K&N air filter for 2001 3.6?

Destination

I've checked a few online catalogs using a 2010 3.5 and a 2011 3.6 and there are two different part numbers for replacement filters. I don't know if the airbox dimensions were changed for the new motor. The lids are a bit different as the feed tube has a somewhat different entry point. The air box base I would think it would have been reused to save per unit cost (unless the new motor required more volume). With this said K&N lists P/N 33-2423 http://www.knfilters...ws.aspx?ID=2021 as a drop-in for the 2010 V6 Journey. I haven't had a chance to actually compare the 2010 and 2011 filters myself but I'm sure some on here may have.

As for a CAI that fits there's not one yet from any of the companies for the 2011 V6. The 2010 Avenger's 3.5 has one listed (K&N CAI P/N 69-2543TTK http://www.knfilters...Prod=69-2543TTK ). It looks like it would work with some modifications (one the snorkel entrance would have to be modified). I hope this helps more than confuses.

Edited by coolram62

I've checked a few online catalogs using a 2010 3.5 and a 2011 3.6 and there are two different part numbers for replacement filters. I don't know if the airbox dimensions were changed for the new motor. The lids are a bit different as the feed tube has a somewhat different entry point. The air box base I would think it would have been reused to save per unit cost (unless the new motor required more volume). With this said K&N lists P/N 33-2423 http://www.knfilters...ws.aspx?ID=2021 as a drop-in for the 2010 V6 Journey. I haven't had a chance to actually compare the 2010 and 2011 filters myself but I'm sure some on here may have.

As for a CAI that fits there's not one yet from any of the companies for the 2011 V6. The 2010 Avenger's 3.5 has one listed (K&N CAI P/N 69-2543TTK http://www.knfilters...Prod=69-2543TTK ). It looks like it would work with some modifications (one the snorkel entrance would have to be modified). I hope this helps more than confuses.

Just check the measurements on the factory filter vs. the K&N measurements. If they are the same i see no reason why it wouldn't work.

• 3 months later...

K&N finally updated their website, and there is a filter available for the 3.6 V6 now. It is a different p/n than for the 4 cyl so I'm glad I waited.

I ordered one yesterday, it was $49 including shipping.

i have been thinking of getting one but havent tried to get one yet, i put one in my 2001 truck hoping it would improve my gas mileage but it didnt help enough for me to notice any better milage but at least you dont have to replace them and can go longer between cleanings with them which on that truck it was kind of a pain to change the filter. please let us know how you like it and if you think it helps on you M.P.G. also if it increases the sound of the engine . thanks p.s. the only thing i ever tried for better m.p. g. was switching to syn oil gained about 1 mpg and went alot longer between changes and have been using syn. for at least 15yrs. i even use it my push lawn mower and never have to add any and that mower is still going strong for at least 10 yrs now ( AND YES I KNOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE 30 WEIGHT OIL IN MOWERS, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD TRY IT AND CHANGE IT EVERY YEAR. SO FAR SO GOOD)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I notice no difference with the filter. No change in sound. No change in mpg. So basically I have a lifetime air filter that I can clean.

Nothing at all???? I had been contemplating getting a whole new system but that is disheartening. I was thinking of getting an Avenger box and typhoon air intake system and adapting it to a Journey. Can others comment on this!

BTW, my car is a 2010 AWD R/T with a 3.5l engine.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

i was checking the internet on the k-n airfilter and seen a story on how an independent lab did a test comparing regular paper filters and k-n filters and the reg filters act came out better than the k-n did.the k-n let more small particals of grit thur than the reg filters did and they also didnt improve performance amd mpg enough that a you would notice in real life trials. as i have had one experince with k-n in my 2001 dodge truck that i didnt notice any improvment in horse power or mpg,but at least i didnt have to clean it that often either, < which by the way is a pain as you have to wash them out and then let them dry anf then buy the special oil to reoil them with which isnt cheap, whole process takes a couple of hours to get it dry and put back in> so i paid about $35. for the filter and about $10. for the oil and i have 90k miles on the truck so i probaly could have bought reg air filters cheaper than the k-n... LOL oh well in hind sight . i wont be trying any k-n filter in my journey after all if it really helped out with better mpg or power dont you think chrysler would have put them in to help on their mandated mpg average.www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Edited by 2late4u

• 2 months later...

2late4u your way off on the k&n filter. im not saying it will give the power or mpg increases it claims but the cost of a one time lifetime k&n purchase(or any reusable one) really over powers the cost of paper filter replacement over the years!! if you change them as recomended its paid for quickly and if it really does what it claims its an even bigger bonus. as for the process your doing to change it thats unreasonable. wash it with soap and water and a scrub brush then spritz it with tranny oil(same viscosity) and the oil displaces the water. you can put it right back in the vehicle immediatly and drive away!! very cost effective if your going to be keeping it for a few years

Its a HUGE misconseption that K&N, etc will give you a mileage increase. On any vehicle that has an O2 sensor, the mixture is always being trimmed, so A/F restriction is a non issue. Power can be effected, but the filter has to be quite dirty for that to happen, and only than at WOT. I also don't like the small particles the aftermarket filters let through. There was a good test online, I'll see if I can find it. I have seen alot of hurt Cummins on our trucks from poor aftermarket filters being added, and the engines being "dusted".