Radio and air controls

Just bought a 2011 Dodge Journey to replace our 2004 GMC Yukon XL that was destroyed in the April 27th Tornado in Alabama. Bought the Journey to get a little smaller vehicle with better gas mileage. Got the 2.4L and the mileage is only slightly better than the Yukon. We have had the vehicle 2 weeks and it has been in the shop twice for the same problem. The radio and air control screen has gone out and the heater comes on blowing hot air. Wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't 101degrees in Alabama at the time. The little information center between the gauges switched from English to German when the radio screen went out. Anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause of the problem because the dealership is puzzled.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a 2011 Dodge Journey to replace our 2004 GMC Yukon XL that was destroyed in the April 27th Tornado in Alabama. Bought the Journey to get a little smaller vehicle with better gas mileage. Got the 2.4L and the mileage is only slightly better than the Yukon. We have had the vehicle 2 weeks and it has been in the shop twice for the same problem. The radio and air control screen has gone out and the heater comes on blowing hot air. Wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't 101degrees in Alabama at the time. The little information center between the gauges switched from English to German when the radio screen went out. Anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause of the problem because the dealership is puzzled.

I've had my Journey for 1 week today and it has less than 600 miles on it. I have had the exact same thing happen to me THREE times now! At first, I thought maybe I blew a fuse, so I pulled out my manual to see the fuse block diagram, only to find out that the manual's diagram looked NOTHING like what I actually have under the hood :banghead: . Well, fortunately, there is a way to unplug the entire fuse block, though it is technically called something else (but I am drawing a blank right now). I messed around with it for a few minutes, got the whole block unseated, then I reseated the block to see if that would work. Lo and behold, it did! When I got back into the vehicle, the info center was back to English and my radio and climate control were working again! Unfortunately, as I stated before, this has happened THREE times to me in the past week. I will be taking the vehicle back to the dealer later today (just got back from a 6 day vacation) to have them fix this mess.

I hope this helps!

Update - The dealer couldn't replicate the problem and told me to bring it in while the display is in German so they can run diagnostics at that point. However, since my last post, I haven't had the problem again (1 week and 500 miles since last problem). I am not 100% sure this was the cause, but resetting the fuse block seemed to have worked for me.

I'm right there with you. I just picked mine back up from the stealership just now to have 5 things fixed, and as far as I know, none were fixed, either because they couldn't replicate the problem, or just don't know how. I'm also having an air problem. It "resets" itself sometimes. But anyways, of course, since it only does it occasionally, it sure ain't going to do it when the technicians have it. Just my luck. So, they flashed it with some little tsb's and said that will fix it. We will see.......

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm curious to know if this went any further?? I bought my journey a few months back, and the dealership has now had it for over 1 mnth because the radio won't turn off when I get out of the car...was told it was a module, new module came in - and when it did - it caused other issues but didn't resolve the radio issue (???) so they kept my car :(...apparently they are on build 3 of this module with no clear end in sight. Got a call today that the next new part arrived - but did not resolve the problem - dealership told me to come get my car (with the radio staying on about 45 mins AFTER you get out of the car)....Kind of wondering how THAT is my warranty working for me? Would love to hear if I am the only one....Did also have the 'German' issue (only once) about 2 mths prior to this radio problem but I was the only one in the car at the time....the touch screen froze up so couldn't turn car on or off or do anything and just about died (was SURE I didn't touch anything wrong!) glad to read I wasn't the only one with THAT problem!.....

First thing the dealer ,as you already know, is not being very helpful. I would contact the Dodge/Chrysler Regional office with the amount and length of the issues. Since your Journey has spent so much time are they providing a rental? A question on the radio does it turn off if you use the radio hard key (push button in the center of the rotary control). This does sound like a software issue and you should send a message to a member on here DodgeCares. They are a very helpful customer service. And I've had my radio/HVAC settings go to default after she had sat for several days due to sickness. It's only done it this one time but if it repeats I will go to the dealer.

John_s the underhood fuse box is called power distribution center. The in cabin fuse box is located on the passenger side behind the glovebox. If you look under the dash on the far right side you'll see an access hole and the cover for the fuse box.

First thing the dealer ,as you already know, is not being very helpful. I would contact the Dodge/Chrysler Regional office with the amount and length of the issues. Since your Journey has spent so much time are they providing a rental? A question on the radio does it turn off if you use the radio hard key (push button in the center of the rotary control). This does sound like a software issue and you should send a message to a member on here DodgeCares. They are a very helpful customer service. And I've had my radio/HVAC settings go to default after she had sat for several days due to sickness. It's only done it this one time but if it repeats I will go to the dealer.

John_s the underhood fuse box is called power distribution center. The in cabin fuse box is located on the passenger side behind the glovebox. If you look under the dash on the far right side you'll see an access hole and the cover for the fuse box.

The dealer, is useless. They sent us home with the car (yes, we did have a rental at their expense) and said that is their policy and 'let Chrysler deal with it' - so after 31 days at the dealer we get the car back - in the same shape it arrived in - same problem. They claim it is 'road safe' altho I'm concerned it might short out or something. Now, one of my keys doesn't work (I haven't had time to check to see if I am able to reset it or if the dealer has to) and haven't even had it for 24 hrs and it's pretty cold here and my windows had condensation all over them - so my kids took to putting the windows down to clear them - guess what - now they won't go back up. It's -4 here and 8pm at night and now I have nowhere to secure my car. Do you want to ask me if I'm furious? (it's bad enough when I got it from the dealership it wasn't even put back together properly and loose pieces and bolts and screws were strewn thru the car - CHOKED is not a strong enough word). An entire month they had it and they didn't even clean up behind themselves.

Will have to try dodgecares..thanks.

• Official Dodge Support

The dealer, is useless. They sent us home with the car (yes, we did have a rental at their expense) and said that is their policy and 'let Chrysler deal with it' - so after 31 days at the dealer we get the car back - in the same shape it arrived in - same problem. They claim it is 'road safe' altho I'm concerned it might short out or something. Now, one of my keys doesn't work (I haven't had time to check to see if I am able to reset it or if the dealer has to) and haven't even had it for 24 hrs and it's pretty cold here and my windows had condensation all over them - so my kids took to putting the windows down to clear them - guess what - now they won't go back up. It's -4 here and 8pm at night and now I have nowhere to secure my car. Do you want to ask me if I'm furious? (it's bad enough when I got it from the dealership it wasn't even put back together properly and loose pieces and bolts and screws were strewn thru the car - CHOKED is not a strong enough word). An entire month they had it and they didn't even clean up behind themselves.

Will have to try dodgecares..thanks.

Takin5,

You need to contact Chrysler directly at 800-465-2001 and let them know what is happening with the dealership. They will get a Chrysler tech involved to solve your issues and I would suspect they may send you to a different dealer if there is one in your area. No reason for any of this shoddy work to be given back to you.