Mph - Kph setting for the EVIC always defaults to Mph

hereticj

I got the update installed on mine, its great! The dealership told me though that this update is working on some to keep the display on km/h or mph, depending on whatever your last setting was when you shut off the vehicle, but apparently it is not working on some other's to solve that particular problem. So it may be hit and miss for some.

My only problem now is I have an incredibly rough upshit, and downshift from 3rd to 4th gear... the whole vehicle shakes, feels like the transmission is just going to drop out of it. Not good... not good at all, back to the dealership I go again tomorrow...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the update installed on mine, its great! The dealership told me though that this update is working on some to keep the display on km/h or mph, depending on whatever your last setting was when you shut off the vehicle, but apparently it is not working on some other's to solve that particular problem. So it may be hit and miss for some.

My only problem now is I have an incredibly rough upshit, and downshift from 3rd to 4th gear... the whole vehicle shakes, feels like the transmission is just going to drop out of it. Not good... not good at all, back to the dealership I go again tomorrow...

I will be asking for the EVIC update when I take mine in for it's first oil change at 5000kms.

I have the exact same problem with the rough up/downshift for 3rd gear. For me, it is much more noticeable when downshifting from 4th to 3rd. It is quite a decent thunk most of the time.

Please keep us updated on what the dealer says about your transmission. Maybe start a new thread for it?

• 1 month later...

I can confirm again that getting the "garbled text on display" fix is the only update available, and it did fix the default setting from mph to kph.

As an added bonus, I plugged in my Iphone via USB, and it immediately showed all the ID3 tag information, as well as album art. This didnt work at all before I got the update.

I would like to know if the newest builds have this update installed already.. Len (fourfifths) did you pick up your Journey today? Does the evic stay in KM/h when you shut off the car?

Yes I did pickup our car today. Only got 45km/h on it, but so far it does stay in km/h.

Interesting in the album art thing... CAn anyone else confirm that this update seems to resolve that as well? I believe drb227 is going to be getting the update done when he gets the oil changed so he should be able to post back as well.

Sigh. My dealer said my Journey already had the update. He said they tried and it does stay at kph. I said I'm pretty sure it doesn't. He said, sorry, there is no update available.

So, I tried it again after I left the dealer to be sure I wasn't losing my mind. I turned it off and opened the driver's door, which kills the interior accessory power, then restarted and sure enough, it is back to Mph. ARGH. Next oil change, I'm going to a different dealer and am going to insist they install the right damn update.

drb227 - That's the issue I am wondering I will have as well when I get my oil change done... I am hoping they are able to find the update or have an idea of what I'm talking about... I live in a relatively smaller city, so I am not sure how many people would actually complain to the dealer about it... Time will tell.

All I can do is try again at a different dealer at my next oil change. This time, I'm going to show the service adviser the problem myself.

Went in for my first oil change and tire rotation, told them about the EVIC issue and they said there was a fix for it, and they'd install it under warranty. After i left the dealer, i checked, and it still defaults to MPH :(

Which dealer? I went to Paul Willison in Scarborough only because that's where we bought it through the fleet manager. I used to use Downsview quite a bit and will use them for my next attempt to get this fixed.

Just got a new 2011 Journey (Crew). Loving it so far.

I have the display setting set to show Metric, so it always shows celsius on the screen, etc., but for some reason, when I go to "Vehicle Speed" in the EVIC, it is always set to Mph and I have to change it. Once changed, it stays that way, until I shut the vehicle off, then it resets back.

Any ideas how to change this?

Thanks.

I wonder if this could be the problem:

ETTING STARTED

NOTE: The ignition switch must be in the ON or ACC

position to operate the radio.

If the unit is OFF, switch it ON by pushing the ON/OFF

VOLUME rotary knob.

Change the Language

The radio will conform to the vehicle language set in the

ELECTRONIC VEHICLE INFORMATION CENTER

(EVIC), if equipped.

If you change the language in the radio, the vehicle will

change the language for all display information. Refer to

the vehicles Owner’s Manual.

To change the language with the radio:

1. Press the MENU hard-key on the right side of the

radio.

2. Then press the System Setup soft-key to get to the

System Setup menu.

3. Press the Language soft-key and select a language.

Set the Time

1. Press the Time soft-key in the lower left corner of the

screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the dealer today to fix a problem with the Vr/Bluetooth and asked for the flash update also. The guy said that there are no update available for my vehicule. I insisted and told him to check about "garbled text update", He did not found anything. Then he called tech support and they said that something was coming about that but nothing available yet. Arrghhh.

He updated my PCM module though but it was not specifying what it was fixing.

will ask again for the update on my next oil change

So I got a call from my dealer today to schedule for an oil change, and they also indicated there is a bulletin for an issue with the instrument cluster. I asked if this was relating to the EVIC or the speed defaulting to kph, but she didn't know. My appointment is for Friday so I'll post back if it gets fixed.

When was your Journey built? The excuse I got was that my Journey already had the update applied, since it was built after the update was released, which I think is B.S. My Journey was built in January.

When you get the service done, can you please let us know what the bulletin # was for the repair? I want to be able to request the proper # next time I go in for an oil change.

Hey drb227, according to the sticker on the inside of the driver side door, my Journey was built January as well. When I go in there Friday I'll try to get the bulletin # and post back if they fixed it or not.

My Journey was at the dealer on Wednesday to check a condensation problem in the rear right brake light enclosure and I talked to them about the km/h vs mph issue -- there is a fix -- they did two separate software updates to my Journey -- the km/h is DEFINITELY fixed. Haven't found out what the second fix was for -- overall I was told that the fixes pertained to the instrument cluster / EVIC.

Cheers!

Do you happen to have a part # or some other identifying number that relates to the two fixes? This would be a big help to get the dealer to apply the right fixes.

Best I have is:

"Perform software update for IPC"

and

"18-19-45-91 Module, Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) - Reprogram (B) - 0.2hrs"

But honestly, your dealer should have them and know about it...

As an IT service provider doing work for various Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships, I know a fair bit about their inner workings...

Your dealer should not only know about it (service bulletins via DealerConnect and such systems) but should be nodding their head and offering to do the update under warranty ASAP...

If your dealer continues to play dumb, get me the name of the dealer and a phone number and I'll have someone from my local dealer call them for you and take them through what they need to do...It boggles my mind that some dealers out there are so clueless...this isn't rocket science... :)

Best I have is:

"Perform software update for IPC"

and

"18-19-45-91 Module, Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) - Reprogram (B) - 0.2hrs"

But honestly, your dealer should have them and know about it...

As an IT service provider doing work for various Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships, I know a fair bit about their inner workings...

Your dealer should not only know about it (service bulletins via DealerConnect and such systems) but should be nodding their head and offering to do the update under warranty ASAP...

If your dealer continues to play dumb, get me the name of the dealer and a phone number and I'll have someone from my local dealer call them for you and take them through what they need to do...It boggles my mind that some dealers out there are so clueless...this isn't rocket science... :)

Thanks for the info! I will ask for these two updates at my next oil change, which will be about 5 weeks from now.

I'm an IT service provider as well and it always frustrates me that many dealers simply don't know how to handle these software updates.