Brakes 2009

I was wondering if anyone here had to replace their back brakes on their Journey yet? I have 30,000 miles and the pads are completely gone. I tried changing them but I cant get the driver side rear piston to colapse so I can fit the caliper over the new pads. Any suggestions would be nice.

I tried loosening the bleeder screw and compressing the piston and this thing will not budge. When I apply the brake it grabs so I dont think it is seized.

Edited by buck22

Buck, did you get a letter from Chrysler with a recall for your brakes?

you will get free brakes if they worn out withing 12 months

24 months. max 24.000 miles: 50$ deductable

36 months. max 36.000 miles: 100$ deductible

please see you dealer.

Never got it but since I see this I will call. I had the fronts replaced didnt know they were doing the backs as well.

Thanks

The piston on the rear caliper needs to be screwed back in. There is a special tool for that.

Is this pretty easy to do? I seen else where people had problems getting the piston to work properly afterwards causeing over heating issues on the brake. If the dealer doesnt cover it I will end up doing it myself. I just need 4 months then I can finally rid myself of this lemon.

Has anyones esp and power outlet button went out yet. For some reason that doesnt work anymore

Buck, did you get a letter from Chrysler with a recall for your brakes?

you will get free brakes if they worn out withing 12 months

24 months. max 24.000 miles: 50$ deductable

36 months. max 36.000 miles: 100$ deductible

please see you dealer.

We previously had a '09 SXT we bought new in March 2008. By the summer of 2009 with 22K miles I had to replace the front pads (rotors were fine). Heard about the '09-'10 Caravans getting warranty brake replacements due to premature brake wear (same brake/rotors as Journeys) and called Chrysler Customer Assistance). Opened a case # and faxed in the required information (copy of service repair order and copy of method of payment - credit card receipt or check or cash receipt). Within a week I received a check for the full amount of the brake repair.

The good news was the new pads had far less brake dust than the originals. It was a manufacture issue with the original OEM supplier - the pad material was not compressed correctly during manufacture.

How dod everyone find out about the extended brake warranty? I never received a letter and if you search for Dodge 2009 Journey bulletins, it does not appear. i found out only as a chanve and I am furious! Had to replace front rotors and pads at 11,000 miles under warranty. 2 months ago noticed a problem again-didn't have the cas (assuming they were not covered) so parked the car and have been carpooling and driving an older car. Called the dealer to ask if by chanc they would be covered still since it was under a year since they were replaced---only AFTER I said when will Dodge acknowlege the problem or HAVE tey acknowledged it, was I told about the "bulletin". Problem is, just found this out, have 21K on car, but my 24 months is Wed! So now, rather than the 50.00 I should be paying, had they sent me a letter and I had gotten it repaired in Jan, I have to pay 100.00 because I will be a day or 2 past. Oh, and did I mention I alo need REAR rotors at 21K????? hmmm, and at under 12k, lifters replaced, water pump replaced, check engine light module and a whole bnch or related because check engine keeps coming on, replaced pass window motor (broken again), replaced 2 front visors, leak in 19" tires....and on and on!

• 2 months later...

had to replace front brakes at 9500 miles. It was out of warranty (I purchased the car used with only 5600k miles on it, but it was from 2009). They told me it would not be covered, however, could probably get Chrysler to pay if I front the first $100 which I did. Never once was told about any kind of special coverage or bulletin. This is my first and last Chrysler. Can't believe I switched from GM. This car is littered with problems and only has 13k miles on it. Brakes are just the begining of my growing list. Crap.

• 2 weeks later...

We previously had a '09 SXT we bought new in March 2008. By the summer of 2009 with 22K miles I had to replace the front pads (rotors were fine). Heard about the '09-'10 Caravans getting warranty brake replacements due to premature brake wear (same brake/rotors as Journeys) and called Chrysler Customer Assistance). Opened a case # and faxed in the required information (copy of service repair order and copy of method of payment - credit card receipt or check or cash receipt). Within a week I received a check for the full amount of the brake repair.

The good news was the new pads had far less brake dust than the originals. It was a manufacture issue with the original OEM supplier - the pad material was not compressed correctly during manufacture.

Doug,

The information that you received is incorrect. The compression issue was on the 2009 Caravan / Town and Country in beginning of the 2009 model year only and it really was not an issue, just something that Chrysler is saying so they are not being blamed for the undersized brake system. The same brake pad was not even used on the Journey in 2009. The brake pad that was installed on your Journey is the same pad that the Caravan has had since 2009, your Journey had the same pad that the Caravan had in 2008. The fact is that the brake system on the Journey and the Caravan are undersized and it causes the brake pads to wear out extremely quick.

• 3 months later...

Doug,

The information that you received is incorrect. The compression issue was on the 2009 Caravan / Town and Country in beginning of the 2009 model year only and it really was not an issue, just something that Chrysler is saying so they are not being blamed for the undersized brake system. The same brake pad was not even used on the Journey in 2009. The brake pad that was installed on your Journey is the same pad that the Caravan has had since 2009, your Journey had the same pad that the Caravan had in 2008. The fact is that the brake system on the Journey and the Caravan are undersized and it causes the brake pads to wear out extremely quick.

I 100% agree that the rotors and calipers are undersized for the vehicle. We've got 12" diameter rotors. I would suggest that the size should be at least 12.5", and ideally 13". I'm currently researching how/what other Dodge brakes will bolt on to the Journey to give us a bigger diameter and maybe better calipers. I'd love to have a set of SRT brakes and think maybe the SRT Caliber might work.

When I had my Caliber and was on the Caliberforumz it stated the Caliber SRT4

rotors and brakes were derived from the Charger Police package.

I believe the specs are still posted on that forum and a search there

will give you the specs.

When I had my Caliber and was on the Caliberforumz it stated the Caliber SRT4

rotors and brakes were derived from the Charger Police package.

I believe the specs are still posted on that forum and a search there

will give you the specs.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Found this in Wikipedia:

"The SRT4 uses large 13.4 in (34 cm) vented front disc brakes (from the Dodge Charger Police Pack version) with dual-piston calipers and 11.9 in (30 cm) rear single-piston disc brakes."

Sounds like the rear brakes are very similar to the ones on our Journey. The 13.4" front brakes are HUGE compared to our puny 12" fronts. I'm definitely going to look into this further. If anything it might require a custom caliper mounting bracket. Not sure about the rotor bolt sizing/spacing. I think they're the same as our car.