Journey R/T 2011 radio sound problem

Hello, I have aJourney R/T 2011 with the Alpine sound system, Monday after work I starter thecar when the radio didn’t have any music, I see reading my IPod but no soundand my Uconnect bleutooth, voice controland GPS have no sound. It’s like if the amplifier was off. Do one of you hadthis problem??

Hello, I have aJourney R/T 2011 with the Alpine sound system, Monday after work I starter thecar when the radio didn’t have any music, I see reading my IPod but no soundand my Uconnect bleutooth, voice controland GPS have no sound. It’s like if the amplifier was off. Do one of you hadthis problem??

I have the same problem, nothing in the manual to help, going back to the dealership. If you find out how to fix please let me know

Thanks

I have the same problem, nothing in the manual to help, going back to the dealership. If you find out how to fix please let me know

Thanks

I've had the same problem - THREE times. The dealer has replaced the amplifier twice, and it just blew again today. Dealer's solution is to keep putting more amps in..hoping we can figure something else out.

I lost all sound last wednesday evening. Car is going into the shop tomorrow afternoon to have it looked at. Will post an update when I find something out.

Well I took the car to the dealer today, they need to replace the amp, and is no order. They just called and said I should have it back tomorrow. Glad I have the gold service plan as they brought a rental car to me at the dealer...free of charge, which was a nice surprise.

I bought the 2011 Journey Crew AWD three months ago and just today the same problem you are experiecing happened to me. Dealer says to bring it in tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I called Alpinedirectly and they told me that there are working on this issue, the software inthe amp as a bug, there are trying to come up with an upgrade. They did saywhen but I now that you’ll aft to go to the dealer. For now! If that problemappends again just unplug 1 minute and re-plug the main wire of the amp. It’s locatedunder the passage seat on the left.

There is a TSB out on this for a Rapid Response repair. It's code RT 11-066. The fix is to replace the amp. When I had mine in for an oil change the dealer just went and ordered the new amp. Took a couple weeks to come in and then I brought the car back and they swapped the part. I hadn't even had any problems - they just did it as a preventative measure since there is a TSB.

THIS SERVICE BULLETIN IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS RAPID RESPONSE

TRANSMITTAL (RRT) 11-066. ALL APPLICABLE UN-SOLD RRT VIN's HAVE BEEN LOADED. TO VERIFY THAT THIS RRT SERVICE ACTION IS APPLICABLE TO THE UN-SOLD VEHICLE, USE VIP OR PERFORM A VIN SEARCH IN TECHCONNECT. FOR VEHICLES NOT INCLUDED IN THE RRT VIN LIST, APPLICATION OF THIS SERVICE BULLETIN TO SOLD UNITS IS BASED UPON THE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCING THE SYMPTOM/CONDITIONS. ALL REPAIRS ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF WARRANTY.

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 08-018-11, DATED APRIL 21, 2011, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE MODIFICATIONS TO ADDRESS AMPLIFIERS THAT DO NOT REPORT THEIR SERIAL NUMBER.

SUBJECT:

Static, Squeal, No Sound, Or Intermittent Sound From Speakers

OVERVIEW:

This Bulletin involves removing and replacing the amplifier.

MODELS:

2010 - 2011 (DS) 1500 Pickup

2010 - 2011 (DJ) 2500 Pickup

2010 - 2011 (D2) 3500 Pickup

2011 (JC) Journey

2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee

2011 (WD) Durango

NOTE: This bulletin applies to DS, DJ, D2 vehicles built between July 15, 2010 (MDH 0715XX) and November 30, 2010 (MDH 1130XX) equipped with 9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer (sales code RC3) or 9 Amplified Speakers (sales code RCZ).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to DS, DJ, D2 vehicles built between July 15, 2010 (MDH 0715XX) and February 28, 2011 (MDH 0228XX) equipped with Premium I Speakers (sales code RCK).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built between November 15, 2010 (MDH 1115XX) and January 24, 2011 (MDH 1124XX) equipped with 6 Premium Speakers w/Subwoofer (sales code RC9).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience the following in all radios modes (AM/FM/CD):

· Static, crackling, or squealing sound from speakers.

· No sound, or intermittent sound.

DIAGNOSIS:

There will be no diagnostic codes set with this condition.

NOTE: Special scripts have been added to wiTECH to report the Amplifier serial number. These scripts are made available in the same manner as a service flash update and will appear as a lighting bolt through the module (Amplifier).

When these scripts are executed, by double clicking on the module, a popup window will appear displaying the installed Amplifier's serial number, if it is readable by the tool.

1. Using wiTECH determine the amplifier's serial number. From the serial number, if displayed, determine and write down the date and sequence code of the amplifier.

2. **Was the amplifier serial number properly displayed by wiTECH ()

a. YES >>> Proceed to Step #3.

b. NO >>>> Perform the Repair Proceedure.

3. Are the amplifier date and sequence codes within one of the applicable 'Affected Date Code Ranges' from the Table below?

a. YES >>> Perform the Repair Procedure.

b. NO >>>> This service bulletin does not apply. Further diagnostics may be required.

If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. For all other customers that describe the symptom/condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

Date Code Identification Table

Vehicle Part No. Affected Date Code Ranges

JC (8 Channel Amplifier) 05064947A* 2580J0693 through 2580J3092

2680J3093 through 3020J1893

DS/DJ/D2 (8 Channel Amplifier)

05064417A* 1870E4941 through 2490E5840

2610E6340 through 2990E6526

WK / WD (12 Channel Amplifier)

05064533A* 1830E6010 through 1950E6410

1990E8411 through 2020E4811

2110E2812 through 2110E7812

2230E4813 through 2230E7412

2250E2363 through 2380E2914

2490E2665 through 2490E8665

2530E2666 through 2530E6665

DS/DJ/D2 (12 Channel Amplifier)

05064418A* 1750E4010 through 1960E8410

2010E1112 through 2010E2111

2040E4812 through 2980E7811

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

1(AR) 05064533AJ Amplifier (WK / WD 12 Channel)

1(AR) 05064418AL Amplifier (DS/DJ/D2 12 Channel)

1(AR) 05064417AI Amplifier (D Truck 8 Channel)

1(AR) 05064947AH Amplifier (JC 8 Channel)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the Amplifier. Refer to the procedures available in DealerConnect /

TechCONNECT> Group 08 - Electrical> 8A - Audio and Video> AMPLIFIER> Removal

2. Replace the amplifier

3. Install the Amplifier. Refer to the procedures available in DealerConnect /

TechCONNECT> Group 08 - Electrical> 8A - Audio and Video> AMPLIFIER> Installation.

NOTE: The serial number of the Amplifier removed from the vehicle must be recorded in the warranty claim narrative for warranty reimbursement.

POLICY:

Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No:

Description Amount

08-60-07-99 Amplifier, Inspect Date Code © 0.2 Hrs.

08-60-07-9A Amplifier, Inspect & Replace - DS/DJ/D2 © 0.5 Hrs.

08-60-07-9B Amplifier, Inspect & Replace- WK / WD © 1.0 Hrs.

08-60-07-9C Amplifier, Inspect & Replace- JC © 0.3 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:

ZZ Service Action

Edited by Powdered Toast Man

Hi,

I have had my 2011 Journey R/T for just a month. Yesterday, the sound went out, radio and uconnect . I called the dealership and dropped it off to them today. Hopefully I will hear back from them shortly. I will let the forum know what they say.

Thanks

Edited by nfgolfnut

My journey has no sound first thing in the morning...but after restarting once or twice the sound comes back on...could this be the cause of the issues I am having? I had it in this week and the performed a flash update they said would solve it but still having issues...it's going back in Monday!

• Official Dodge Support

Hi,

I have had my 2011 Journey R/T for just a month. Yesterday, the sound went out, radio and uconnect . I called the dealership and dropped it off to them today. Hopefully I will hear back from them shortly. I will let the forum know what they say.

Thanks

Golf,

This TSB was issued for a no sound condition. Perhaps it is the problem you are having. If the dealer cannot find the problem maybe you may want to bring this to their attention.

