, in fact, fit the 2012 2.4L 4 cylinder 2012 SE model... I still maintain that the cars, for the US market, come with the brackets. The car has to be "licensable" in all the states, as I mentioned, my 2013 had its bracket in the rear cargo area in a plastic bag with the net cargo holder and the 4 pin plug for the trailer hitch option. Conceivably, they could not include it on cars shipped to a state that doesn't require a front plate, but, with the way the cars are shipped and then "hijacked" by dealer swaps on their way even that doesn't make sense. Years ago, they came from the factory with the front brackets already mounted...it was very recently that they stopped coming "pre-installed" because people like me, didn't want the bracket with no license plate and we didn't want the holes left when taking them off (my '89 Lebaron has those "ugly" holes from when I removed its bracket - ugly!). The dealers "advertising" on the licenses is a frame and not part of the bracket itself; the first thing I remove from new cars along with the name and adress on the paint surface.

Well, looky there, I must of been half asleep when I looked at that this morning, didn't see the scroll on the side. LOL. I would like to see an actual picture of this before I bought one though.

And yes, correct the branded Frame is not apart of the bracket itself, poor choice of words on my part on previous post. But anyhow, I was looking for a bracket/frame combo like I've seen on the 6 cyl models in the dealer yard. Just a plane bracket serves no purpose for me now that I have holes already for the dealer frame. And for us in states that do still require the front plate, we are stuck with holes anyway we do it.

My 2013 Crew came with a front plate bracket, but I did not install it (even though I'm supposed to) because I think it ruins the look of the front end. The part number on the back of the bracket is 68140111AA. That should work for you since the fascias are the same, only the grilles are differently styled between Crew and R/T.