No AM/FM Sound in the Mornings

Has anyone else come across this issue...during colder mornings (anything below 8 degrees Celsius) upon first starting my car I have no AM/FM sound...there is sound for the CD, Sirius and GPS but not the radio. You then have to restart the car one or two times and it works. Pretty consistent issue each morning. I've had it in to the dealer twice...the first time they couldn't find anything wrong and just yesterday they replaced the amp as others have had done...but this morning, again no sound. Anybody else have this issue happen to them...any thoughts on what it might be...radio, wiring?

Your dealer needs a lesson in troubleshooting . . . . if you have sound from other sources, but not the radio, the problem will not be in the amplifier that is common to all of the I/O, but rather the with the component that houses the tuner or with the connections to the radio's antenna - probably a cracked trace on a circuit board or perhaps a poor connection to the antenna - a broken wire that makes the connection after the vibratio of starting - itt pulls open when the wires 'shrink' at night.

Your dealer needs a lesson in troubleshooting . . . . if you have sound from other sources, but not the radio, the problem will not be in the amplifier that is common to all of the I/O, but rather the with the component that houses the tuner or with the connections to the radio's antenna - probably a cracked trace on a circuit board or perhaps a poor connection to the antenna - a broken wire that makes the connection after the vibratio of starting - itt pulls open when the wires 'shrink' at night.

Bram is right, this is an issue with the radio or antenna, not the amplifier. Pretty sweet you got a new amp anyway. I would push them to replace the radio if this persists. This is something I've not heard of yet.

I too have this problem, but it wasn't just in the morning. I was thinking it was just mad at us for using the satellite radio for too long. If you get it fixed, I would love to know the solution!

Mine is starting to do it after it has sat for a bit as the days are getting colder. I've also had the radio stations randomly change and the auto-climate control default to another setting. It's going back in on Monday and I am going to push them to replace the 8.4N unit as there is something wrong right across the board. I'll right a post when I know what they have done to fix the problem.

Fortunately I haven't had a problem with the radio but have had the A/C temp. control go up from what I had it set on. This was the first sign that the battery was going to be dead the next morning. Once I had the TSB for the battery issue done I haven't had a problem with the climate control or the battery.

Update - had my Journey in for the 3rd time for the radio - the dealer thought it might have been a fuse and disconnected the battery to reset everything...big surprise...radio still not working this morning. I was instructed if it happened again that the dealer would finally order a new radio for it!

Edited by Woodsey

• Official Dodge Support

Update - had my Journey in for the 3rd time for the radio - the dealer thought it might have been a fuse and disconnected the battery to reset everything...big surprise...radio still not working this morning. I was instructed if it happened again that the dealer would finally order a new radio for it!

Woodsey,

Did the dealer flash the new amplifier? If not it may have same problem as the old amplifier which may not have needed to be switched, just flashed. Below is the TSB on this issue. Perhaps it applies to your vehicle. Below that is another TSB relating to a no sound/power condition. Listing both because I do not know your VIN.

NUMBER: 08-052-11

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: August 27, 2011

SUBJECT:

Flash: No Sound From Radio

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Amplifier with new software.

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built prior to July 8, 2011 (MDH 0708XX)

equipped with 368 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD6).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to LD, LX vehicles built prior to July 25, 2011 (MDH

0725XX) equipped with 276 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD7) or 506 Watt

Amplifier (sales code RFD).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may indicate that the audio system is muted or the audio does not play.

NUMBER: 08-048-11

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: August 06, 2011

SUBJECT:

RHA And REB Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHA or REB Radio.

MODELS:

2011 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to July 13, 2011 (MDH 0711XX)

equipped with UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3 CD/MP3 (sales code RHA) or

UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3S CD/MP3/SAT (sales code REB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· No display and no audio on radio.

· The driver's heated seat soft key is grayed out on the radio display.

· CD skips repeatedly while playing.

· CD jumps tracks after cranking the engine, turning the radio off and then on, and/or

after depressing the stop and then play soft key.

· In USB playback mode a blank screen, or the last displayed screen, is displayed

when the ABC soft key is pressed.

· An iPod Nano connected in USB mode may fail to play and/or the Pause and Play

keys are reversed on the radio display.

· Multiple instances of the same Sirius Game Zone entry may be displayed.

Edited by DodgeCares

The amp that was originally installed was part of a batch that Dodge was having problems with...though I don't think it was the cause of the issues I was having, chances were good that it was going to act up.

Update...my dealership has ordered a new 8.4N unit saying there is an internal issue not related to programing...I will make sure that they update the amp and radio when it installed.

I just got back from my dealer. Apparently their test showed my problem was related to the radio not having my VIN programmed in. They programmed it in and reset everything and it seems to be working.

They did not do the flashes listed above... They did do 2 RRTs though, 11-069 (PCM for long crank time) and 11-082 (BCM for the battery problems).

• Official Dodge Support

I just got back from my dealer. Apparently their test showed my problem was related to the radio not having my VIN programmed in. They programmed it in and reset everything and it seems to be working.

They did not do the flashes listed above... They did do 2 RRTs though, 11-069 (PCM for long crank time) and 11-082 (BCM for the battery problems).

ZMT,

I hope this solves your problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They replaced the "Radio / telematics gateway module", part number 5091134ZH. It was working when I left the dealership, we will have to see if it was the fix over time I guess (it's not super cold right now).

Edit: Days later and still working! :)

Edited by zmttoxics

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I had this problem with my 2011 Journey.

After several "unless we see it we don't believe it" responses (aka: loose nut behind the wheel), I finally managed to get it to the dealer while it was misbehaving. Since the problem was then finally verified, they started working on it. The car spent more time with the dealer than with me. I would get it back, and the next cold morning -- nada. The dealer finally replaced the radio with one that had almost the same serial number, and it did not fix the problem (surprise?). After that, they kept it for a week (and paid for the rental car). They finally replaced the radio a second time, and that seemed to fix it. It did however, break the IPOD features. I figured I could live without being able to control the IPOD from the screen, since I used it mainly on long trips and I was very tired of the dealership. However, it is now 13 months later, and this morning -- no AM/FM again. I think I need to get rid of this car. I can't go through another round of back and forth with the dealer.Too bad. Otherwise I like the car. But I need the radio for the traffic reports.