NUMBER: 08-052-11

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: August 27, 2011

SUBJECT:

Flash: No Sound From Radio

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Amplifier with new software.

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built prior to July 8, 2011 (MDH 0708XX)

equipped with 368 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD6).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to LD, LX vehicles built prior to July 25, 2011 (MDH

0725XX) equipped with 276 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD7) or 506 Watt

Amplifier (sales code RFD).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may indicate that the audio system is muted or the audio does not play.

Edited by DodgeCares

Golf,

This TSB was issued for a no sound condition. Perhaps it is the problem you are having. If the dealer cannot find the problem maybe you may want to bring this to their attention.

NUMBER: 08-052-11

DATE: August 27, 2011

SUBJECT:

Flash: No Sound From Radio

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Amplifier with new software.

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built prior to July 8, 2011 (MDH 0708XX)

equipped with 368 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD6).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to LD, LX vehicles built prior to July 25, 2011 (MDH

0725XX) equipped with 276 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD7) or 506 Watt

Amplifier (sales code RFD).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may indicate that the audio system is muted or the audio does not play.

Hi,

I got the Journey back late on Friday. They did flash the amp and the sound came back. The work order that they gave me listed the TSB you mentioned. They also did applied another but I don't have the number with me today.

Thanks

Edited by nfgolfnut

Hello!

I called Alpinedirectly and they told me that there are working on this issue, the software inthe amp as a bug, there are trying to come up with an upgrade. They did saywhen but I now that you’ll aft to go to the dealer. For now! If that problemappends again just unplug 1 minute and re-plug the main wire of the amp. It’s locatedunder the passage seat on the left.

Same thing happened to my 2011 R/T this weekend....no sound at all...no chimes, beeps, anything! Unplugged and replugged the power to the amp....Bingo!! Came right back on..Will make an appointment to have the dealer follow the TSB instructions next time I am in for an oil change. Can a bigger powered amp be used as a replacement??

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

hi i had the same problem three times...finally they downloaded a new progrmme code into the computer moduel and the problem now is fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i had the same problem three times...finally they downloaded a new progrmme code into the computer moduel and the problem now is fixed.

Hello,

I have a french version of Journey (SXT not RT) bought in 2008 and I face a problem which seems to be close to your problem. My dealer made an upgrade of my sound system (DVD pack) everything was ok, but some days ago I turn on the car and lose the radio sound BUT only radio (BT ok, DVD ok, HD ok...). Do you think it can be the same root cause as on the RT version (ampli)?

Can someone tell me what's the colour of the connector because I have several ones under the passenger seat (hoping US and FR version are the same). But not sure it can solve my issue as I already unplugged the car battery without success?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have been following this post because I have the problem with no AM/FM radio in the morning with my 2011 Journey. We've had a pretty mild winter and until recently the morning temperatures have not been below 25F or so.

My car was in for service for the dead battery issue, and it may actually now be fixed. The dealer in total applied three software fixes and replaced the amp on the radio because apparently all of these came up when he put in my VIN (one of the fixes was supposed to fix the dead battery). The next cold morning, I found that I have satellite radio only -- no AM/FM. Took it back to the dealer, but got a "no problem found" -- the night temp did not drop below 32F. I made an appointment to bring it back next week, since we have a forecast for some cold nights.

Same thing with mine. No AM/FM but had sound from satelite, CD, and bluetooth. Shut the car off and restart, and sound would come on.The dealer thought no power going to the antenna. Antenna tested good. They had all kinds of equipment hooked up to the radio for two days. They had to prove the radio was bad before Dodge would replace it. They currently have a new radio on order from Dodge.

• Official Dodge Support

I have been following this post because I have the problem with no AM/FM radio in the morning with my 2011 Journey. We've had a pretty mild winter and until recently the morning temperatures have not been below 25F or so.

My car was in for service for the dead battery issue, and it may actually now be fixed. The dealer in total applied three software fixes and replaced the amp on the radio because apparently all of these came up when he put in my VIN (one of the fixes was supposed to fix the dead battery). The next cold morning, I found that I have satellite radio only -- no AM/FM. Took it back to the dealer, but got a "no problem found" -- the night temp did not drop below 32F. I made an appointment to bring it back next week, since we have a forecast for some cold nights.

