First week impressions

Geer

So its been one week and 450km. All in all, I love this R/T. It blows away the '07 Equinox it replaced. Very pleased at the moment.

What I like/love:

• I feel like I'm driving a vehicle that I should have paid at least 40k+ for. Appearance, interior, performance all gets a nod.
  • I also feel as though I'm driving a vehicle much bigger than it actually is - I think its spatial perception with the large dash.
  • The cabin is very quiet.
  • The 3.6 is as smooth as silk, but when you punch the gas, it's all business. I really notice the mid to upper range performance, you can feel the ponies underfoot once the tach goes beyond 3,000 rpm - power keeps pouring on.
  • Tight ride and handling. Nice road feel, even with the 19" wheels and low profile tires.
  • The AWD is seamless, unnoticeable (except for the enhanced traction which is very apparent on wet roads)
  • The interior is awesome, through and through. VERY confortabe seats. The dash is gorgeous.
  • The 8.4N is kick-ass. Screen size, layout, response, bells and whistles - I can't get over how slick this unit is. The Garmin Nav is fine.
  • LED taillamps at night are very cool. So is the LED lighting throughout the cabin.
  • The keyless enter 'n go is soooo convenient (but it's taken me a week to get used to not using a key. I'm habitually taking the key fob out of my pocket, despite the fact there's no need to).

Little annoyances (not issues really, so much as observations):

• I find the sill height quite high when exiting the vehicle, higher than the Equinox.
  • For its decent size, it's a bit short on legroom in the back. Thank the engineering for the 3rd row seat platform (even w/ a 5-seater) - that's the compromise.
  • No skid runner on the rear fascia beneath the tailgate. Seriously - that's an oversight!
  • At times, the transmission slow to react or requires heavy throttle for downshift. Seems to have improved over the week - perhaps it has adaptive programming?
  • Brakes feel somewhat underpowered. I read this in a media review as well. They feel undersized, as opposed to it being pedal feel (travel/ pressure point) IMO.

It's just a week in, but so far I'm very pleased. The R/T is a great package and for the price, the equipment list just can't be beat.

I hope the sentiment continues!

Edited by Geer

I wonder if getting box liner sprayed on the bumper would work?

Hey - that's a good idea actually. Worth checking into, 'cause its only a matter of time...

One other little thing I'm not crazy about - the "back" of the steering wheel doesn't have contoured finger grips. With the leather wrap, its slippery. An overlooked safety item IMO!

Hey mainmango, haven't you taken delivery yet? I thought your Journey had made it in already?

i was supposed to take delivery over 2 weeks ago. the dealership has got the journey. it's just that there's a problem with it they're fixing and they haven't told me what the problem is, they said they'll call me when it's ready to pick up. i will definetly find out what the problem was after i pick it up.

i was supposed to take delivery over 2 weeks ago. the dealership has got the journey. it's just that there's a problem with it they're fixing and they haven't told me what the problem is, they said they'll call me when it's ready to pick up. i will definetly find out what the problem was after i pick it up.

If it was me, I'd have to go to the dealership to find out what the hell is wrong with my brand new vehicle!! You have impressive patience!

If it was me, I'd have to go to the dealership to find out what the hell is wrong with my brand new vehicle!! You have impressive patience!

I agree, I'd demand to find out or threaten to refuse the vehicle. If they can't be forthcoming, I would not have any confidence in the car you're buying. Its a big purchase, you gotta protect yourself IMO.

Hope it works out for you!

I agree, I'd demand to find out or threaten to refuse the vehicle. If they can't be forthcoming, I would not have any confidence in the car you're buying. Its a big purchase, you gotta protect yourself IMO.

Hope it works out for you!

ha ha guys, if i was buying this vehicle, then i would walk down to the dealership in a second. this is actually going to be our family vehicle but i will be driving this more than the charger(this is leased vehicle, charger is actually bought, why put miles on our own car).

My dad is a chrysler employee and this journey is his company lease or corporate lease, dad pays a certain amount each month and there is unlimited mileage, free service from the company(oil changes tire rotations etc.) also there is $0 deductible if there is an accident and everything is covered, so all we pay for is the gas and the monthly payment. my dad is turning in his 2010 dodge journey 2.4(also company lease) for this journey.

My dad is the main driver for this vehicle, but when i need it, i drive it over the charger cause it's a company lease. now i'm excited to see all the changes and such to the 2011, cause i know what the 2010 was like.

right now my dad is not in a hurry for this vehicle, he has other company vehicles he drives for testing.

and my sister also works for chrysler, and she has 2011 dodge charger rallye as her company lease. so i drive that sometimes too, and do i have to say is it fun. same 3.6 as journey but i suspect the charger engine is a bit peppier and it feels great.

why complain when we have these to drive. (billet metallic charger is company tester and white charger is my sister's company lease.)

