3.6 poor Idle

Newdodge

Hello everyone, I just joined this forum and was wondering if anybody has any isues with the 2011 Dodge Journey 3.6 at idle.

Just picked up a 2011 black RT this week and notice at idle the engine will stumble a little, the Journey I test drove ran smooth at idle.

Good to hear that your issue is solved!

I'm going to ask my dealer about any updates available for the engine and transmission when I take mine in for it's first oil change at 5000 Kms. My transmission is pretty hard shifting in some gears, especially when coming to a stop. There is a noticeable thunk when going from 4th to 3rd. I find that it just generally is not smooth shifting at all.

Took the Journey to the dealer today, they were a little puzzled at first (not sure what was wrong ) and than they discovered a new Software update that just came out for the 3.6. installed it and presto Journey runs great.

Good to know there is a software update out already, when I go for my first oil change next month (around the 5000 km mark as well) I'll ask for the same thing.

It's too bad that chrysler doesn't notify all customers about software updates. Should the first oil change be done at 5000 km, Thought it was like 10,000 or more.

Personally, I never let my vehicles go over 5,000 KM. I think that the manufacturers try to stretch the service intervals so that they can advertise a lower cost of ownership. When we do oil changes in our garage, the people that wait for 10,000 have very black, dirty oil which can't be good for an engine!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information on the flash upgrade? We have a 2011 Mainstreet and it idles roughly when first starting as well as at stoplights. I seen this post and called our dealership to ask if they knew about it and the service adivisor did not. I plan on taking it in and was hoping to have any info available handy.

Good to hear that your issue is solved!

I'm going to ask my dealer about any updates available for the engine and transmission when I take mine in for it's first oil change at 5000 Kms. My transmission is pretty hard shifting in some gears, especially when coming to a stop. There is a noticeable thunk when going from 4th to 3rd. I find that it just generally is not smooth shifting at all.

Just last night I recently starting having this problem as well. Feels like the transmission is going to drop out from the vehicle. When it shifts up from 3rd to 4th, its rough, and its noticeable, but when I'm stopping and it goes from 4th to 3rd its 10 times worse, like the entire vehicle shakes. Not cool at all. I'm heading in tomorrow to see about a fix. Did they do anything to help resolve your issue?

• 1 year later...

On a 2012 dodge journey, I am experience this also. Similar to some poster, I had experienced the hard shifting when slowing down too. It is really noticable when going downhill. Also, when going up hill, OD does not disengage, you must press the accel pedel down about 3/4 of the way, which causes the engine finally come out of OD and then down shift 1 or 2 gears.

The idle is also rough for a new vehicle. It shakes like an old 4-cyclinder idlling.

When I get it into service, I am going to mention about this article http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?/topic/2474-first-big-service-on-my-2011-crew/

With the rough idle, it seems like its the TSP or IAC value. It acts like the IAC valve (idle speed motor) is weak.

This is must first new vehichle. I had no choice becaues of expanding family and driving distance. Needless to say, this is why I don't buy new.