Five,

Did they rule this TSB out? It says it can happen in all radio modes but doesn't always happen in all modes (am/fm/sat) at the same time. This specifically says no codes will be found.

NUMBER: 08-018-11 REV. A

DATE: July 01, 2011

SUBJECT:

Static, Squeal, No Sound, Or Intermittent Sound From Speakers

OVERVIEW:

This Bulletin involves removing and replacing the amplifier.

MODELS:

2010 - 2011 (DS) 1500 Pickup

2010 - 2011 (DJ) 2500 Pickup

2010 - 2011 (D2) 3500 Pickup

2011 (JC) Journey

2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee

2011 (WD) Durango

NOTE: This bulletin applies to DS, DJ, D2 vehicles built between July 15, 2010 (MDH

0715XX) and November 30, 2010 (MDH 1130XX) equipped with 9 Amplified

Speakers w/Subwoofer (sales code RC3) or 9 Amplified Speakers (sales code

RCZ).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to DS, DJ, D2 vehicles built between July 15, 2010 (MDH

0715XX) and February 28, 2011 (MDH 0228XX) equipped with Premium I

Speakers (sales code RCK).

NUMBER: 08-018-11 REV. A

DATE: July 01, 2011

NOTE: This bulletin applies to WK, WD vehicles built between July 15, 2010 (MDH

0715XX) and November 29, 2010 (MDH 1129XX) equipped with 9 Amplified

Speakers w/Subwoofer (sales code RC3).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built between November 15, 2010 (MDH

1115XX) and January 24, 2011 (MDH 1124XX) equipped with 6 Premium

Speakers w/Subwoofer (sales code RC9).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience the following in all radios modes (AM/FM/CD):

· Static, crackling, or squealing sound from speakers.

· No sound, or intermittent sound.

DIAGNOSIS:

There will be no diagnostic codes set with this condition.

NOTE: Special scripts have been added to wiTECH to report the Amplifier serial

number. These scripts are made available in the same manner as a service

flash update and will appear as a lighting bolt through the module (Amplifier).

When these scripts are executed, by double clicking on the module, a popup

window will appear displaying the installed Amplifier's serial number **if it is

readable by the tool (Fig. 1).**

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Dodgecares.

I wound up cancelling my appointment, since the advisor said they will not look at it unless the radio is acting up when I bring it in. The problem is intermittant and was NOT happening on the day of my appointment. Of course, it happened again right after that. And I just have not been able to get over to the dealer when it does happen. It does not help that after 20 minutes or so the FM comes on. The dealer is 15 minutes from my house, and unless the advisor will hotfoot it out to my (still running) vehicle, it is unlikely it will STILL be not working when he gets there (sigh).

Like another poster said, I tried restarting the car, and that usually works. But I don't think that is a viable long-term solution.

I will ask the dealer to check the bulletin you mentioned. Of course, that means taking ANOTHER day off from work....

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks Dodgecares.

I wound up cancelling my appointment, since the advisor said they will not look at it unless the radio is acting up when I bring it in. The problem is intermittant and was NOT happening on the day of my appointment. Of course, it happened again right after that. And I just have not been able to get over to the dealer when it does happen. It does not help that after 20 minutes or so the FM comes on. The dealer is 15 minutes from my house, and unless the advisor will hotfoot it out to my (still running) vehicle, it is unlikely it will STILL be not working when he gets there (sigh).

Like another poster said, I tried restarting the car, and that usually works. But I don't think that is a viable long-term solution.

I will ask the dealer to check the bulletin you mentioned. Of course, that means taking ANOTHER day off from work....

Five,

My suggestion would be to drop it off at night at your convenience and have them give you a rental. When they look at it in the morning it will be cold and hopefully they can duplicate the problem. If they will not give you a courtesy rental for a re-occuring problem then call the Customer Assistance Center and tell them you need one due to your work circumstances.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada