Uconnect updated and still ipod fails 8.4-2011 Crew

Hello,

This is my first post. I have read most and I haven't seen anything quite to suit my issue. If I would have seen half of these issues, I think I would have rethought buying this vehicle. I had the whole issue with the iPod not being recognized in the Uconnect and I was pissed! Brand new vehicle and the biggest perk for it doesn't even work? What? Time to research! I looked it up and found I wasn't the only one and it was a very common issue and on top of that, there was a fix. Update the software to the 2011 version and your good to go right? NOPE! It worked the first time after the update and then lost its mind once again! I don't have any of the other issues yet but it may be that I have only had the vehicle a week....more to come on those. I have an 60 gig iPod touch and plug it back up day two and it reverts back just like day one. Playing all my songs in alphabetical order...wait didn't I just fix this? Damn, OK so now what? I figured the update didn't stick or it reverted for some reason. Lets check, nope..its current. Next thing? Unplug the iPod, restart it, unplug the USB cord, play with that, cut the car off, cut it on, cut the radio on, cut it off, switch sources. Well nothing worked. I drove like 20 miles turned the car off and went inside of someones house. 4 hours later I come outside, now it works again. OK cool. Now the next day it shows USB device not read/error whatever it says. WTF! Now im pissed. I went through the same bs all over again, went to work and come home and as I park it starts to work. I have had this a week and am already ready to give the car back. There are much cheaper vehicles that have the same set up with iPod/USB playback and I don't see them having this issue. What did I pay for exactly? I thought there was a reason I stopped buying american cars and this isn't helping. I am so tempted to drop it back off at the salesman. I waited 4 months to get this shipped to me overseas and this is how they repay me? Someone please say there is an easy fix im missing.

OK, here's what I have experienced. . . Your Uconnect system will connect to your iPod every time. The Uconnect system needs about 30 seconds per gigabyte to do whatever it does. My 30 gig iPod takes about 12 minutes to initialize whenever I update it. If I do not update my iPod, the Uconnect system seems to recognize it right away, even when the iPod has been out of the vehicle. Not sure what the system does with my music files and such, but it seems to want to scan through my library before allowing me to browse. Weird. I would assume that yours would take up to 30 minutes to update. Mine starts playing Sound Garden when it initializes, so I just enjoy those songs until its ready. The iPod connectivity is the one weakness in the Uconnect system. All else works to my satisfaction, and it is lightning fast.

Here's how I view this whole thing. . . So the iPod doesn't work as smooth as butter, so what?!? I only use my iPod for long trips, and 12 minutes without my iPod is just fine. I use the snot out of my satellite radio. Absolutely love that!

If that's not how you choose to view this, then I would say your easiest answer is to utilize mp3 CDs which can hold a good amount of music or utilize your SD card reader slot. You can put up to 64 gigs of music on an SD card and never have to worry about connecting your iPod.

Acceptance is the first step. It gets easier. Once you know what to expect, hopefully you won't be so pissed. Your Journey is awesome. Yes, there are some quirks, but believe me, new technology is not all parties and happy parades in other cars either.

Even BMW and Mercedes dealers have service departments, and they are always full!

I'm sure dodge is aware of the problems and patient satisfaction issues with the iPod. Hopefully there will be further updates for the connectivity issue that you bring up.

Peace.

redtomatoman is correct. My iPhone has to "resync" with the 8.4n system every time I make any changes to the contents of the player. So, if I go in the house, plug into the computer, and add 1 song to the iPhone, then go back outside and put it in the Journey it will only play all songs in Alphabetical order with no playlists or other options until it completely resyncs. So, I have to listen to the A's for a while.

Common issue man, don't think there's anything actually wrong with yours. BTW, you can return your Journey, but the only other CUV on the market that has anything close to the 8.4 system is Ford Sync.

redtomatoman is correct. My iPhone has to "resync" with the 8.4n system every time I make any changes to the contents of the player. So, if I go in the house, plug into the computer, and add 1 song to the iPhone, then go back outside and put it in the Journey it will only play all songs in Alphabetical order with no playlists or other options until it completely resyncs. So, I have to listen to the A's for a while.

Common issue man, don't think there's anything actually wrong with yours. BTW, you can return your Journey, but the only other CUV on the market that has anything close to the 8.4 system is Ford Sync.

My experience with the Ford Sync system is that it is S L O W. It may or may not have the iPod initiation issue, but all other functions are stuck trying to swim through peanut butter rather than being lightning fast like Uconnect. Unless you are constantly messing around with your library, you should be ok.

Peace.

My experience with the Ford Sync system is that it is S L O W. It may or may not have the iPod initiation issue, but all other functions are stuck trying to swim through peanut butter rather than being lightning fast like Uconnect.

I second this opinion 100%. One guy I work with drives a new Ford Edge and the Ford Sync system is painfully slow. Once you've tried Uconnect, it doesn't even compare.

• 1 month later...

I don't mind having to "resync" after making changes to the iPod. But mine seems to be "resyncing" every time I turn the car off and back on. For the first 5 to 10 minutes of every drive it re-catalogs the iPod, which is already getting annoying and I'm only on my second day with it. Any idea how to make it stop doing that? Does this have anything to do with the "Music Info Cleanup" option under settings that you can turn on and off. I've tried turning that on and off, but it doesn't seem to change any behavior. Any idea what that's supposed to do?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Ford Focus 2012 with the myFord Touch.... believe me when I say the uConnect totally destroys it.

MFT reindexes/rebuilds my MP3's everytime I start the car

MFT forgets song/state it was last in everytime I start the car

With the MFT there is 1-2 second lag/delay between presses

Not to mention the horror story of 3 months after taking delivery trying to even get the damn system to a workable state.

The Journey is my wife's car, I am jealous of her... enough said.

Edited by Estoyloco