Carbon Build Up Issues ???

Tammy Flores

I have been trying to browse the forum as best as I can and so far I have not seen a comment of anyone having this issue. My Dodge Journey R/T 2010's engine is sick I think. It has only 44,000 KM's and is under warranty, but it's really acting up. At first I thought it was the transmission cause when I put my foot on the gas to accelerate, the whole car shakes and I feel it in the transmission when I let my foot of the gas. Also when I put my car on cruise control, the engine revs up into the red. This actually cause a very unsafe situation as I was on the highway when it happened and had to pull the vehicle over, turn of the car and start it up again. This happened several times.

The first dealership I went to said there was carbon build up and suggested it was because of the gas I was using. Of course I retorted back that there must be a defect if the manufacturers specs does not indicate that I have to use a higher grade Petroleum. Have any of you with an R/T 2010 have carbon build up and had to use a higher grade Petroleum?

They said that the engine was misfiring in cylinder 5 and they did a leak test, ect..., changed the spark plugs, coil, ect... and did a cleanse to get rid of the carbon build up. But as soon as I left the dealership, it was still shaking when I would accelerate. I won't get into the Customer Service issues I had at the first dealership, but that caused me not to have very much confidence in their ability to fix the problem when it was still happening.

So I took it to another dealership where they were more sympathetic to my plight. Just got a call today from them claiming that they are opening cylinder 5 up to clean manually cause there is carbon build up. How is this possible? There has to be another underlying problem. Has any of you experienced this issue?

• Official Dodge Support

Tammy,

If you want to PM me your VIN I will check for any service bulletins on this issue. I know there was a software update to the powertrain control module (PCM) on some of these vehicles. Your dealer should run your VIN for any software updates that may be available for your vehicle. While the symptoms you describe may not be directly stated in any of these bulletins, it could cause things like the buildup of carbon over time. If the dealer cannot rectify your problem, I suggest that you call the Customer Assistance Center in Canada to have an agent get a Chrysler tech involved. The Canadian Assistance Center's # 800-465-2001.

Tammy,

If you want to PM me your VIN I will check for any service bulletins on this issue. I know there was a software update to the powertrain control module (PCM) on some of these vehicles. Your dealer should run your VIN for any software updates that may be available for your vehicle. While the symptoms you describe may not be directly stated in any of these bulletins, it could cause things like the buildup of carbon over time. If the dealer cannot rectify your problem, I suggest that you call the Customer Assistance Center in Canada to have an agent get a Chrysler tech involved. The Canadian Assistance Center's # 800-465-2001.

Thanks so much. The did say they had to update the computer program, but because I don't have the paper work yet, as my car is still in the shop, I don't know exactly what it was for. I'll PM you the info.

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks so much. The did say they had to update the computer program, but because I don't have the paper work yet, as my car is still in the shop, I don't know exactly what it was for. I'll PM you the info.

Tammy,

I got your VIN and will send you what I find.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am having the exact same problem. I have a 2010 dodge journey with 46000 km. I have already had it into the dealership three times for this problem and they said I have carbon build up and it's causing my cylinders to misfire. They have cleaned the carbon out twice and it's in the shop for the third time to be cleaned out. What is causing this. Something else must be wrong but they won't seem to look at what is causing the build up.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi I am having the exact same problem. I have a 2010 dodge journey with 46000 km. I have already had it into the dealership three times for this problem and they said I have carbon build up and it's causing my cylinders to misfire. They have cleaned the carbon out twice and it's in the shop for the third time to be cleaned out. What is causing this. Something else must be wrong but they won't seem to look at what is causing the build up.

Allison,

If the dealer cannot solve this problem for you then I suggest you contact the Chrysler Canada Customer Assistance Center at 800-465-2001 and have them get involved like I suggested to Tammy above.

Edited by DodgeCares

• 5 months later...

I had this issue with my 2010 Journey RT last year. Carbon build up on the valves. They pulled both cylinder heads and had to do a valve job. No wear on the valves but the heads were carboned up. After this, the car has been running fine for a year. I was always using good mid grade gas, so it had nothing to do with the fuel I was using. The dealer said they had a couple vehicles like that. Once they saw one car with this issue, they recognised it on mine. Misfir on cylinder 5 was how they picked it up on the computer codes. If you have a carbon build up issue, pouring liquid cleaning solution into the gas tank and other half measures won't work. I too had a slight shudder going into 6th gear as I let my foot off gas. Mine was delivered in December 2009, so the new programming likely prevented this on newer models.

• 1 month later...

Well i have been told the same thing. 2010 Dodge journey SXT V6 They cleaned the throttle body, and did the software update, 3 days later same damn issues, car feels liek it wants to stall, they told me cylinder 5 is also misfiring and now they have had the car for 5 days, and still no word. Warranty is good till 160 000 km. Not at all impressed with this.

• 4 months later...

Hi Tammy

After they did a valve job on my car and cleanmed out the carbon and did the computer module reprogramming the engine has been fine. I have about 80 000 km on it now. You need a good honest mechanic to determine if its the carboning up of the valves, as its a very expensive fix.

Hope they get it solved for you.

My latest issue was a dead battery when I was travelling in the US. Fine one day, next day would not start - no warning. Fun was I was hauling a tent trailer. Lucky there was a battery on the tent trailer and I could jump start the car and drive to a dealer. Chrysler dealer admitted there was a flash update related to the battery, but mine was already dead at about 70 000 km. No warranty - Chrysler Canada Customer care said a wear and tear item. I wrote and outlined the problem, that there was a flash upgrade for that, but they would not admit fault. Disappointing when you loose a day and a half of your holidays.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...