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Love the pics and the cars, mainmango.

You'll have to compare the Charger 3.6 to the Journey 3.6. They're the same engine, of course, but the Charger's intake is supposed to be better tuned, with something like 15 more hp to show for it. I would love to see a side-by-side picture comparison!

:)

Love the pics and the cars, mainmango.

You'll have to compare the Charger 3.6 to the Journey 3.6. They're the same engine, of course, but the Charger's intake is supposed to be better tuned, with something like 15 more hp to show for it. I would love to see a side-by-side picture comparison!

:)

actually, it's only a 9 hp difference, charger rated 292 and journey at 283. the torque numbers are the same though at 260. yet the journey is bit lighter than the charger. and if you use the 0-60 equation on the journey and charger.

0-60 time = curb weight / (1.98 X bhp)

this is equation is far from exact on 0-60 times, but it's pretty close.

when plugging in the hp numbers for charger and journey in this equation, the journey comes out a bit faster. but in real life the charger is faster in the 0-60 in journey by .25-.5 seconds.

oh yea and about the pics, i always take tons of pics of cars and will make sure you guys see the engine bays, and the chargers and journey together.

Mainmango-

Your stable of Chargers is awesome! Great pics. My dealer had an '11 Charger on display - what a nice machine. Then the other night I saw one on the road, the taillamps are wicked. Chrysler has always been top-notch with their styling and equipment, IMO.

actually, it's only a 9 hp difference, charger rated 292 and journey at 283. the torque numbers are the same though at 260. yet the journey is bit lighter than the charger. and if you use the 0-60 equation on the journey and charger.

0-60 time = curb weight / (1.98 X bhp)

this is equation is far from exact on 0-60 times, but it's pretty close.

when plugging in the hp numbers for charger and journey in this equation, the journey comes out a bit faster. but in real life the charger is faster in the 0-60 in journey by .25-.5 seconds.

oh yea and about the pics, i always take tons of pics of cars and will make sure you guys see the engine bays, and the chargers and journey together.

Ahh, 9 hp. I knew it was something like that. ;)

I wonder if the Charger turns out a bit faster due to less drag?

I can see you're a picture guy! :lol: Great pics, by the way. Looking forward to the comparisons.

wrong!!!!!!!!!!

So what about this:

"Despite the four variants of the 3.6 already being sold — rear drive (290 hp), AWD (292 hp), FWD (283 hp), and Challenger (305 hp), there are just two head designs, two intake manifolds, and one set of internal components, including cam and pistons, according to an SAE article by Paul Weissler. The Challenger's 13 horsepower increase is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s."

And the referenced article written by Paul Weissler can be found here. I have a 2011 AWD so is it 283 or 292?

So what about this:

"Despite the four variants of the 3.6 already being sold — rear drive (290 hp), AWD (292 hp), FWD (283 hp), and Challenger (305 hp), there are just two head designs, two intake manifolds, and one set of internal components, including cam and pistons, according to an SAE article by Paul Weissler. The Challenger's 13 horsepower increase is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s."

And the referenced article written by Paul Weissler can be found here. I have a 2011 AWD so is it 283 or 292?

trust me man, they would not create two different hp outputs for the same engine. if you have the same intake manifold as the rest of the journeys, then you have 283, if you have the charger one or the jeep grand cherokee one that's another story, but i doubt it.

Mainmango-

LOVE the Charger picts!! I owned a 2007 which I loved! I have to say it was one of the most comfortable cars I have owned...other than my Journey now of course! LOL

When looking at the Journey we also test drove a 2011 white Charger with what I call peanut butter brown leather interior...very, very sweet ride!! Hubby didn't care for it but I loved it! :wub:

Can't wait to see picts of your Journey when it comes in....I have not seen any mango tango ones yet!

Mainmango-

LOVE the Charger picts!! I owned a 2007 which I loved! I have to say it was one of the most comfortable cars I have owned...other than my Journey now of course! LOL

When looking at the Journey we also test drove a 2011 white Charger with what I call peanut butter brown leather interior...very, very sweet ride!! Hubby didn't care for it but I loved it! :wub:

Can't wait to see picts of your Journey when it comes in....I have not seen any mango tango ones yet!

thanks man, really appreciate it. yea i love the 2011, chrylser hit the nail on the head with it, but i also love my torred for it's comfort and it's look of course too.

and don't worry, you won't forget what a mango tango journey looks like after i'm done posting pics, and i'm serious. :camera: