Brake Warning lite coming on

Hey all! I'm driving a 09 R/T with about 33,000 miles. Would anyone have any idea why the RED " brake" lamp on the dash would turn on and off? Seems that every once in awhile, after driving for 10 mins or so, the red "brake" dash lite will turn on after I am stopped (with a nice little chime) at a light.. As soon as I start to accelerate it turns off. It may come on at the next stoplight, it might not come on for a week. The pedal is always firm, no brake noise, parking brake is off. Only comes on after I've been driving and am stopped. If I apply the parking brake, the lamp stays lite and the car won't move. Release the parking brake, the lamp goes off, the cars moves just fine. I'm kinda stumped. :unsure: Anyone??? :shrug:

I'd say it sounds like a short in a wire, or a bad/loose sensor. In my experience, it's usually a sensor issue. I'd have it checked at the dealer. Having driven vehicles that have unexpectedly lost brakes before, it's not something you want to mess with. (Anyone ever try stopping a 74 Ford Gran Torino when the master cylinder goes? FUN!!)

I know nothing about the '09s but it may be as simple as a

switch mounted on the emergency brake assy being or out of adjustment.

The switch would be normally open when the brake is off,possibly it's loose

or going bad,I would physically look at the assy to visually identify.

See if it's loose!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder? If it gets low the brake light on the dash can illuminate. Our '00 T&C Ltd did this when the brakes were almost worn out and the fluid had dropped as the pads wore. Might want to check the brake pads for wear. They may be almost worn out.

Well here is a little update.....

Upon further review, I needed new pads all the way around as well as new rotors. Looked harder at the fluid level and saw it was at the min. line. Looked at the rears (33,300 miles) and saw the pads were almost metal to metal. Checked the fronts while I had it up (21,000 miles, replaced the pads at 11,000 miles with ceramic pads the first time, but the rotors were OK). When we checked the rotors the rears were at the min spec, not sure if I could have even gotten a cut on them, and the fronts were just as bad. Since I did the work myself, the rotors and new pads, all ceramic (lifetime guarantee on both pads & rotors) ended up costing just shy of $300.00 :banghead:

I won't rant and rave about the brakes sucking, we know they do, :rolleyes: but 33,000 miles on rears?? I've got 50,000 on my Chrysler Sebring Convertible and they still have plenty left. Oh well, what can you do? Maybe Dodge will devise an upgrade kit or something. :idea:

Pay attention to those idiot lites, they are there for a reason!! :yup: